Author Topic: Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized  (Read 302814 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized
« Reply #375 on: January 15, 2007, 07:19:16 AM »
I LOVED the first Pikmin to death.

But when I went to try the second one something happened...it never captured my imagination as the first one did.

I borrowed SB's copy and I tried getting into it but for some weird reason it never did. I would get somewhat far, then lose interest and stop playing.

Again, I can't exactly explain why that happened. Which is why I am hoping that if Pikmin Wii is indeed made the gameplay should be drastically different.

It was fun doing it two times, but it becomes annoying if you do it a third time.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 15, 2007, 08:31:37 AM »
"I LOVED the first Pikmin to death.

But when I went to try the second one something happened...it never captured my imagination as the first one did."

I'm the opposite.  Well I guess not the OPPOSITE since I like Pikmin 1 a lot too but Pikmin 2 is in my opinion the best Cube game.  Not only is a fantastic game it also feels a lot like the sequels Nintendo made in their peak where the formula was just different enough that it didn't feel like more of the same but it wasn't so different that it was a complete overhaul.  It helps that it was only the second game which makes it easier to avoid rehashing.

I never get it though when people say the Wii controller is perfect for Pikmin.  How so?  I don't see anything really obvious popping out at me unless you want it to play like WarCraft.  I know Miyamoto said something about Pikmin being perfect for it but aside from that it doesn't seem obvious to me.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized
« Reply #377 on: January 15, 2007, 08:46:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I know Miyamoto said something about Pikmin being perfect for it but aside from that it doesn't seem obvious to me.

Because you aren't Miyamoto. We don't understand alot of things he does or says, but in the end most of them do function properly.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 15, 2007, 09:03:50 AM »
Miyamoto is on a higher plain than the rest of us, I've come to accept that.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 15, 2007, 09:08:28 AM »

I never get it though when people say the Wii controller is perfect for Pikmin.  How so?  I don't see anything really obvious popping out at me unless you want it to play like WarCraft.  I know Miyamoto said something about Pikmin being perfect for it but aside from that it doesn't seem obvious to me.
It's perfect because you can easily point to a group of Pikmin and select them without wrestling with the C-stick, which a lot of people seem to have a problem with.  If they change the method for selecting Pikmin (i.e. the select range is no longer determined by how long you hold A) it could be every better.  For example, you could draw a box (e.g drag pointer from lower left corner to upper right corner) or individually select the exact Pikmin you want.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 15, 2007, 09:35:37 AM »
"Because you aren't Miyamoto. We don't understand alot of things he does or says, but in the end most of them do function properly."

Nice one, Caliban!

And thanks to the rest of you for your great support for Miyamoto! He is in a way, the Son of Nintendo! Truly, he is actually a lot like a real son of Nintendo´s Father who is Hiroshi Yamauchi!

Who would have first created the most memorable videogame characters and accompanying worlds ever, and, not stopping there, going on to educating an army of artists to uphold the flame of creativity within the Big N? And working tirelessly to keep it going? And when most other people due to age tone down their efforts at the work place, he steps up his efforts to make Nintendo even greater (also for a very large part thanks to Satoru Iwata)?

No, we should all be gratefull for that little great man, who has made our virtual lives so much more qualitative! Even if he "only" supervises games being produced!

Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 15, 2007, 09:49:40 AM »
I do wish Miyamoto would spend more time just making games.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 15, 2007, 11:02:39 AM »
He's 54 years old. He's been in the gaming industry for 25 years I think. Think of him like a Football/Soccer player in that they retire from playing at the average age of 34, giving the chance for younger players to rise to succes, but in the end they continue working in the sport in one way or another, as will Miyamoto continue to spend time in the industry but in a less focused matter.

Offline Mysticspike

• View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #383 on: February 25, 2007, 02:06:46 PM »
well, my Metroid Prime 3 thread was locked, so i'll hang out here. who has something to say about it? it looks interesting.
maybe just cause i love MP2-echoes
Someday, I will make my own Fantasy Factory to make all of my lifelong dreams come true...

Banana Productions<- Check out my Youtube channel.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 26, 2007, 06:59:24 AM »
Here's hoping the voice acting doesn't suck.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 26, 2007, 07:50:25 AM »
Even if the voice acting sucks, we probably won't have to endure much of it.  

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 04, 2007, 12:43:39 PM »
What's up, Q4?

Where is Metroid? Metroid is not going to ship by June. We've announced all of our games through the end of June. And the fact with Metroid is we want to make sure that that game is perfect. Unfortunately, Metroid Prime 2 didn't live up to our expectations, it didn't live up to Retro's expectations--

*sigh*

Hopefully Nintendo doesn't release Galaxy and Corruption within a month of each other, but who knows.  

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 04, 2007, 12:59:43 PM »
Good for them, make it perfect, just, please, please don't try to butcher the series to make it more "mainstream",  Echoes sold badly for bad advertisement and a terrible release time frame, not because it was an incomplete or bad game.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 04, 2007, 03:14:22 PM »

Is that in terms of sales or the actual game itself?

From a sales standpoint. I think we were all happy with the product itself. Certainly it won quite a bit of critical acclaim, but the sell-through wasn't what we wanted it to be.

forgets that NOA pushed the DS at the expense of MP2. Halo 2 and GTA: San Andreas had massive marketing and userbases on their respective systems; the 'cube was a lame duck by then. The gamble paid off in the long term, but in the short term MP2 got shafted. I feel like a broken record saying it time and time again...

MP3, SSB Brawl and Mario Galaxy theoretically in one quarter? Scary...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 04, 2007, 03:22:49 PM »
Brawl is definitely next year.. Metroid I expect in late August or early September, then Galaxy in November.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #390 on: April 04, 2007, 03:51:31 PM »
I'm hoping for MP3 this fall and Galaxy this summer, neither will happen, but it sure would be nice if it did. I agree with IceCold though, next year for Brawl. I think the best that we'll see is a release that coincides with Melee's release anniversary, December 3rd.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 04, 2007, 04:17:38 PM »
Me so confused. Nintendo seems to have taken the tact that they will only announce release dates for games that are within the quarter, thus confounding attempts at deducing their long term plans... like they're in permanent PR stealth mode!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 04, 2007, 05:21:33 PM »

Me so confused. Nintendo seems to have taken the tact that they will only announce release dates for games that are within the quarter, thus confounding attempts at deducing their long term plans... like they're in permanent PR stealth mode!

We are talking about Nintendo right? They are ALWAYS in PR stealth mode?
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 04, 2007, 05:40:15 PM »

Well... this time they're doing it BETTER somehow!

/pout

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 05, 2007, 06:23:37 AM »
I don't see how making Metroid Prime 3 better is going to help its sales.  I mean I want it to be the best it can but a lack quality sure as hell wasn't Metroid Prime 2's problem.  Metroid Prime 3 can be the greatest game of all time but without the right marketing push none of that would matter.  Making a great game is only part of it.  You have to let people know that you've made a great game and that it's now available for purchase.

Hell without the right marketing push reviews won't even be as good as they could be.  Part of why Ocarina of Time got so many perfect scores was because being the "best game ever" was part of the marketing.  The game had that kind of hype so magazines dedicated huge articles with 10/10 scores to sell magazines.  Games that aren't as hyped don't get the same coverage by the gaming media so they don't get as inflated of scores.  When the game is so hyped that people anticipate the eventual review the scores are often much higher.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 05, 2007, 10:24:43 AM »

I don't see how making Metroid Prime 3 better is going to help its sales.  I mean I want it to be the best it can but a lack quality sure as hell wasn't Metroid Prime 2's problem.  Metroid Prime 3 can be the greatest game of all time but without the right marketing push none of that would matter.  Making a great game is only part of it.  You have to let people know that you've made a great game and that it's now available for purchase.

Hell without the right marketing push reviews won't even be as good as they could be.  Part of why Ocarina of Time got so many perfect scores was because being the "best game ever" was part of the marketing.  The game had that kind of hype so magazines dedicated huge articles with 10/10 scores to sell magazines.  Games that aren't as hyped don't get the same coverage by the gaming media so they don't get as inflated of scores.  When the game is so hyped that people anticipate the eventual review the scores are often much higher.

I see it being better helping sales.  I would say the prime 2 was inferior to the first besides getting lower sales.  I would be disappointed if the new one didn't improve on it and I think others would be as well.  Making it better then the first two would certainly bring the excitement bar up a notch instead of just being another game in the series.

You also act like Metroid won't have hype.  It has been anticipated since it had a demo at e3.  It is going to have tons of hype when it comes out and being a better game would help push it into the must buy category even more.  Working on the game longer doesn't really have anything to do with what you assume will be a lackluster marketing compain or do you just really need to throw out something negative?    

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 05, 2007, 02:31:30 PM »

I mean I want it to be the best it can but a lack quality sure as hell wasn't Metroid Prime 2's problem.

Yeah it was. Most people I know who bought Prime 1 hated it and wouldn't touch Prime 2, plus the whole purple world was really unappealing.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 05, 2007, 02:34:09 PM »
OK, people have to stop saying Metroid Prime 2 did badly.  Yes it didn't sell as good as the first but it still sold well.

Metroid Prime 2 Sales

North America - 800,000
Japan - 70,000
Europe - 370,000
Total - 1.24 million

The reason Prime 2 didn't sell as well as Nintendo hoped was because of bad marketing, coming out the same time as Halo 2, and the biggest reason is the fact that the Gamecube was on it's death bed back in the fall of 2004.  

The first Metroid Prime was released back in the fall of 2002 when the Gamecube was still considered alive by most people.  If you look at the sales back then you'll see that Gamecube games were putting up good numbers and since Prime was the Gamecubes flagship title for the holiday it was the must have item for Gamecube owners.  Jump ahead 2 years and the Gamecube was in bad shape.  Third Parties had all completly abandoned the system and the media only talked about the PS2 and the X-Box, and so the Gamecube was all but forgotten by the average gamer.  So the only audience left for Prime 2 was the remaining hardcore Nintendo fans and that was it.

The fact that Prime 3 will be coming out now when the Wii is insanely popular I say is going to give it really good sales, but it'll never be a huge hit.  The Metroid franchise just isn't the type of series that alot of people play.  Yes it has a good sized loyal hardcore fanbase but to the average person, it's just not their thing.  I think it comes down to how you really have to think in Metroid games to figure your way through the world is what makes people back off.

Plus people also have to realize that the Metroid franchise has never been insanely popular.  Look at the numbers for the other Metroid games and you'll see the series has never really had huge mass market appeal.

Metroid

North America - 1.35 million
Japan - 1.04 million
Europe - 340,000
Total - 2.73 million

Metroid II: Return of Samus

North America - 860,000
Japan - 520,000
Europe - 340,000
Total - 1.72 million

Super Metroid

North America - 580,000
Japan - 710,000
Europe - 130,000
Total - 1.42 million

Metroid Fusion

North America - 1.08 million
Japan - 180,000
Europe - 290,000
Total - 1.55 million

Metroid Prime

North America - 1.92 million
Japan - 120,000
Europe -730,000
Total - 2.77 million

I already posted Prime 2's numbers, plus Zero Mission and Hunters both never passed the million mark so VGcharts doesn't have numbers for them.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 05, 2007, 02:42:33 PM »
The sheer amount of backtracking in MP2 killed the game for me. I seriously could not handle it. Every time I saw a door made out of benzoygium or some other such material which my massive explosive ordinances could not penetrate (they could penetrate space pirate armor, but a benzoygium rock? Forget it!) it just reminded me that I was going to have to walk back through that area yet again and it eventually became so irritating that it killed my desire to continue any further.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 05, 2007, 02:59:18 PM »
I don't understand the backtracking complaint with MP2.  How was the backtracking in MP2 any different than in MP?  How was it different from any Metroid game, for that matter?
GOREGASM!