Author Topic: Gamecube+Squareenix+E3  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Gamecube+Squareenix+E3
« on: May 13, 2004, 11:16:08 AM »
Has anyone heard any news there showing at e3.  Last I remember they were supposed to have another gamecube game in the works.  This shouldve been the best time to drop some news.   Only thing Ive heard is that they have a nintendo ds game supposedly on display but I havent seen or ready anything on that either.

Offline jmoe316

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Gamecube+Squareenix+E3
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 05:12:19 PM »
Yeah I was hoping that they would show a GCN title too. Little dissapointing but maybe we will here something in the coming months.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
RE: Gamecube+Squareenix+E3
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 05:27:09 PM »
all that I saw was a list of their games , I think all for gba which were the kingdom hearts, dragon warrior monster and ff:crystal cronicles.  I heard they have one game in developement for the ds and one for gamecube.  Aint sure what it is though.  I remember reading that they were goin to have the ds game on display and I think the gba games were on display if they were on the list but I havent been able to find any pics on any of the games besides the old ones that have been released for kingdom hearts.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 05:38:58 PM »
I'm glad that they didn't show their title...Hey, I want stuff for NEXT E3...

(Oh, and their title Egg Monster Heroes (DS) was shown on the show floor...They also have a Crystal Chronicles and Dragon Quest Monsters in the works for the DS)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 07:22:00 AM »
Square Enix may only have just started development on its second GameCube game, and Nintendo probably wants something either to fill in the gaps in 2005 (GameCube's last big year), or to help launch Revolution.  Either way, it was probably just too early to show it.  I imagine we'll see something next E3.
I am pretty confident that they're working on another console game for Nintendo though, Crystal Chronicles seemed to do well and I'm sure Nintendo is trying build a relationship between the two companies.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 03:12:21 PM »
I think that there might be a spaceworld this year. Tpp many games are un-revealed like Konamis games and Squares.

Also the new GCN perihipal and Mario 128 is still un-revealed.
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 09:11:34 PM »
true, I hope they have another spaceworld.  Also, I remember readin about some of nintendo's first party studios puttin in time on creatin some new fresh franchises (and thus the reasoning behind handin some projects over to other companies ie. zelda on gba to capcom, advance wars to kuju and so on) So far none of those games were shown at e3 so I wonder what else nintendo still has under its sleeves.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 08:55:15 PM »
Well it wouldnt have hurt for some confirmation by Square at least.. Im slightly disapointed. The Cube has had its small share of RPGs, they look large compared to the N64, but its minimal compared to the SNES...  Id love to know whats Camelot up to after Mario Tennis, whats Brownie Brown up to as well?

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2004, 09:35:15 PM »
word, I forgot all about brownie brown and camelot for a min lol.  

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 09:40:50 PM »
If there is a spaceworld *fingers crossed* i hope Square-enix does show something off for GCN. A FF:CC sequel perhaps.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2004, 10:00:43 PM »
nah, a ff:cc sequal I aint too fond of.  FF:CC was a good game but it couldve been so much more so hopefully if they do make a sequal they add ALOT to it.  I still prefer a traditional rpg or a true secret of mana game in the scope and scale of the last 3 zelda games.  

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 03:01:50 PM »
Everybody knows id rather see a new Chrono Trigger There was a rumored sequel called Chrono Break, never knew what happened to it

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2004, 03:46:51 PM »
Bill. I can't believe you're worried about not having stuff for the next E3.

Dude. You're going to have plenty of stuff. Like say....3 NEW CONSOLES!!!! And maybe even the next Game Boy (depending on the impact of PSP). And by the next E3 the PSP and DS would have been just released and in heated battle. All the real games for these two will come out next year. AND, at E3 next year Zelda will be in its final stages and hopefully rock the house. Although personally, I think that Zelda should be switched over to a launch title for the new system, and totally overhauled to take advantage of all the new features that Nintendo said will be included in the system. And the new system should be so powerful that they should be able to make it cel-shaded....but not toon-shaded. I'm talking about cel-shaded graphics the quality of Ocarina of Time artwork. Take OoT artwork, make it even more detailed, put it in motion (we already know the superb animation you can get from cel-shading...and WW was only first gen cel shading!), and add special effects, and you'd have the beautiful game ever created.

Personally, I think releasing Zelda on GCN in 2005 is dumb. That's like a year before the new consoles. Remember what happened to Perfect Dark and Majora's mask? They both did great....Perfect Dark about a million and Majora's mask a little more...But that's nothing compared to Goldeneye and Ocarina...Goldeneye sold like 5 million in the US alone, and Ocarina sold over 7 million in the US alone. Add in European numbers to Goldeneye and Europe and Japanese numbers to Ocarina....
If Perfect Dark and Majora were launch titles for GCN....Xbox would have been history from the start. Perfect Dark was better than Halo as it is (don't get me wrong I still love Halo) but with GCN graphics and frame rate it would have annihilated Xbox combined with Majora's Mask....and Conker, which I've just remembered about. Okay, so these games were released in 2000 (Conker may have been 2001, don't remember), but i'd rather have them delayed and overhauled for a year and slapped onto GCN.

Remember the final years of N64? Everyone was looking forward to the last big 5 games before the next gen: Star Fox Adventures, Eternal Darkness, Perfect Dark, Majora's Mask, and Conker. Two of those games were transfered to GCN. Both were supposed to be GCN launchers. Unfortunately both were tragedies. Both ended up being delayed to 2002. One was great but sold like crap. One was not that great (gameplay anyway) but sold great.
If Nintendo and its second parties had gotten their act together, worked hard, and released all 5 of those games on GCN launch, combined with the other launch games and Smash Bros., they would have knocked Xbox off the map by summer 2002. All the Xbox had was Halo. All 5 of the above games, and Smash Bros. are all better than Halo. I think the way GCN launched and the way N64 ended was the biggest mistake Nintendo made. the GCN launch was actually great....compared to the other launches. But it should have been better. The PSX gamers all bought PS2 in 2000. But all the N64 games split up...half to Xbox and half to GCN. I'm sure many of you disagree since you only know about the hardcore few...but I have TONS of friends and people I know who were huge N64 fans but bought Xboxes. The thing is....N64 was THE console for FPS's. The GCN is the opposite. Xbox stole the spot because they had Halo when Nintendo didn't have anything of their own. And Nintendo lost Perfect Dark too.

Wow...I totally started rambling. Uh...sorry.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2004, 08:39:40 PM »
"Although personally, I think that Zelda should be switched over to a launch title for the new system, and totally overhauled to take advantage of all the new features that Nintendo said will be included in the system."

I completely disagree.  The Cube NEEDS a major title released late in it's life so as to have a good buzz going out and to build anticpation for Nintendo's next console.  Without it the Cube will end with a thud and the N5 will be launched from a position of weakness and it will be the Cube launch all over again.  Besides if the N5 is backwards compatible a strong Cube title released late in it's life could be a huge seller on the N5.

As for redoing it cel-shaded if they're going to do THAT much work they might as well release the game on the Cube and make a new cel-shaded game on the N5.  However I think it would be foolish to release another cel-shaded Zelda so soon.  Cel-shading is NOT popular with the mainstream and releasing such a title would be risky.  As a system seller Wind Waker was a flop because it's graphics style was too non-traditional for the mainstream to accept.  The N5 needs a system seller that appeals both to mainstream gamers and Nintendo fans.  Experimental titles like another cel-shaded Zelda should only be released after Nintendo has a more secure foothold in the console market and don't have as much pressure to sell systems with every major game.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 08:04:47 PM »
Since we haven't a clue what the N5 will be like and how exactly it is revolutionary who is to say Zelda is a good launch title for it? Ideally your 1st party launch titles take advantage of the new features.

Fortunately from the E3 conference we don't have to guess what they're strategy will be. They want to make a run for the late adopters of this console generation, and that means they need some big late-life console titles.