Author Topic: Name...  (Read 3837 times)

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Name...
« on: March 10, 2004, 09:12:06 AM »
I think a shooting game would work great on the Nitro/DS/whatever.  One screen: FPS.  Another? TPS.  What do you think, and do you have any other ideas?
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: How would a shooter work?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 09:33:25 AM »
i'd like to see a light-gun for the ds.    a tiny light gun, at that.

seriously though, if you just wanted something generic, you could have a radar/map on the second screen.  if you're looking for an innovative answer, you're asking the wrong people.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 09:58:15 AM »
I'm always thrown off when people say "shooter" because to me a shooter is a game like Ikaruga or Gradius.  First person shooters I guess are technically shooters but the differences are like night and day.

Anyway the most creative two screen idea I can think of is that your character has eyes on the back of his head and thus can see both in front and behind at the same time thus making it harder for people to sneak up on him.  It's not a GOOD idea but it's different.

There's also the really simple idea of having the gameplay revolve around placing cameras strategically so you can monitor areas for enemy activity while moving around independantly.

One idea that would be really cool is a survivor horror game where you get two views: your eye view and the eye view of the creature stalking you.  The creature is invisible so the only way to tell where he is is by looking at what he sees.  So if you see yourself in his vision get the f*ck out of there.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
RE:How would a shooter work?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 11:28:05 AM »

There's also the really simple idea of having the gameplay revolve around placing cameras strategically so you can monitor areas for enemy activity while moving around independantly.
building on ian sane's idea, how about instead of your cameras to monitor enemy activity, it shows the enemy's cameras and you have to make sure you avoid being detected.  i can envision a metal gear solid where you can hack into the enemy's security system to help infiltrate their base.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 12:43:55 PM »
Since you can't expect everybody to think up a really good idea for the DS they'll probably just make a game that can work on existing systems and the second screen will just be something so you don't have to change the action screen.  I'm also guessing that most games that do have some eh good idea for the two screens won't be that amazing but something simple as using the two screens when you hook up a GBA and GCN.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 12:54:45 PM »
Working off the FPS idea... maybe one screen shows your view, while the other shows the view of your partner, 3rd person would be best to tell the difference. Kind of a Resident Evil 0-ish idea I suppose. Could add some great elements though, like you can tell when your partner needs back up and you need to haul your ass to where he is to help.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 06:19:29 AM »
I'd like a version of X on the DS. X2 knows how to use dual monitors and the inclusion of polygonal graphics should be enough to allow for space sims...

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 09:46:25 AM »
Hmmm...all this has got me thinking (for a change).  What if...an incarnation of Metroid Prime were to appear on the DS?  I mean, if the specs are accurate, and we can get a backlight in, I don't know why a less-detailed version of MP couldn't appear on a handheld?  The  

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 10:34:54 AM »
i'm really against the idea of porting over games that are readily available on current generation platforms.  i.e. it would be one thing for a port of mario 64 to show up, it would a completely different thing if they ported over mario sunshine.

Offline Fluke Worm

• the sYmbiotic parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 04:40:07 PM »

i'd like to see a light-gun for the ds

I was thinking along the same lines (light gun for a handheld) even if your being sarcastic. It would look like a laser pointer with a cord (of course), it would be very sensitive and have a sensor so you couldn't hold it too close to the screen. The LG would have only one button/trigger for ease of use, the second screen would be for everything else: weapons; reload; alternative actions (eg. duck, dodge) you know, point and click{shoot}. I do think it would be fun even if part of the appeal would be the novelty of it.
And yes, I do just want an other light gun from N in any way shape or form
FLUKE_;_;_;_\i/_;_
|%%%~w~o~r~m~

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 03:16:37 AM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu
i'm really against the idea of porting over games that are readily available on current generation platforms.  i.e. it would be one thing for a port of mario 64 to show up, it would a completely different thing if they ported over mario sunshine.

I didn't mean PORT Metroid Prime.  I guess I kinda meant, a new, handheld-version of Metroid Prime.  Like Mario has his console and handheld games, yet they're totally different?  Metroid could be like that to; except...not totally different.  We're all looking forward to MP2...what about another?  MP3 (ha ha), or MP4 (ha ha)?  I'm just saying, who says GameCube has booked the rest of the series; the DS has some serious FPS potential.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2004, 05:04:13 AM »
Hm, you could have the main view in one screen and a thermal vision or something in the other... Or, more evil, one screen shows the level, the other one the enemies...

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2004, 09:39:11 AM »
since they're spending the money on two screens; why not use each one for an eye and create a 3d vr image.

because they like to waste money by making that imposible while still footing the bill for the hardware.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2004, 11:24:32 AM »
nemo_83, you're really starting to piss me off.  do you even think things through before you post?  you're walking a very thin line with many people on this board.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2004, 03:11:39 AM »
Nemo: I don't know what happened to your face, but I'm unable to look with both eyes at different screens. Those 3d LCDs work with a single screen, not two.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2004, 08:51:54 PM »
I was being funny in that post.  I don't know why people take every remark I make as some schemed attack on Nintendo fans.

For you to see in 3d you must have two views.  One view for each eye.  You can do this with a single screen and accesory glasses that seperate the single projected image into two views.  Without the glasses the screen would look out of focus or in double vision.  With the prospect of using two lcds one could have the screens placed at a certain distance from the eyes and supplying each eye with its own view of the game.  Your brain puts the two images together in just the same way as if you saw a real object in the real world with two slightly different vantage points that translate into depth perception.  Depth perception is what makes 3d games difficult.  With true illusionistic 3d technologies the gamers can judge distances better and simply get into the games more.  Imagine wasps flying into your eyes on Metroid.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2004, 12:41:22 AM »
I will be honest with. The problem is not that your a threat to Nintendo or is threating Nintendo on a Nintendo forum. The real problem is that your a dumbass. And that was a dumbass joke. Even though you haven't broken any of the forum rules, your not doing anybody any good around here at the moment. While I will not advocate that you move to another forum, I will just simply just ask you to stop and think before typing. Read through the entire thread. Attemp to understand where it is going.

While 3D would be nice and all, you do realise there are health issuses with current technology that makes current commerially avaliable 3D displays unsuable?

With current Tech you would end up with another Virtual Boy. Eye strain, loss of balance and corrodation, perament vision problems with long term exposure. Nintendo is already being sued over having warning about seizures play normal games. The negative impact of the health problems created by a widely avaliable gaming system would make hot coffee at Macdonalds look like cold coffee spilt on the floor for both Nintendo and the general public at large. So it was a hidden blessing that Virtual Boy did fail. With today's truly American atmosphere of happy people willing to sue anything with a warning label I hazzard a guess that Nintendo would have folded in 6 months of releasing the DS with VR 3D as one of it's expressed purpose not from losing lawsuits, but simply by the immense bulk of it all.

That is why mass 3D tech isn't "Everywhere" yet. Technology is not ready. Not ready in price, health or particablity.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2004, 05:55:54 AM »
(I couldn't judge distances better with 3d displays, I'm kind of "depth blind")

Well, if you have two different screens, you'd have to get the eyes to look at one specific screen each, right? How would you do that? Like with those 3d-image books? "guranteed headache within ten seconds"?
The whole point of Sharp's technology is that you DON'T need glasses to see the picture in 3d.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2004, 10:08:35 AM »
You're right, the eye strain is an issue that has to be dealt with.  I'm hoping that the newly advanced LCDs on the market can take away some of the headaches that came with VB.  

It is rather simple in getting a person to see the two screens as one image.  Each view is only slightly different from the other.  When looking at each by themselves you would barely be able to tell the two views apart.  The catch is that when playing, each eye would only see one screen.  The brain takes the two images and puts them together just as if you were really seeing two perspectives with your two seperate eyes.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2004, 06:34:17 PM »
Yes, but how do you make your eyes point at two different displays at the same time?

Kodak developed zero-strain stuff, but I don't see gsames using tha anytime soon. It requires a large field of vision, current rendering methods have nasty deformation at high FOVs.

Sharp delivers ONE screen that gives TWO images when seen at the right angle and distance, two screens are used only for headpieces and those aren't really portable (well, yes, but pretty unusable on the move).

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2004, 05:43:09 AM »
Maybe the future solution will be glasses that project lasers before the eye that don't create strain or require large hardware.  The lasers could potentially be used at that small scale to create holograms that seem as large as an IMAX theater screen.  

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2004, 09:21:00 PM »
HAHAHA! ... eh..
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Is that a real quote? Was he drunk? Are you drunk? Am I drunk?
HAHAHA!

sounds like everyone wants to "86" or "deep-six" nemo_83.. well, whatever.. as long as you don't deep_blank or 6_blank him.. this is a gamecube forum, afterall; there are children present.

sh1t, where are all the shooter ideas?
...how bout this? if your ship is damaged/weak (or if you suck and always play it safe), you can stay in the bottom screen--the touch screen. Then, when enemy ships fly into this zone (call it a kill box or no-fly zone or whatever. fvck, shooters don't need stories) you can reach over with your thumb and press the screen right where the enemy ship is and kill it instantly (or flatten like a bug or something)... like whack-a-mole, but with shooting... shooting crack up a... heh..

PS I'm not drunk.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2004, 08:11:25 AM »
I adapt to things pretty well, like controllers and stuff (I don't know how and why people keep complaining about certain ones), but shooters (as in FPSes) and other 3D games like 3D platformers on handhelds might take a little longer for me to get used too.  I haven't played the GBA FPSes currently out there.

See, when I hold a handheld, I'm mostly looking down at it.  In an FPS or 3D game when you move forward, it'd be like moving downward...every time you move it looks like you're falling.  This is not an issue on a vertical screen like a TV screen or monitor, but I'm not going to be holding the handheld straight in front of me to get the proper perspective.  If handheld screens weren't so small, the surroundings wouldn't cause this relative downwardness.

But I haven't seen anyone else ever mention this as a problem, and I'd probably adapt eventually anyway, so maybe it's not a concern.

Seeing as how there are FPSes and other variations of shooters on the GBA already, a shooter on a DS could work, assuming the same, similar, or not too radical difference in control scheme.