Author Topic: Atlus Ships River City Ransom EX  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Atlus Ships River City Ransom EX
« on: May 25, 2004, 10:41:56 AM »
There may even be more upcoming games with gangs of students and vicious bosses.

ATLUS U.S.A., INC. HAS SHIPPED RIVER CITY RANSOM EX ON THE NINTENDO GAME BOY ADVANCE

A cult-classic is reborn!

Irvine, CA, May 24, 2004 - Atlus U.S.A., Inc., has shipped the enhanced version of the cult-classic NES game, River City Ransom EX for the Game Boy® Advance to retailers nationwide. River City Ransom was and still is a truly unique experience which blends a significant amount of action, fighting and role playing elements into one game.

Story: Panic strikes River City!

"To the citizens of River City: I hold your high school captive! With my gangs of students and vicious bosses roaming the streets, nobody can stop me now! Meet my demands - or else!"

Slick, the meanest, most powerful gang lord in River City, has issued this ultimatum - and the entire town is powerless in a grip of fear!

Fortunately, Alex and Ryan weren't in school the day Slick took it over. But now, their fellow students are prisoners - including Ryan's girlfriend! It's up to our two young heroes to battle their way past several dangerous city gangs, then defeat the gang lord to free the students of River City High and restore peace to the panic-stricken populace!

"With its unique character building system and customization, River City Ransom EX truly is the 'RPG of side-scrolling fighting games,'" said Akibo Shieh, Project Lead, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. "We are bringing to life a videogame classic to the Game Boy Advance and we look forward to developing other titles based on this awesome franchise."

Features:

·         Lively dialogue colors each character.  Listen carefully for clues, or smack a punk around if he talks too much.

·         Be a mallrat and stock up on food and items.  Discover dollars on downed deadbeats.

·         The game keeps track of exactly how you play.  Load up previous data to fight against yourself (or your friends!).

·         Completely customize your game—difficulty, speed, name, look, game balance, and strategy are all yours to control.

·         Build up your reputation and form a posse.  If you’re bad enough, reformed bosses may even join your crew.

·         Discover new characters and techniques every time you play.  The journey will adapt to your unique style of gaming!

River City Ransom EX has been rated “T” for Teen by the ESRB. For more information, visit the official River City Ransom Ex web site at www.atlus.com/rcr

© 2003 ATLUS  Â© MILLION

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Atlus Ships River City Ransom EX
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 11:57:06 AM »
You know despite being a big fan of 2D beat-em-ups I have never played River City Ransom.  Maybe I'll never play it just for spite.

One thing does seriously prevent me from buying it though.  The GBA has a lot of good beat-em-ups.  Double Dragon Advance, Final Fight One, this, and the upcoming Guardian Heroes game.  But it has one problem: I need TWO copies of the game to play multiplayer and multiplayer is like the whole point of beat-em-ups.  If they could find a way to make these games detect the GB Player and play with two controllers I would snatch them all up.

I want to see more of these games on consoles.  Capcom should do an arcade treasures deal but with all of their arcade beat-em-ups.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Atlus Ships River City Ransom EX
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 01:07:33 PM »
River City Ransom was one of the better one player beat 'em ups in that you could gain experience points and whatnot.  I didn't even realize it was coming out!  I'd like to buy it, but with Mario Vs. DK and Sabrewulf already on my list I might have to put it off...
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline mjbd

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 05:49:29 PM »
This was one of my favorite games on NES, so I will be buying it very soon.  I hear ya on the two player on the GBP, it wouldnt be that hard to add in, and would be great for games like this.
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 04:00:19 PM »
I'll probably get this game or Double Dragon Advance, they're both remade by the same people in fact hehe.  Good choices.  Heres something interesting, my friend bought a NES around 1998 (a top loading one) (his parents were against games).  Anyways he picked up like 15 AAA games and out of them all his favorite one was River Rity Ransom.