Author Topic: Original song compositions  (Read 91086 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Original song compositions
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2009, 01:08:03 PM »
NEW SONG!

So as many of you don't know, and undoubtedly don't care, my birthday was on the 7th! I turned 22. Though I may have celebrated a little, the real celebration starts this Saturday when I throw a party in a high rise flat in the middle of downtown Chicago. This place is so plush that it even has marble statues in the motherfucker.

That's right; your boys a G.

Anyway, I made a new song last night to commemorate the occasion. I'm not going to lie; I made this song for girls to get naked to and feel sexy while doing it. Unlike my other songs that have been posted, this one is without synth (thank god right?).

I haven't had a chance to master it yet. Still, take a listen and let me know what you think. Then play it for your girl and let me know what she thinks.

http://rapidshare.com/files/219355460/Laid_v_HB.mp3.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 01:14:23 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2009, 01:21:21 PM »
happy belated. I'll check the song out from home, as usual. I still owe you some feedback on your last few tracks.

i cant believe you're younger than me (even if by a year). I always figured you were older (though not by much)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2009, 02:06:39 PM »
I've really enjoyed all your recent offerings Kashogi. Sorry if you've already mentioned it but I can't be bothered going through five pages of comments but, what program do you use?

Also my band has got some studio time in a couple of weeks when we're recording a demo. We've been playing a couple of shows around town and writing some new songs so maybe it'll trun out alright. If I'm proud of what we've done I'll throw it up here.

Also with my "solo" stuff (e.g songs that my band wouldn't like if I brought it to them) I've sort of been getting into the noise-pop stuff (e.g. No Age, Times New Viking and Wavves type stuff). Again I'm a bit of a dick when it comes to accepting criticism, especially when it's such a acquired genre like "noise-pop", so I'm probably not going to post anything.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2009, 09:56:48 AM »
I've really enjoyed all your recent offerings Kashogi. Sorry if you've already mentioned it but I can't be bothered going through five pages of comments but, what program do you use?

Also my band has got some studio time in a couple of weeks when we're recording a demo. We've been playing a couple of shows around town and writing some new songs so maybe it'll turn out alright. If I'm proud of what we've done I'll throw it up here.

Also with my "solo" stuff (e.g songs that my band wouldn't like if I brought it to them) I've sort of been getting into the noise-pop stuff (e.g. No Age, Times New Viking and Wavves type stuff). Again I'm a bit of a dick when it comes to accepting criticism, especially when it's such a acquired genre like "noise-pop", so I'm probably not going to post anything.

This "noise-pop" sounds interesting to me, mind PMing me some of your work? I wont even criticize your work unless i feel like calling it shitty "Hardcore" ;)
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2009, 01:39:09 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, Dasmos. As a music connoisseur, I would love to here some of the things you made.

Post them!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2009, 07:26:22 PM »
i liked your last posted song Kashogi, but i think towards the middle it just repeats for too long, it eventually moves on, but if it moved on a little quicker it would be a little tighter. it just seems like 3 identical movements right after the other.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2009, 07:31:09 PM »
Your exactly right, that's why I changed it!

I have a new, much better version. I'll post it when I have the time.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2009, 12:26:52 AM »
Music Theory Class FTW!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2009, 01:54:36 PM »
~~~NEW SONG~~~

I made a song last night before I went to bed. The theme? Hawaii. I've never made this type of song before. It, however, incorporates a lot of techniques I've used in the past. Though I am not finished with it (as always), I know exactly how I want finish it. Imagine this, African tribal chants (similar to the ones in Paul Simon's - On My Way) but with Hawaiian words instead.

I don't know any Hawaiian words so I made some up. When I get a mic I'll search for words the sound similar.

Here's what I hear in my head:

Haluluway (tambourine)
Haluluway (tambourine)
Haluluway (tambourine)
Haluluway (tambourine)
Haluluway (tambourine) ay'
Haluluway (tambourine) ay'

As always, let me know what you think! Can you picture the sunrise on the beach? That's all I'm going for.

http://rapidshare.com/files/223676228/Hawaii2.mp3.html

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2009, 02:07:24 PM »
i still haven't listened to your last two songs...

STOP BEING SO DAMN PRODUCTIVE!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2009, 02:11:39 PM »
hehe

I've made several songs since the last two. I don't share everything I make :). Hell, I just made another today.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2009, 02:12:04 PM »
D'OH

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2009, 11:19:49 AM »
I'd like to add that my new song reminds me of WindWaker. I feel like I just landed on a new island.

Can anyone else picture it?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »
I made it into a youtube video for those of you too lazy to download it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GXvhSU7FQg

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2009, 08:47:50 PM »
I made it into a youtube video for those of you too lazy to download it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GXvhSU7FQg

Where's the FEMALZ???

Other than that, I dug it.  Nice touch w/ the bass.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2009, 01:10:39 PM »
Haha

I appreciate the kind words. It's the first song I've done like this.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2009, 12:52:16 PM »
Well it has been a while since I posted a new song.  It's actually been a while since I wrote a new song period.

My band has entered a contest for a local Vancouver radio station and we get to setup a little site to promote ourselves for that.  So there's my plug. ;)  But the site also has the songs we sent to the station for the contest so it's a good way to let you guys listen to what we've been working on.  http://seeds.cfox.com/Assorted-Guns

Get Out of My Face was written by myself and my brother.  I shared that one years ago but this is a new recording of it.  Today was written by my friend and I don't remember if I shared that or not.  Anymore is a new song I wrote about a month ago.  I would say thus far it's the best song I've ever written.  The best songs I've ever heard have this "feel" to them.  I can't describe it I just know when a song has got it.  I didn't know if I could write a song like that.  With this song I feel like I finally did that.  I fussed over the song a lot more than the usual "hey these three chords sound together" songwriting I usually do.  In this case I refreshed my knowledge in music theory and didn't settle.  I had a melody in my head and made sure that's EXACTLY what the end results sounded like.  Lyrically I rewrote the third verse many times to express exactly what I wanted.  And although it doesn't appear in the recording I used Korg DS-10 to help write it so there's a Nintendo reference. ;)  The song is also very personal.  The lyrics are real and ended up being almost literally about what inspired them.  This is also the first time where something happened that made me think "I should write a song about this" and I went and did it.  I've grown as a songwriter and that's exciting.  I wonder what I'll write in the future.

The quality of our recordings has gone WAY up since the first songs we did.  My brother also does the lead vocals now as he has proven to be a much better singer than me.

Anyway I hope you guys like them. :)

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2009, 01:16:35 PM »
I'll have to check this out later when i'm not at work. I'm very curious to hear what sort of creativity Ian has.

Also want to see if me getting him into Bloc Party has had any influence on him at all ;)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2009, 02:41:18 PM »
"Today" sounds kinda like early Butthole Surfers--the verses remind me of the song"Goofy's Concern".

"Anymore" is kinda boring.  I started listening to the song and got bored after about a minute.  I started doing other things online and a few minutes later I realized I was still listening to the song.  I had completely forgotten it was on--it just blended into the background.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2009, 10:59:05 PM »
***NEW SONGS***

I made this first song in Hawaii for my girl, though at the time I didn't consider her that. It uses alot of the same sounds and techniques as some of my other songs, but I was put on the spot and didn't have time to experiment with anything new. Even so, I don't think I'm going change it much, if at all. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out, considering it only took about 15 minutes to complete.

She loves it, but what do you guys think?

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=39xeE7

This next song I made specifically for Red & Meth. I spent all day on it. I'm going for a mad scientist, dark feel to it. I could really use some help with this one, not necessarily with the melody but with the composition.

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=sOAbz1

This last song I made the morning before my flight. I take inspiration from my surroundings, and this time was no different. On my last day, on an island; conversation played out into a melody. I had to make this song! As a result, this was probably the easiest song I've ever made.

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=1eCz5V
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 11:01:55 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2009, 07:27:29 PM »
***NEW SONGS***

She loves it, but what do you guys think?

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=39xeE7
I found myself bouncing to this one. Once again I'm listening on a laptop, so I don't know if you incorporated any surround sound into that beat. if you had that beat orbiting* my head while in the car, chillin in the room or out at the club, I would just be able to get lost in the beat.

*haha get it, orbiting because the name of the song is Gravity
This next song I made specifically for Red & Meth. I spent all day on it. I'm going for a mad scientist, dark feel to it. I could really use some help with this one, not necessarily with the melody but with the composition.

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=sOAbz1
I can already hear Red & Meth rappin to that beat. I can see Reggie lovin that beat from the moment it started and Meth jumpin in on a session. Its a very mellow, laid-back, puff puff pass session type beat.
The beat itself isn't really my style, but from all the Redman albums and everything I've heard Red&Meth do together, I think you nailed their style near perfectly. I can't pinpoint what I would change, but whatever it was, I'm sure would be relatively minor.

edit 2: After letting this one play a few times, I started to like it more and more. I really think you nailed the sound you were going for.
This last song I made the morning before my flight. I take inspiration from my surroundings, and this time was no different. On my last day, on an island; conversation played out into a melody. I had to make this song! As a result, this was probably the easiest song I've ever made.

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=1eCz5V
I'm guessing since this one stemmed from a conversation, you already have some lyrics prepared to go with this one based on the way it plays out like matching words are being said to it at the same time. This seems like the beat you would use to rap about your trip to hawaii and overcoming inner fear to meet the girl that made the trip all worth it. The beat almost sings the words for you. Made me think this on the fly while listening to it:

potential chorus:
I don't know what to say...
I know what I want to say...
I don't know how to say
Damn these girls drive me cra-zay

So many words in my head
images leading to the bed
some-times its just best
to sit back and watch instead

But I gotta say whats on my mind
In this moment, in this time
everything is moving forward
there's no way to re-wind

And to me it seems like the two that came to you the easiest, came out the best. I like the middle one for what it is, but its not really a beat that captures me like the 1st one or the 3rd one.

edit: I left the 3rd beat playing and decided to see what spilled out, I edited in the rest.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:09:35 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2009, 11:41:54 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you liked them! It's especially reassuring to hear your thoughts on my Red & Meth beat. Let me know if I should change anything; I'd like to send it off on Sunday.

But it's unfortunate that your listening to it on your laptop (with headphones?), but only because I use a lot of bass in each of these songs. It's all good either way though. I appreciate it.

Oh and as for my third song, the conversation that I referred to happened while I was enjoying a scoop of ice cream. So while the conversation did play out into a melody (almost exactly, apart from a little repetition; with her as the highs and myself as the lows), you understand why I wouldn't want it as my lyrics. It's personal.

I like what you wrote though; and if a nigga like Urrsher sang it, it could be real tight.

P.S. The reason I made the first song like I did and eventually named it 'Gravity' was for two reasons; one, our attraction was as natural as gravity, and two, I was falling for her. Well more like plummeting; like how a man would plummet towards earth. I wanted the song to exemplify that emotion. /emo
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 12:06:01 AM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2009, 12:40:24 AM »
I forgot to listen to the songs again when I stopped at my house earlier. I'm at this girls house and I'm on her laptop(no head phones), I don't actually own a laptop. But I let all 3 songs loop for atleast 10-15 minutes in some cases.

About what I wrote, I was thinking of your story in Hawaii and how it took you several times to get up the nerve to ask that girl out.
But I'm sure you already figured that out. I think it came out pretty good, and as you know, a dope beat and a good hook is all you need to blow up on the radio. And I'm glad you liked it.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2009, 09:03:23 PM »
It's a while since I shared a song with you guys.

All this talk about my lovely Lucidious (my part husky/part wolf), made me want to use a wolf howling sample and so I went home after work and made this song.

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=n5NIdN

EDIT: My final cut of it. Enjoy!

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=duyog6
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:17:18 AM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2009, 10:24:31 PM »
********NEW SONG**********

This song is similar to the last one in that it uses some of the same instruments, but other than that, it's my most violent song yet.

It's basically a song about the ghetto version of Jason, except Jason's a hustler and he needs his money.....and he gets his money. The main melody is suppose to be creepy while the chorus is suppose to be the repercussions of having fucked over Jason. The other part where the synth bounces up and down is suppose to simulate the person running away and the bells are there to tell you that it's futile as if the "bells toll for thee".

I don't know what I was thinking but the more time I put into it, the more violent it became. It was alot of fun to make though, especially using all the little samples and having to piece them together to make something you could visualize.

Enjoy and as always, let me know what you think!

EDIT: I forgot to add the link http://www.supload.com/listen?s=Pwp6rU
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 10:26:30 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »