Author Topic: Recolution a lost battle?  (Read 11930 times)

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Revolution a lost battle?
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2005, 09:09:50 PM »
I would agree with you Pug if it didn't seem like the only thing being upgraded this gen is graphics.

Comparing a super computer to an 8 bit processor is a little out of scope. I'm sure that all three systems next gen will be just a comparable as they were the last, and the one before that, and the one before that... You make it sound like the REV is going to be some sort of abacus in comparison to the PS3 and XBOX 360.

Hell we don't even have any REV specs to go off of and your already whining. The only system we have seen anything real on is the XBOX360 and they look to me to be about .5 times better than current generation XBOX titles. Infact I feel that almost every XBOX 360 game shone could have been done on a current XBOX with more RAM. I'm OK with this though because I know that they really are not using the full power of the system yet, and the games allready look great to me as they are.

Don't even get me started on the PS3's showing. If you want to believe that the Killzone 2 trailer is anywere near in-game then prepare your self for disapointment.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline tpfkanep

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2005, 09:26:31 PM »
Sony themselves state: Design and specifications are subject to change without notice. Thursday, Thursday, I want you now!

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution a lost battle?
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2005, 10:38:44 AM »
Pug, you amuse me for several reasons.  One, you make a bunch of false assumptions about me.  That's funny because you cited HTML, a programming language built entirely for webpage creation and nothing more.  Hell, that's given based on name alone - hypertext markup language.  Nothing having to do with gaming at all.  So that's a cute comment and all, but it's off base and pretty much a knee-jerk reaction that even a high school computer science student might giggle at.

Then you can't name Kasperov, but I don't necessarily hold that against you since it's largely a trivial point for two reasons: 1) It doesn't help your argument, and 2) it's just a Jeopardy question (meaning this reason is far less significant but I wanted to point it out anyway).  Although, I would like to add that Deep Blue is nothing BUT programming, that graphics don't even enter into the equation (does it even have graphical output?), and that it is thinking out moves for several minutes (if not hours) at a time.  Yes, that would make for brilliant gameplay - we could watch enemies assume The Thinker position and tell us "Wait, I almost know what I want to do here."  It's a supercomputer of CODE, yes, but it's devoted to nothing BUT code, and there's NO WAY to gauge it's graphical performance because, surprise, no one has done it before.  Without any kind of graphical accelerators or video hardware, what does this have to do with anything?  Let's keep this in the realm of the video game industry.

"Calculating more lines in the same amount of time makes it far easier on programmers, not harder."

Um, what?  Writing MORE code is somehow better?  I will have to have that explained to me.  This sounds like a managerial comment at McDonalds - "Hey, if we stay open twenty FOUR hours, we can make more profit.  Nevermind the losers running the stand at 4 AM, they can deal with it if I tell them to."  So some guy decides 500K lines of code isn't enough, and tripling it makes it better?  Yea, it MIGHT make it better IF the programmers don't tell him to eat sh*t first and write half ass code.  But in an industry that demands 60-70 hour weeks for months at a time, who in the hell has time for that?  You can ask the EA programmers.  I'm sure they'd be delighted to think about writing MORE code for a useless engine that won't showcase a damn thing they worked on anyway.

"I really think your missing the point here too, if for example there were a hundred enemies on the N64 how many could or would you have on a PS3"

Fairly irrelevent.  If the N64 can make a character react to the same atmospheric and environmental effects in the same general way as the PS3, whats the damn difference?  It all goes back to the idea of games looking better but still playing, looking, controlling, and feeling the same.  What is the honest difference between Final fantasy 1 on the NES and the fundamental cores of FF7, 8, 9, 10, etc?  You do largely the same thing in all of them.  Yea, FF7 and the like introduce some nice new elements, they look killer, but so what?  I cast Ice 3 in FF and kill an enemy in 5 seconds.  Or I can cast it in FF7 and wait the 45 seconds that Square thinks is necessary to prove to me their artists got a lot of damn time on their hands.  In both instances it's almost the same game.  An FPS on the PC years ago is almost identical to anything out now.  Half Life gets trumped by Half Life 2, but aside from the physics engine, whats the difference?

I think you're the one missing the point that I was getting at.  Can the PS do PS2 games?  No.  It can't emulate 1/10th the graphics.  But any sort of engine on it could be duplicated on both systems fairly well and you'd never notice much of a difference.  Is there really any doubt that the mechanics of a game can't be retrofitted?  If not, I suggest you look at the GBA.  Talented programmers are spitting out some massively impressive 3D engines on it, and this is something a little more powerful than the SNES.  That's code optimization because that technology has been around forever.  If you fully optimized the code of a PS2 or Gamecube or Xbox, I bet you could get games much better looking than RE4, Halo 2, or ZOE 2.

Hell, I remember back on a PC100 mhz computer playing Stunts, a fully 3D polygon racing game.  This is fully 4-5 years before the N64, and it was honestly comparable to first gen games.  The cars controller well, you biult your own courses, the draw in distance was amazing.  We're talking all of this before 3D hardware acceleration, before nVidia and ATI, before a thousand innovations in graphical technology.  Before AGP even.  And it ran without a hitch, had effects, opponents, racing AI, the whole 9 yards.  

Whats the point I'm making?  If someone took the time, they could make an engine, fill it FULL of effects, FULL of physics, FULL of shaders and lighting and complicated AI, and STILL manage to make it run on the current generation systems with fantastic graphics.  But the time it would take to fully understand and unleash that kind of power would require thousands of hours of programming and research.  Companies do not, and more importantly WILL not, sacrifice that kind of time in such a competitive market.  There's no need to increase the power of a system 10 fold when you haven't even tapped the final innards of the current gen, NOR will you ever tap the full potential of the next gen.

I talked with a friend of mine who has done internship research with virtual reality companies, is currently purusing a computer architecture degree, and has programmed for the greater part of the last 10 years of his life.  He might not rank with game develop programmers yet, but he's got enough insight to know what he's talking about, and he's a brilliant guy to boot.  So he knows far more than me.  And he knows that throwing 3 3.2ghz processers into a system is largely wasteful because the chances of them getting all three to work in tandem is difficult enough, and in most cases, one will do all the work and shovel off ancillary commands to the other one, and in rare cases, both.  There's no way Microsoft is going to allow Bungie to sit back and fully wrangle the power out of all three processors.  They don't have the time.  And even if they DID ever make an engine that COULD do something like that, the artists would be worked to death filling up the screen with a bunch of useless polygons.  There's no way in hell it would happen, ever.  Most commands can't even be executed by two chips - only certain applications can be run on dual processors.  And Microsoft thinks three are needed?  You could cut one off and there'd be little, if any, loss in power.  No one would know the damn difference.  It's like having 512 megs of ram versus a gig of it when all you awnt to do is check your e-mail.  If you can do it with 64 megs without a hitch, whats the damn need for all that useless power?

You're right - a Gameboy can't compare to a PS3.  That's a stupid comparison and you're probably smart enough to know I wasn't saying that.  The point I'm making is that all this power is largely useless, it won't make games look "omfg so much battar!!111" than today's games, and it will NEVER be an infinite possibility.  Until we can automate graphics rendering in such a way that humans can get machines to do it for them, NO ONE has the resources, manpower, sweat, or determination to take a system with that kind of power to it's potential max.  There's just no way to do it and NOT work on a game with hundreds of peopel for years at a time.  If that were the case, the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wouldn't be that - a fiasco - but rather something commonplace.

People bitch when Nitnendo takes 3 years to make Zelda.  I can't imagine the groaning if Nintendo tried to push graphics even further and took 5, 6, or 7 years.

And I gaurantee you that if they wanted to, they could have.  But no one has the time in this market.  

And no programmers are going to be allowed to sit around and try to optimize something like that.  It's not going to happen.  At some point, it's all going to level off, and games are going to look all generically the same.  Who in the hell honestly thinks you need more than a few dozen characters on screen?  We're limited enough by 2D television technology as IS, who in the f*ck wants to clog their screen up with a bunch of useless bodies?  Oh wait, and they better all have clothing dynamics, water effects, and personalized shadows.

Yea right.

Give me a break.  The graphics argument is dead and has been since the friggin Dreamcast.

I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2005, 10:48:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Strell Give me a break.  The graphics argument is dead and has been since the friggin Dreamcast.

I agree with you, and you make a damn good post...

But try telling the raving Sony and MS fans that.

Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2005, 12:43:55 PM »
Quite frankly I can't see so much negativity about the Rev or how they haven't given much detail about it, quite sickening actually. We are still in May and until the end of year there are many months to come. It will come out next year, hopefully not by end of year, and until then there are still many GameCube/DS/GBA games to be played, so please have some patience and modesty. When the Rev comes out and you don't like it then get one of the other systems.

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2005, 01:41:12 PM »

Originally posted by: PugGTI
Why does everyone think that newer and better technology only means better graphics??
What about the much better AI?
Collision detection?
Ease of development?
The list goes on...

Ok, while I believe this is a relatively useless topic I do have to agree with him here.  The power in the console dictates the complexity of AI, physics, advanced play mechanics, and other programming techniques.  I just posting something about this in another thread so I'll keep it short.  I believe that it is important for the next gen consoles to be powerful enough for more immersive graphics and better AI, etc.  AND have a better way to interact with the games.  As far as I can tell Nintendo are the only ones taking the second one seriously but also the only ones deciding to slack on the first one.  Kind of a hand off but will it pay off?  Would you rather have more simplistic AI for characters in a simple-looking environment controlled effortlessly and naturally or would you rather have an unnatural and more "mechanical" control mechanism in a life-like and beatuiful world?

...I just wish Nintendo pressed both as being important you know?  

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2005, 02:02:44 PM »
Let me say this:

I do think Pug has a good point - it's valid, it's significant.

What I'm saying is that just because you have the capability doesn't mean it will be harnessed.  A more powerful system to the majority of people screams and equals better graphics.  A small majority of people will try to crank out better physics and AI.  And even then, the majority of the time, they won't care and won't try to - they've got people yelling at them to get the game out ASAP.  

Having the power to do something and actually doing it?  That's the question here.  And my guess is that maybe 5-10% of anyone is going to care that they can simulate a dead body falling down stairs better than before.  Wow, hoo-ray, sign me up.  They'll fill up all that power with graphics.  

In other words, given a more powerful system, developers are going to harness that power in the easiest way accessible and in the way that will make the most direct impact.  Guess what that is?  Graphics.  

I didn't read anyone at MS saying "think of the physics!" when the 360 came out.  I beleive they showed a bunch of videos.  Did anyone else see endless lists of code?

I sure didn't.

I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2005, 02:18:16 PM »

Originally posted by: Strell
Let me say this:

I do think Pug has a good point - it's valid, it's significant.

What I'm saying is that just because you have the capability doesn't mean it will be harnessed.  A more powerful system to the majority of people screams and equals better graphics.  A small majority of people will try to crank out better physics and AI.  And even then, the majority of the time, they won't care and won't try to - they've got people yelling at them to get the game out ASAP.  

Having the power to do something and actually doing it?  That's the question here.  And my guess is that maybe 5-10% of anyone is going to care that they can simulate a dead body falling down stairs better than before.  Wow, hoo-ray, sign me up.  They'll fill up all that power with graphics.  

In other words, given a more powerful system, developers are going to harness that power in the easiest way accessible and in the way that will make the most direct impact.  Guess what that is?  Graphics.  

I didn't read anyone at MS saying "think of the physics!" when the 360 came out.  I beleive they showed a bunch of videos.  Did anyone else see endless lists of code?

I sure didn't.

Yep excellent point.  Game developement is driven by what sells...and graphics sell more then other aspects of games such as physics.  It's just too bad Nintendo is going to have a hard battle to fight to try and convice people graphics aren't as important in a game as how you control it.  Also, how are we to know that developers will actually ustilize Nintendo's "revolutionary" new control mechanism?  My guess is they won't nearly as well as they could...just as is happening with the DS.  Nintendo is the only company really trying to explore new territory and they are the ones getting the most sh*t for their efforts.  It breaks my heart.

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2005, 10:04:11 PM »
I seriously doubt I will buy a Revolution... DEFINITELY not at launch... maybe never. The Gamecube has been a major disappointment for me and my game tastes skew more to Microsoft & Sony console games. When they showed off the Revolution... I said to myself ' Nintendo is doing it again '. They Revolution looks like Gamecube 2 in that it looks like toy again. From cute purple box to bland very small zip drive. I could be wrong and the games could be extraordinary and great and make me want a Revolution but I doubt it. I will definitely get a Xbox 360 and probably a Sony PS3 ( UNLESS it is $400 or $500 , then screw it and I'll wait ).  

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2005, 10:13:32 PM »

Originally posted by: BrianSLA
They Revolution looks like Gamecube 2 in that it looks like toy again. From cute purple box to bland very small zip drive.

Here I was thinking you were going to make a valid point, and then you toss this as why you dislike the Revolution already? Yes, great point, lord knows how many times I had to slap a kid upside the head for bringing his zip drive to the sandbox... So zip drives look like toys? News to me.

Anyway, I love the look of the Revolution, I have no problems with it at all. Personally I think the PS3 looks the best of the three, but the size aspect tips the scales very much in the Revolution's favor IMO.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2005, 11:30:46 PM »
I dunno...I thought the PS3 looked a little...bland.

Like Sony was trying too hard to make it look cool.  

I really liked the look of the Rev.  When I first saw the tiny thumbnail that was circulating around before the Ninty press conference, I was impressed.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2005, 04:53:45 PM »
Even if Revolution is quite possibly the worst console in game industry history, which I assure you, it is NOT, I'm still buying it so I can have 20 years worth of Nintendo in a tiny little box.

P.S.: Xbox 360
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2005, 05:05:40 PM »
It's IMPOSSIBLE for it to be the worst gaming console in history.  It's already THE BEST as far as I'm concerned.  Here's how it pans out for me:

1) The Rev is going to have all of Nintendo's franchises, plus new ones, including another Miyamoto gem at launch (the GC had Pikmin, which was awesome)
2) The GC is my favorite console ever.
3) I grew up with the N64, and I would love to play alot of them with the GC's or possibly the Rev's controller.
4) The SNES is said to be the greatest console of all time, and even though I already have most of the "must-own" titles, there's still a bunch that are hard to find (EMULATORS SUCK)
5) I never got to really experience the NES apart from Mario, Duck Hunt (goty), ad what was offered on the GC by way of AC of the Zelda Collector's Disk.  So most of it will be new to me.

How can that fail?  It can't.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2005, 07:24:38 PM »

Originally posted by: BrianSLA
I seriously doubt I will buy a Revolution... DEFINITELY not at launch... maybe never. The Gamecube has been a major disappointment for me and my game tastes skew more to Microsoft & Sony console games. When they showed off the Revolution... I said to myself ' Nintendo is doing it again '. They Revolution looks like Gamecube 2 in that it looks like toy again. From cute purple box to bland very small zip drive. I could be wrong and the games could be extraordinary and great and make me want a Revolution but I doubt it. I will definitely get a Xbox 360 and probably a Sony PS3 ( UNLESS it is $400 or $500 , then screw it and I'll wait ).

So uh... Why the hell did you buy a Gamecube?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown