Author Topic: Do Older Games Suck?  (Read 29132 times)

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Do Older Games Suck?
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2004, 12:52:07 PM »
I bought Shaq Fu for like a dollar, because i heard it was so bad

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Do Older Games Suck?
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2004, 12:58:54 PM »
Suit yourself, RCModeler, but out of my game collection of 178 titles there's maybe 4 or 5 that I didn't enjoy on any level at all. You really do enjoy games so much more when you don't have some ranking or comparison system to judge them against other titles. I'm perfectly capable enjoying a game immensely despite the fact there's many better titles simply because I don't feel the need to compare them. While you're off playing just Super Metroid I'm playing Metroid, Metroid II, Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, AND Super Metroid.

I realize some people have limited time and would like to only play the best a particular genre has to offer- I've said this before. I just don't think that means you should dismiss other games as being bad simply because they're not as good.

What I'd also like to stress is that when you ARE playing a game, regardless of the circumstances that lead to you getting ahold of it and giving it a try, I think you'll find that if, while you're playing it, you don't constantly compare it to similar games you will enjoy it MUCH more. If you judge it by itself, alone it's own little world, you're going to like it more. This has nothing to do with limited time because you're already playing the game. Just keep that in mind.  

Either way, have fun with your games, bitch about them last.

Exactly- you should never look for reasons to dislike a game, that's self defeatist.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2004, 09:52:30 PM »
(mouse, the sentence that sparked this debate was that I said I think Metroid 1 sucks. I think it's a bad game, objectively and subjectively and the only reason I can find for someone liking it would be that back then you didn't know games could be better)

IIRC what I said was that I question the quality of most old "classics" (that means titles like Pong, Space Invaders, Metroid, etc) and said that by now most games saw a superior game released. However, even if a superior game is released, people sometimes still say the old game is as good or better because of nostalgia or because by the time the superior game came out even better games came out in other cathegories and made the people at the time think that the newer game sucks (which, maybe, it did) yet they don't say the older, inferior game sucks.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2004, 11:00:35 PM »
I like Mega Man 2.

And Balloon Fight (best 1-on-1 game of its time!).

~~~~~

Iwata-San: "ROR!"
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2004, 12:51:59 AM »
yeah, this thread is pretty dumb. I'm setting it to threeee medium brown.

I recognize that I will eventually die. I estimate I have only 50 years left... 30 of which I will be healthy enough to still play games. I don't want to waste that limited & irreplaceable time playing Metroid when Super Metroid is superior. Or Mary-Kate/Ashley when Grand Theft is better. That is all. Simple really, when you think about it: Time is finite, therefore I must be careful how I spend it. (Many people are the same with money.)

duuuuuuuur, duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrr?? duuuuuuuuuuuurr..
OUT OF DATE.