Author Topic: What would it take to NOT sell you a revolution?  (Read 12472 times)

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:What would it take to NOT sell you a revolution?
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2006, 06:13:11 PM »
I don't think anyone here will boycott the Revolution just because of its name - they're just concerned about the impact of the name on others.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2006, 06:20:56 PM »
Basically nintendo would have to announce that they are turning mario into a gun toting, girl beating pimp.

Link would have to become basically a copy of Tingle

DK and Samus would have to make out on screen

then, and only then would I avoid the Wii

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2006, 06:43:48 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
Please kill me.

Very well.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2006, 06:48:44 PM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
Mantidor, you shut your mouth.

Some things you shouldn't even joke about, man. Not funny.

I wouldnt be surprised sadly. Clearly the new name of the console has one big message for us from Nintendo "we dont care if you, our all-time fans, like it or not, because you are not our focus anymore", and also, multiplayer games are more popular than the brilliant Metroid classic gameplay, not to mention that the focus of the console is clearly a multiplayer experience.

Also, Metroid is already a recognized name asociated with first person shooters...ok, its really not that popular but at least is better for them to rape Metroid and start creating their Halo-killer or multiplayer game with the franchise than creating a new franchise from scratch because is better for their market and profits (which already happened with hunters).

Finally, I get this feeling that the japanese branch, the most important, isnt very fond of Metroid in the first place, they don't like it for some reason, everytime Iwata or Miyamoto talk about the game the dont feel as excited as when the talk about Mario, Zelda or Kirby, for them is like "that western game", even if it was created by japanese people.

What Im really trying to say is, that at this point, honestly, all bets are off...  
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2006, 07:20:02 PM »
Well, it was created by Gunpei Yokoi, after all..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2006, 07:24:59 PM »

everytime Iwata or Miyamoto talk about the game the dont feel as excited as when the talk about Mario, Zelda or Kirby, for them is like "that western game", even if it was created by japanese people.

Maybe, but Miyamato made certain that Retro did a superb job on prime, so its obvious they take it at least somewhat seriously.

Offline RiskyChris

• View Profile
RE: What would it take to NOT sell you a revolution?
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2006, 07:25:21 PM »
Oh, Christ.  Nintendo hasn't abandoned its fans.  How can you derive such biggotry from a simple naming decision?

They've said time and time again that while they wish to broaden the market, they simultaneously will appease its core fanbase.

Color you jaded!

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2006, 07:26:38 PM »
If Ian doesn't recommend it come launch time I won't buy one.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2006, 08:29:11 PM »
Gee Mantidor. The name told me that Nintendo was everything I thought they were, and more. As a fan, what more could I ask for?

That's why there will be a Wii in my room come fall.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2006, 08:43:50 PM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
Mantidor, you shut your mouth.

Some things you shouldn't even joke about, man. Not funny.

What do you think "wii" implies? That you'll be enjoying primarily single player experiences?

Don't be surprised if EVERY game focuses on online play.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Stewpot

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2006, 08:46:15 PM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo
Square Enix is very unlikely, due to Sony's stranglehold on them. And Koei? What the...? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing they did for NES and SNES was Romance of the Three Kingdoms, correct? And who's going to want that when you could just get a newer one for about five dollars more?

Inindo for the Snes
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2006, 08:50:40 PM »
The Japanese are mainly indifferent to Metroid in general, so I suppose that could carry over to Nintendo execs. But then again, Miyamoto was the one cracking the whip on Prime, so he must have some fondness for it.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2006, 08:57:57 PM »

Originally posted by: Artimus  Miyamoto was the one cracking the whip on Prime, so he must have some fondness for it.

Or just cracking the whip in general.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2006, 09:00:26 PM »
"Don't be surprised if EVERY game focuses on online play."

OH COME ON
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2006, 09:15:04 PM »
"They've said time and time again that while they wish to broaden the market, they simultaneously will appease its core fanbase."

So? Just because they said so doesnt mean its true, its a PR statement and I have come to consider all their PR statements bullsh!t since the announcement of TP rev features. Their priority is to make money, not to please us, and blindly believing their statements is just pure fanboyism. Also, the whole "broaden market" rethoric shouldnt matter for us AT ALL, because they are focusing that expansion on the non-gamer, and that means more non-gamer games, less games for us the old fans. Thats specially true for Metroid, which is the most "anti non-gamer" game that comes from Nintendo.

For reference we should see the DS, because as Iwata said it gives you a glimpse of what to expect with revolution, and it happens that the whole "disruptive" "blue ocean" crap that we shouldnt care at all began with the DS. Number of Metroid games for the system: just one, guess what? a multiplayer focused game.

Metroid Dread, the supposedly metroid 2d scrolling game for the DS was: first, never officially announced by Nintendo; second, rumored cancelled; third, said to be in development, but the game wasnt ready to be shown at any of the past E3s according to ign. This is simple proof the game isnt recieving a lot of attention from Nintendo. We already have a lot of info in the new super mario bros and zelda games for the ds compared to the info on this, hopefully, real metroid game.

Now lets look at the "Wii", the information we have from its first party games is absolute zero, but we know that the console is heavily focused on multiplayer,  the flash announcing the new name even had hints of multiplayer first person shooting...

oh trust me I would love nothing more than to be wrong and Ill gladly eat my words when I plug the console to my Tv and play another awesome non-multiplayer-focused Metroid Prime game, but my concerns are certainly not unfounded.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2006, 09:17:31 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
"Don't be surprised if EVERY game focuses on online play."

OH COME ON

Come on "what"?

You don't think that some solid online plans aren't likely in place to go along with the whole "we" togetherness mentality?

Paladin likely has a lot of games which he didn't want to see have online play with online play coming out for the Rev.

Offline RiskyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2006, 09:28:37 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
"They've said time and time again that while they wish to broaden the market, they simultaneously will appease its core fanbase."

So? Just because they said so doesnt mean its true, its a PR statement and I have come to consider all their PR statements bullsh!t since the announcement of TP rev features. Their priority is to make money, not to please us, and blindly believing their statements is just pure fanboyism. Also, the whole "broaden market" rethoric shouldnt matter for us AT ALL, because they are focusing that expansion on the non-gamer, and that means more non-gamer games, less games for us the old fans. Thats specially true for Metroid, which is the most "anti non-gamer" game that comes from Nintendo.

For reference we should see the DS, because as Iwata said it gives you a glimpse of what to expect with revolution, and it happens that the whole "disruptive" "blue ocean" crap that we shouldnt care at all began with the DS. Number of Metroid games for the system: just one, guess what? a multiplayer focused game.

Metroid Dread, the supposedly metroid 2d scrolling game for the DS was: first, never officially announced by Nintendo; second, rumored cancelled; third, said to be in development, but the game wasnt ready to be shown at any of the past E3s according to ign. This is simple proof the game isnt recieving a lot of attention from Nintendo. We already have a lot of info in the new super mario bros and zelda games for the ds compared to the info on this, hopefully, real metroid game.

Now lets look at the "Wii", the information we have from its first party games is absolute zero, but we know that the console is heavily focused on multiplayer,  the flash announcing the new name even had hints of multiplayer first person shooting...

oh trust me I would love nothing more than to be wrong and Ill gladly eat my words when I plug the console to my Tv and play another awesome non-multiplayer-focused Metroid Prime game, but my concerns are certainly not unfounded.

I guess TP, new-gen Mario, MP3, SSBR(Wii?), and the Miyamoto IP aren't enough to satisfy us core gamers at launch.  Or NSMB and Zelda: PH should be completely ignored.

Or maybe because there's a distinct possibility that MP3 may not live up to the Metroid name is enough to consider fans abandoned.  Keep your doomsday talk to yourself.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2006, 09:35:33 PM »
"You don't think that some solid online plans aren't likely in place to go along with the whole "we" togetherness mentality?"

I think there will be solid online plans, and I think there will be a lot of emphasis on multiplayer experimentation, but I think it's a bit ridiculous to think that single player modes and singe player games will cease to exist.
Even in the flash animation, it features one i in the beginning.  Red Steel, by all appearances, is very much a single player oriented game.  There will be multiplayer, but not only that.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2006, 09:42:09 PM »
It would be stupid to make every game online multiplayer centric.

I mean, the first game shown was a multiplayer enabled enabled enabled game, but what was shown was the SINGLE PLAYER portion.  I think we can just port over Nintendo's love for mutliplayer games to an online arena.  I don't think they'll bend their franchises too much.  They know where their bread and butter is, their past.  
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2006, 09:50:11 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
I think there will be solid online plans, and I think there will be a lot of emphasis on multiplayer experimentation, but I think it's a bit ridiculous to think that single player modes and singe player games will cease to exist.
Even in the flash animation, it features one i in the beginning.  Red Steel, by all appearances, is very much a single player oriented game.  There will be multiplayer, but not only that.

I don't mean to say that single player won't be there: there will ALWAYS be games which exist better as single player experiences. I'm just saying that any game which CAN have online multiplayer likely will and that Pal shouldn't be surprised if it sometimes gets more love than the single player (ala MPH).

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2006, 09:52:07 PM »
"Or maybe because there's a distinct possibility that MP3 may not live up to the Metroid name is enough to consider fans abandoned."

Of course, Metroid fans will be abandoned, duh! Mario and Zelda games are nice and all, but Im talking about Metroid and its fans. is enough reason to skip a console? for some of us is, Id do it as form of protest, silly? indeed, I still will do it.

Also Miyamoto's new IP will be aimed at non-gamers partially or completly, thats almost a sure thing.

I will grant Nintendo that we have the chance to like the "non gamers" games, but they certainly wont be terribly worried if we dont.

" Keep your doomsday talk to yourself."

I wont, :P I think that at least I got Paladin to think twice about the real implications of the name "Wii", being the most loud anti-online person Ive ever seen.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2006, 10:29:21 PM »
I still believe Retro isn't stupid enough to turn MP3 into an online-focused shooter. I have faith in Retro, they haven't messed up the past two Metroids.

MPH wasn't made by Retro, so I'm discounting it as an unhappy fluke.

"Wii" still stands for traditional multiplayer as far as I'm concerned, probably with multiple Wiis since it's wireless.

And Zelda, Mario and Donkey Kong just don't fit online, so there's no threat of that happening.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2006, 10:49:19 PM »
This is what's so awesome about being a Miyamoto fan, and a fan of videogames in general as an exciting new medium. I have no predetermined wants, no predetermined needs. All I want is to be challenged and inspired and surprised.

For Nintendo to not sell me a Revolution, they'd need to do what Blizzard did to get me to quit WoW: convince me that they will no longer be the people who will show me something new.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2006, 12:00:23 AM »
" I still believe Retro isn't stupid enough to turn MP3 into an online-focused shooter. I have faith in Retro, they haven't messed up the past two Metroids."

It probably doesnt depend on them, Miyamoto came into MP development and "turn upside the table" as we all know, the same can happen now, if Nintendo wants the game to be their multiplayer shooter Retro wont be able to stop it.

Theres also no guarantee about Mario and Zelda being untouched in the multiplayer department, maybe thats the future of gaming, like 3D was back in its day, we are unfortunately in the minority that just dont like it, so we will feel what the really small minority who cant stand 3D felt those years ago.

Remember, is not about you or me, is about Wii, in this case it seems, is about them, anti online enthusiast like us are left behind.

Just giving you a hard time , lets pray for a minblowing Metroid Prime game for the new console!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2006, 03:56:02 AM »
A 3+ month delay for no appropriate reason, with nothing to add a bonus for my patience would really put me off getting one.

That and being in the UK to act as an excuse to charge more for the console (and hardware/softwatre extras, whether they are on the "worldwiide" virtual console or not) than any other country.