Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots  (Read 43651 times)

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2008, 10:22:31 AM »
If this game turns out as amazing it looks, I'll buy a PS3. I'm a major MGS fan and I just can't stand looking at screens and videos knowing that I don't have a PS3.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2008, 12:13:40 PM »
I watched a short video of the online beta and it seemed... clunky. Especially when someone is right behind you and you have to turn around. How does it control?

The controls are clunky but it's so good its basically Metal Gear Solid controls with some minor tweaks the aiming can be done in three ways auto aim(toggled automatically on by default, also the worst of the bunch),over the shoulder(RE4 style), FPS Perspective(toggled), the problem is that games like Halo and Gears of War spoiled people, Metal Gear Online is more realistic than those two, the game also uses a variation of the COD4 level up system except you level up your skills rather than leveling up to gain levels and unlocking features.

Metal Gear Online Starter Set is included with MGS4 and I believe that new maps and probably other features will be Download Content.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 12:17:35 PM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2008, 10:25:49 PM »
Interesting. So a more experienced player will receive bonuses to aiming, movement speed etc?
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2008, 08:11:39 PM »
Interesting. So a more experienced player will receive bonuses to aiming, movement speed etc?

Well yes and no because you can pick what skill bonuses you want and they range from movement speed, better lock on, weapon specific recoil reduction, better sniper aiming and so forth. Skill does set a part in how well you do in the match everyone starts with about 2000 points to spend on primary weapon(SMG, riffle, sniper) secondary firearm (pistol variety) and other (gernades, stun/stall gernades, adult magazine), these points can increase or decrease based on the performance of the current match. In the beta to go to level 2 you need 5 hours of gameplay and the better your level will allow you to have more skill slots(note how some higher level skills may take up more than one slot).

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2008, 12:20:50 AM »
So I decided that I am going to spring for the MGS4 PS3 Bundle at Walmart and get myself that extra $100 Blu Ray Gift Card they are offering this week (Grab up Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Ratchet and Clank with it).

Seems like a good enough deal and I have become fond of the MGS series as of late so I am highly anticipating Thursday. Anybody else picking this up?
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2008, 12:46:30 AM »
So I decided that I am going to spring for the MGS4 PS3 Bundle at Walmart and get myself that extra $100 Blu Ray Gift Card they are offering this week (Grab up Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Ratchet and Clank with it).

Seems like a good enough deal and I have become fond of the MGS series as of late so I am highly anticipating Thursday. Anybody else picking this up?

Me, all of because of you too.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2008, 01:17:14 AM »
Yes, I plan on joining the PS3 owners. I'll be at Walmart half the night if I have to.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2008, 01:43:35 AM »
Famitsu gave MGS:4 a 40/40, so in 2008 brawl and this got 40/40's. Anyways some walmarts have broken the street date on the 80GB PS3 MGS4 bundle.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2008, 06:26:46 PM »
Famitsu lost some credibility after giving Wind Waker a perfect score. Additionally, Brawl got a perfect score while Super Mario Galaxy got a 38/40. Still an excellent score, however, I just think SMG deserved a perfect score more because while Brawl offered so much more than its predecessor, Galaxy offered something different which I appreciate more. Even if Brawl had 20 more characters/stages, I'd still give SMG a higher score.

Anyway, there's a MGS4 spoiler video on youtube that I couldn't help but watch. Still, it was a slideshow of images and very few of them were major spoilers while others could easily be taken out of context. Apparently, Ocelot is f-ing jacked under the spaghetti western get-up.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2008, 08:35:39 PM »
Famitsu doesn't care about "different".  It wants more of the same.  In higher definition.

Post your MGS4 total installation times here!

Compete for prizes!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2008, 09:10:58 PM »
Mee too, but the only reason I'm getting this bundle is because I can at least get a controller with rumble even though Sony is still too cheap to offer component, or hdmi cables with the system.

The only system I won't have is the PSP. They just have to get rid of that awful analog stick wannabe.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2008, 01:26:04 AM »
Wellllllllll, went down to the local Walmart and I actually just came home with my MGS4 PS3!!!! Got the $100 giftcard as well and grabbed up Ratchet & Clank and Ninja Gaiden Sigma with it. Currently posting while I wait for MGS4 to install (10 minutes?!?).

I find it hilarious that they sold me the bundle early. I just told them that I called the store this morning and that they told me they had bundles in the back, sure enough the manager went back and found one for me and sold it off no questions asked. I'll have impressions soon.

Only bummer, no goddamn HDMI cable included, so I'm hijacking my PS2 component cables until my HDMI cable comes in from New Egg on Wednesday.

UPDATE:

So, played MGS4 for a little bit, and even with the component cables running at 1080i, this game is gorgeous. Controls have been refined a bit and take a few minutes to get used to. The game now features free look which makes it feel a lot less constricting; control in general feels smoother than in previous entries. The game starts off with heavy cutscenes (to be expected of an MGS game), but they are thought provoking, foreshadowing and at times funny. Considering the cutscenes are so long I didn't get much hands on play time, but what I did see was fantastic. Not sure where the story is going to go at this point, but the beginning features something interesting that will undoubtedly pique your curiosity if you have played the other entries of the series.

I also checked out Ratchet & Clank and Ninja Gaiden Sigma which were obtained via Giftcard and they were both awesome as well. Looking forward to more PS3 action tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 03:52:27 AM by Mr. Jack »
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2008, 03:57:28 AM »
Ratchet and Clank is my favorite PS3 game so far, so hopefully you'll enjoy it too.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2008, 07:09:22 AM »
Ratchet and Clank is my favorite PS3 game so far, so hopefully you'll enjoy it too.

It seems amazing, even better than the others which I hold in high regard as well.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2008, 08:39:26 AM »
Only bummer, no goddamn HDMI cable included, so I'm hijacking my PS2 component cables until my HDMI cable comes in from New Egg on Wednesday.

UPDATE:

So, played MGS4 for a little bit, and even with the component cables running at 1080i, this game is gorgeous.

No hdmi cable was to be expected, even I mentioned it on my post.

How come you're playing the game in 1080i, wouldn't 720p be the better choice?

Might I add that you, Mr.Jack, are one lucky bastard for being able to get the system earlier.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 08:40:58 AM by Caliban »

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2008, 09:32:53 AM »
Yeah I guess it just slipped my mind that no HDMI cable was included. I think even worse is that there weren't even component cables. Oh well, not much you can do about that. 720P might look better, I just didn't put much effort into looking at which was better on my TV because I'm ultimately waiting for the 1080P with the HDMI cable.

Yes, yes I am one lucky bastard. Gotta love the clueless Walmart employees in the electronic sections. The other Walmart in my area which I hit first was a definite no go because the guy working there obviously was knowledgeable about the release.

Here are a couple pics for your enjoyment:

Pic #1
Pic #2
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2008, 10:01:03 AM »
Component cables do 1080p, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video:

"Component video is capable of carrying signals such as 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p, although many TVs do not support 1080p through component video."

Well actually with that last statement I can assume then that your tv does not support 1080p through component cables.
Although it won't matter much because MGS4 is 720p native.
By the way I think that you are better off running the game at 720p, but then again if the game is only running at 30fps in average you won't notice much difference but the sharpness that 1080i does not have compared to 720p.
Where's Pro666 when you need him *sigh*, as he can offer you much better technical answers.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2008, 10:36:33 AM »
Protip: PS3 does not automatically upscale to your desired resolution like the 360 forcefully does, if you want the game to run in it's intended resolution(s) check off all the resolutions your TV can handle via the PS3 settings.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2008, 12:49:06 PM »

It's extremely tempting, but I'd kind of like the 80GB model instead.  I've been told that it can do upscaling of PS2 games, even if it isn't 100% backwards compatible.  Can anyone tell me if that's really worth it?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2008, 01:28:31 PM »
The bundled version is the 80GB model with the dual-shock (rumble) controller. The limited ed. Metal Gear bundle with the 'gunmetal' casing is 40GB.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2008, 02:40:42 PM »
Yeah, and Walmart doesn't sell the 80GB model.  At least not here.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2008, 03:56:22 PM »
It's extremely tempting, but I'd kind of like the 80GB model instead.  I've been told that it can do upscaling of PS2 games, even if it isn't 100% backwards compatible.  Can anyone tell me if that's really worth it?

You said you kind of like the 80GB model instead. But that's what the Metal Gear bundle is.

A free game, upgraded controller, and a $100 gift card and you're asking if its worth it. To my understanding, the 80GB has limited backwards compatibility based on software emulation.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2008, 04:04:56 PM »
Actually 2 free games, a code comes with the system for a free download of PAIN. It is essentially a souped up Flash Game, but it can be fun.
Check out PixlBit!

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2008, 04:35:53 PM »
You said you kind of like the 80GB model instead. But that's what the Metal Gear bundle is.

A free game, upgraded controller, and a $100 gift card and you're asking if its worth it. To my understanding, the 80GB has limited backwards compatibility based on software emulation.

Thanks for the tip.  I did some searching, and figured out that I was getting things confused thanks to the limited edition gunmetal bundle.  I blame Sony for having so many PS3 packages.  It's really going to come back and bite them.  I mean, if not for you setting me straight, I wasn't likely to buy a PS3 this week (I'm still not 100% sure, but I've been looking for something to spend my tax rebate on).

I was asking "Is it worth it?" in regards to having some backwards compatibility vs. none at all considering the price difference.  I have a PS2, but games that don't support progressive scan look pretty terrible on an HDTV, so the upscaling sounds nice to me, assuming it's any good.  That question is kind of pointless now, though.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 04:39:31 PM by UltimatePartyBear »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2008, 04:37:35 PM »
I am thankful to have the 60gb  non-gimped backward compatible system. Have you tried any games yet from PS2 or PSOne, Mr Jack?