Author Topic: I found the underground lair of all things NIN  (Read 2158 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I found the underground lair of all things NIN
« on: February 06, 2004, 11:46:26 AM »
  I recently moved from New Jersey to Florida to attend film school.  The first week i'm here, theres a poster hanging on the wall that says get N or get out.  Seeing this, i write down the number, strictly out of curiosity because my geekdom tells me its Nintendo related.  I call the number, and The answering machine plays the Zelda theme..nice.  I leave a brief message.  I get a call yesterday from some guy who has started a Nintendo club of sorts.  I showed last night, and low and behold, theres MKD in LAN mode right before my eyes.  These guys made their apartment a full Nintendo shrine.  But before i get my grubby mits on the big screen Timesplitters 2 deathmatch tournement, i must answer 5 questions about Nintendo.  Question 1 had to do with Karnov, and i got it right.  Question 2 : Can you name 3 laser gun games for the NES?  Wild gunman, Duckhunt and Operation Wolf or gumshoe{cant remember my answer}.  Question 3:  What did the ending of 1942 say?  Congratulation! {tis true, no s on the end, why i remember i have no idea}  Question 4:  How do you get to the minus world in Super mario bros?  Get your head stuck in the block which enables you to run through the wall.  {easy for me!}  Last but not least:  What game was made to capatilize on Space harriers success, by looking and playing like it?  3-D worldrunner!  With that, i'm given a card to fill out with my vitals, and i get an official magnetic strip card right off this dudes PC.  I can come and go as i please between certain hours.  They have every Nintendo system, 15 TVs and everybody chips in for..ummm..adult beverages.  Last night, there were over 35 people at one time in this massive apartment.  All ages as well.  From 16 to 40.  I played Pro Wrestling for about 3 hours.  Ice hockey for an hour or so, and then some Goldeneye deathmatch.  All the 4 player games go on one of 2 64in Wide screen tvs.  And the best part of all is, if you dont know Nintendo, you cant get in.  They have a list of over 1,000 questions.  They're called the O.G.s{original gamers}.  You guys would love it.  Anywho, theres my story.  Kind of geeky, but i dont care, i am a film student after all.  We're all 'geeks' here.  But anyway, theres a poll going through our school intranet asking what system is the best.  Theres over 1500 Nintendo votes, 700 and something PS2 votes and 350 Xbox votes{GBA was not included}/.  So i've found paradise.  Hopefully, you'll find yours.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: I found the underground lair of all things NIN
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 01:21:33 PM »
that question thing sounds pretty bad...otehrwise the whole club sounds cool...if its old school i prolly woulednt be able to answer alot of questions..i mostly had crappy games no one else had. However if its about like the hierachy of the company nintendo and like the people who work there....ill be plenty able.  Also, i missed super nintendo...my brother bought a genisis and our mom wouldnt get us a super nintendo...so i got jippified.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 01:36:25 PM »
I would have failed those questions for sure since I never owned an NES.  I think it's unfair to ask questions about a game like 1942 since it isn't even a game made by Nintendo.  If they expanded the questions to cover the entire history of Nintendo then I probably would do much better.  Plus it's not like the questions really have to be that hard.  You could ask a no-brainer question like "who is the main bad guy in the Zelda series?" and most people beyond videogame nuts would probably not know.

The whole club sounds kind of cool.  And if I think it's cool that of course means it's pretty dorky.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
RE:I found the underground lair of all things NIN
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 01:43:04 PM »
They go by age.  I'm of the old school, so i received questions from that period.  Say, if youre 20 or younger, you'd probably get N64 or SNES questions, or general character questions.  But when you come in, they ask your age, and what Nintendo you started your gaming career with.  I said NES.  Also, as geeky as it sounds, i have to say these people, myself included are now the majority.  In fact, if anyone were ever asked if am indeed a geek, they'd probably say no.  I'm just very well rounded with expertise in movies, games and music.  I'm kind of the anti-norm, anti-geek.  That comes from not giving a F
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 03:03:57 PM »
I would have failed all 5 Qs you were asked.  Even the Q on how you get to the minus world in Super mario bros.  I remember doing that doing my glory days (when I was young ), but I don't remember now.  I started with the NES like you too, but I had only 4 games.  No way I would have been able to answer all 5 Qs, no matter what they were.

I'm curious, how do they afford an apartment with 15 TVs?  You didn't state there was a membership fee.

But, anyway, that Nintendo club is really cool.  I'm jealous of you!

Offline DarkSyphor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 03:14:59 PM »
How about if you like just say 12 to 15 what answers did they have, becase i grew up with all the systems including Gameboys. (good ol brothes)

ive now taken my suger straws away and im now eatting fruits
I hate long paragraphs, because when i begin reading i fall asleep.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 01:36:40 AM »
That sounds absolutely fantastic. I hope when I get apst this final year of school 'The Guild' at UWA (this is presuming I make it to the university of Western Australia) have some kind of thing for Nintendo losers like myself. I just want to be able to play four swords  and have some proper Smash Bros competition.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 03:05:58 AM »
To answer a few questions, the questions arent as hard as the ones i had to answer.  For instance, yesterday they asked someone to hum the Super Mario Bros tune, start to finish.  Another question was about the ending of OoT.  So they vary.  Secondly, they have 15 TVs, and apparently one guy used to make good money with computer animation, but hes come back to school to update his skills with some new technology.  So the big screens are his, i believe.  Then theres about 10 TVs that vary between 32 in , along with 27 in flat screens.  They belong to the other 2 guys.  I think.  So the money is spread pretty evenly, and since they're all my age, ield, they've all had pretty well paying jobs.   And thirdly, Super smash bros, almost incites a riot everytime there are 4 people going at it(all the time).  Its hilarious to watch.  I say watch because there is almost always people hogging it.  I had a fun time playing team deathmatch in Perfect Dark yesterday, so i dont mind all that much.  Oh well, if anyone has anymore questions, or wants to know more, i'll respond to what i am able to.

Offline Metaphysical Spirit

• The Aggressive Coconut!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 10:04:44 AM »
Hey The Omen.. So you go to Full Sail to, eh? I've loved Nintendo for years and years, so that sounds really interesting. I can't say that I have updated my Nintendo Knowledge recently though, so those questions sound like they could get hard.  I know more about the company itself (Like how it started out as a Card Gaming Company) then the games itself. Though, I would have to say that is awesome that this club does this. Hah, I can imagine Super Smash Brothers can get intense, around my apartment and back at home in Ohio, it was always an awesome time. You know, Words get said, People get smashed, and all that good stuff... lol. My stupid MadKatz Memory Card erased all my saved files though, , and now I have to start all over on my SSBM.  
I'm aggresive, and I'm the rarest of the rare! Fear me Now! For I am....

THE AGGRESSIVE COCONUT!!!!!!!

Offline DarkSyphor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 09:46:40 PM »
Is there free net there
i mean that you can go on the net and vs 8 people on mariokart
if they have it.
if they dont.
TELL ME WHERE IT IS, Ill even fly there
I hate long paragraphs, because when i begin reading i fall asleep.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 02:27:10 PM »
place sounds badass ... im almost 20 and have since the n64 generation devoted my life to ninty......before that i was a pretty casual gamer..an average kid.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post