Author Topic: Official DS Sales Thread  (Read 706397 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: PSP outsells DS for the first time (EDIT)
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2005, 09:02:25 PM »

(EDIT - I've recently found out these numbers are FAKE. I think the DS outsold PSP [again] this week. Geez, it's like people actually want DS to fail... )

Ummm, they aren't fake, got proof?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2005, 04:19:41 AM »
The media currently seems to do their best to repair the floodgates the DS broke through and attempt to sway people to the PSP... Somehow they are more critical of the DS than the PSP but that might be the "grass greener on other side" effect, once the PSP is out here I'd imagine the tones to change a bit.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:PSP outsells DS for the first time (EDIT)
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2005, 10:47:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario

(EDIT - I've recently found out these numbers are FAKE. I think the DS outsold PSP [again] this week. Geez, it's like people actually want DS to fail... )

Ummm, they aren't fake, got proof?

Really? Hmm, everyone kept telling me they were fake... then some people told me they were real...

Agh, I'm confused. I guess they're real then.
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2005, 03:17:45 PM »
The media expects more from Nintendo. Anyway, I don't see any PSP reviews better than Mario 64 DS, which I think we can all agree on as a general disappointment as a launch title, and it's the only first party game from launch until now, and beyond. What does the PSP have better? Nothing I can think of. I think they both have things the other should have... I don't really care all that much for the second screen, although i'm not saying its bad, but there isn't TONS of reason not to go with just one big screen. BUT i'm totally for the touch screen, microphone, stereo speakers, Wi-Fi, wireless LAN, all of which I hope become handheld standards. At the same time I love the PSP's power and screen. You know, there's no reason the DS shouldn't be as fast as the PSP. What drives the PSP price isn't the 333 Mhz (as opposed to combined 100 mhz) CPU, CPU's are cheap as dirt. It's the disc drive, screen, and all that stuff... I think the DS should at least have have dual 166 mhz main CPU, and then the 33 Mhz GBA cp. The cost would barely go up, Nintendo could probably still make a profit, and at that level we're talking about the raw power of a Dreamcast, but all concentrated on rendering at half the resolution of a TV. Basically 2 times the clock speed to pixel ratio of the Dreamcast... At that speed the DS could output full 3D graphics N64 quality to both screens at once... Unlike where now if you want 3D on both at once it won't look to great...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2005, 05:05:53 PM »
what

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2005, 06:08:37 PM »
The numbers are real. However, PSP outsold DS by 9,000 units. This is the first time the DS has NOT outsold PSP by at least 40,000 units, IIRC. Sony's software sales are nowhere near as high as DS' atm.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2005, 02:40:50 PM »
Well PSP outsold DS for the second time last week....

Enterbrain Numbers for 17 - 23rd Jan ,

PSP:66,000
PS2:52,000
DS:47,000
GBA SP:19,000
GC:4,000
GBA:600
XB:400

And software:

1 PS2 Monster Hunter G 128,000
2 PS2 Fuun Bakumatsuden 54,000
3 PS2 Gran Turismo 4 33,000 (924,000)
4 DS Sawaru: Made In Wario 26,000 (604,000)
5 PS2 Mahou Sensei Negima! Tokime - Magister Negi Magi 26,000
6 GBA Mario Party Advance 26,000 (99,000)
7 DS Super Mario 64 26,000 (586,000)

8 PS2 DQ & FF in Itadaki Street Special 21,000 (328,000)
9 PSP Everybody's Golf Portable 18,000 (245,000)
10 PS2 Neon Genesis Evangelion: Koutetsu no Girlfriend 17,000
11 GBA Bouken Ou Beet Busters Road 14,000
12 PS2 Daito Pachislot 13,000 (359,000)
13 PS2 義経英雄伝 13,000 (53,000)
14 PSP Ridge Racers 12,000 (198,000)
15 GBA Rockman EXE 5 Team Of Blues 12,000 (323,000)
16 PS2 Dragon Quest VIII 11,000 (3,417,000)
17 PS2 Metal Gear Solid 3 10,000 (770,000)
18 PSP Dynasty Warriors 9,700 (190,000)
19 PSP Piposaru Academy 9,400 (61,000)
20 DS Pokemon Dash 8,600 (274,000)

Heh.. not good, also, the DS seems to be killing off Nintendo's money maker the GBA SP, which is not good at all. PSP software is creeping up on DS software too, and Everybody's Golf is now in front of both DS games in the daily charts.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2005, 02:50:05 PM »
Ugh... that can't be good.  You know, the GameCube had record-breaking sales when it first launched, so we can't really determine the future just yet... but anyway, do you think the DS will eventually catch up?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2005, 03:07:06 PM »
Well at this rate it's going to take the PSP 8 months to catch up to the DS's total sales assuming it continues outselling it, but Catch! Touch! Yoshi! was just released for DS today, and I think that might boost sales, I don't really see many big PSP games coming out in the future. DS hardware sales will shoot up when the first Pokemon DS details are shown too.

It's very hard to tell, and it's still early, both systems could still be selling out of all their shipments. I think both systems will co-exist and both will be successes, it remains to be seen whether or not the PSP's initial "OMG BIG SCREEN, GRAPHICS" gimmick will wear off or not.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2005, 03:28:25 PM »
Indeed, it is much too early to tell, but we all know that, right? =p

Mario brought something up that's probably pretty obvious, but I haven't really thought about.  As of right now, the DS is the one with the gimmicks, and the PSP is the "hardcore" gaming machine.  But in the future, the DS will prove itself software-wise, and maybe the PSP will turn into the gimmick machine once  people start to realize that they already played a better version of this on their PS2s.

But, I honestly believe that both systems can coexist, peacefully at that.  The DS is really just testing the waters to see how the public takes a shift in the way games are played as preparation for the Revolution, and already it's been hugely successful.  Preorders, what, doubled what Nintendo expected?  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline mT3

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2005, 10:44:20 PM »
how many units has yoshi touch and go sold atm?

Offline DemonFox

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2005, 03:20:01 AM »

Originally posted by: mT3
how many units has yoshi touch and go sold atm?

It's only been out for 1 day... I don't think they have numbers yet. But it sold at least one cuz I ordered it.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2005, 03:25:48 AM »
Daily charts for yesterday the 27th, when Yoshi and RE4 came out

27th Jan:

01. Monster Hunter G PS2
02. Biohazard 4 GC
03. Radiata Stories PS2
04. Another Century's Episode PS2
05. Gran Turismo 4 PS2
06. Minna no Golf PSP
07. Yuen PS2
08. Sawaru Made in Wario NDS
09. Super Mario 64 DS NDS
10. Dynasty Warriors PSP
11. Ridge Racers PSP
12. Mario Party Advance GBA
13. Daitogeki PS2
14. DQ+FF Itadaki Street Special PS2
15. Mahou Sensei Negima PS2
16. Piposaru Acedemy PSP
17. Dragon Quest VIII PS2
18. NGE Girlfriend of Steel 2nd PS2
19. Catch! Touch! Yoshi! NDS
20. Rockman EXE 5 GBA (tie)
20. Fist of the North Star PS2 (tie)

Ouch... RE4 and Yoshi flopped on day one, but will they have legs?

EDIT: Nevermind, those sales were RELEASED on the 27th, but they are from the 26th , I guess some people got  RE4 and Yoshi early. Nothing to see in this post folks.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2005, 07:55:33 AM »
So Biohazard 4 sold enough copies to rank it as #2 for the day and it hadn't even been released yet?  Looks like we have a winner!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2005, 08:47:51 AM »
So the PSP outsold the DS by 19,000 eh?

PSPĀF66,000
DSĀF47,000

So if it continues to outsell the DS by 19,000 a week it will take 100 weeks to pass the DS
(since the DS is at least 1.9 million ahead of the PSP)

I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.  

Offline mT3

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2005, 11:09:18 AM »
Does this mean the PSP out sold the DS for hte second week? im starting to get worried. what if the DS weekly figures keep declining and the PSP stay the same or incline. there could be one possibly explanation for this , and i think that the DS has already hit its peak. Its been out longer and the rush is over. The PSP's has just started. Atleast i hope. anyway god bless the DS and i cant wait for february 24th AUSTRALIA release. hehehe.

all the eb stores over here have started advertising and taking preorders, all you ever see are people looking at it and asking stupid questions.
"Can you touch the screen?"
"Can i play multiplayer games without using a cord?"
"Does the pen scratch the screen?"

lol anyways cyas

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2005, 12:30:05 PM »

So if it continues to outsell the DS by 19,000 a week it will take 100 weeks to pass the DS
(since the DS is at least 1.9 million ahead of the PSP)

... So it will take approximately 2 years to catch up to DS if it continues to sell 19,000 a week.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2005, 12:34:19 PM »
Pretty much, if it continues to outsell the DS by 19,000 every week in two years it'll catch up to the DS, and since it isn't likely to outsell the DS by 19,000 every week for two years, especially when nintendo releases its online plans its not really anything to worry about

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2005, 05:14:41 AM »
Two months ago Nintendo owned 100% of the portable market.  Looking at these early sales, I think the safe bets are on PSP to be the first handheld to truly go toe-to-toe with Nintendo's.  And that's bad news for Nintendo, which relies entirely on videogames to survive, and has been losing marketshare with each new generation of home consoles.  The days of Nintendo riding on the success of Gameboy are over, and if Nintendo can't recover some of the home console market, my favourite game company may be...in the long, long run...doomed.

Nothing like that is going to happen any time soon, but we're looking at one more case of Nintendo losing marketshare.  I don't think we should panic over this, for sure.  DS is doing fine, and I think it's going to be a big success.  But it's not going to be an uncontested success like Gameboy Advance was.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2005, 05:21:35 AM »
Well that depends on the long run, if PSP fails to garner the games then in the long run it'll tank.

This intial sales are totally on hype, the race has just begun, the winner won't be clear for 1-2 yrs. at least.

Not to mention sony is losing alot of money in the hopes of gaining the market so if they continue to see financial losses and don't manage to steal a sizeable portion of the market they may not remain in the market for long.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2005, 05:39:00 AM »
I think the DS holds all the trump cards in Japan.  Pokemon of course will sell a lot of DS's.  The unusually heavy, almost exclusive Square Enix support will probably sell a lot too.  Jump Superstars looks to be the next big thing, considering it is essentialy Super Smash Brothers (which Japan seems to like) with manga characters in it (which Japan also seems to like.)  Does Sony have anything coming up with that kind of insane popularity (Pokemon), general popularity (Square Enix stuff), or potential popularity (Jump Superstars)?

America might be a little different, but if the best the PSP can muster is a rabble of console-port sports games and interesting-yet-not-as-interesting-as-DS-puzzlers puzzle games for launch, then they might have problems.

Also on a note about sales...
                          Sold      /    Shipped
Nintendo DS = 1,657,684 / 1,800,000
Sony PSP    =   608,906   /  800,000

DS's seems to be less available as of right now.  I dunno if they means they are more desired or not, though, but it is interesting, yes?  
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2005, 06:20:33 AM »
I'm thinking that the DS is harder to find in japan right now because all of the manufacturing is going towards supply for the EU launch.   The sales will go back up once the launch production is finished.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2005, 08:11:34 AM »
You know, sales of Pokemon Fire Red & Leaf Green downright PROVED Pokemon still sells. They were friggin remakes, and they sold through the roof.

If they were mere remakes, and PKMN D&P are entirely new games that are said to change the series, I imagine they will garner Godly sales.

Also, Sony is losing a heap of money with this PSP stuff. And they've chosen possibly the worst release date for it. If PSP doesn't garner enough sales, Sony might actually be forced to discontinue, because of all the money they are losing.

I think Nintendo could win this battle, but not outright dominate it like other battles, which isn't necesarilly a bad thing.

And I think Nintendo could quite possibly be the leader next gen as well.  

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2005, 02:20:02 PM »
I wonder if anyone has any numbers in other portables launch, like the game gear or the Ngage.  I mean has the psp really surpassed the performance of other handhelds doing a fair comparison of their respective launchs?
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2005, 02:27:54 PM »
The NGage has sold 1.3 million units so far. Mario said the Wonderswan had sold 3 million units in Japan, but I'm guessing they'll have more in South Korea. The problem with the South Korean market is that as the PSP or DS aren't legally allowed to sell there, the Wonderswan has no serious competition.