Author Topic: Broken Cube  (Read 2485 times)

Offline DDragon666

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Broken Cube
« on: December 12, 2003, 05:03:18 AM »
Recently my GCN's open button got stuck down, not by juice or anything, I think its dirt in there, well anyways I contacted Nintendo about it and they told me that they don't repair your GCN for you, they do a thing they like to call "Power Trade."  Thats where they trade my GCN for a refurbished one.  Now I'm not so fond about giving up my cube for someone elses fixed one, expesually when all thats wronge with it is a stuck button.  But get this, it would cost me $70 bucks to do that so called "Power Trade" !!!  I can just go and buy a refurbished one from EB Games and keep my old one if I wanted to do that!  Or for only $30 more I could get a brand new one with the Zelda disk.  But I realy don't want to do any of that.  So could anyone tell me a good place to send my cube that is trustworthy and just might get it fixed before Xmas rolls around. Thanks

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Broken Cube
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 10:41:15 AM »
Have you tried hitting it with a hammer?

If you're intent on keeping your current cube, I would ask around some game shops like Gamestop and Software Etc., and ask the clerks if they know how or know anybody who would know how to fix that problem. You never know, it might work!

If not, I'd go for one of the Zelda bundles, or if you plan on getting the games you can use to register for it anyways, get a nice platinum cube. Oh yeah, very nice...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: Broken Cube
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 10:55:35 AM »
it's called duct tape.  just tape the lid down so the cube can read the disc properly.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Zero_Plague

• Only Linkin Park understands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 12:57:29 PM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu
it's called duct tape.  just tape the lid down so the cube can read the disc properly.

As stupid as it seems, that would probablly work.

Or you could just put something heavy onto it just to hold it down.
Its not too much of a problem.

Just one thing If your going to duck tape it:
-Try not to cover the fan with the ducktape.

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 01:46:47 PM »
I would take it apart myself, and see if there was anything I could do.  Otherwise, any computer reapair shop should be able to repair it.  Good luck!
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline DDragon666

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 03:13:33 PM »
Well, my original intent was to take it apart myself because its such a simple prob , I just don't know where to get ahold of one of those mini star-shaped sockets for the bottem. Do you know where to get one?

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2003, 04:46:34 PM »
I usually just have to wiggle mine a little and it comes up.  But I'd put something heavy on it or get it repaired because that is least damaging.

Offline MysticalMatt517

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2003, 09:35:47 AM »

Originally posted by: DDragon666
Well, my original intent was to take it apart myself because its such a simple prob , I just don't know where to get ahold of one of those mini star-shaped sockets for the bottem. Do you know where to get one?

I believe you're referring to a Torx bit. I could be wrong (I haven't looked at the bottom of my cube) but if that's the case Radio Shack or any computer supply store will have what you're looking for.  
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
http://www.MysticalMatthew.com
<><><><><><><><><><><><>

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2003, 09:40:24 AM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu

http://www.planetgamecube.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=9&threadid=6071

Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2003, 10:06:12 AM »
Well , Unless you know what youre doing , dont play with the inside of your gamecube. Unfortunently yesterday I was trying to take the glass lid off the top of my cube , and I accidently snapped a piece of my cube. Sad....but true.

If you knw someone who can mod gamecubes , go to him, they fix stuff for a certain price.
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2003, 10:18:10 AM »
It's a "gamebit" i think. Different than the starbit you can buy at the store. My button started sticking lately too, but it's always popped up again. I ain't tried, but there's a way to get the screws out by melting a Bic pen:

http://www.gamecubeland.com/index.php?page=editorials&editorial_id=5

Basically you get the pen hot and shove it over the screw. Then you have to heat it up again to get it off. Sounds dangerous, but apparently people do it. There's probably other methods out there too, if you search around the net a bit. Nintendo's been using gamebits for all there consoles forever, so you can actually find drivers for 'em sometimes at gameshops and stuff if you relaly want to do it.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2003, 03:25:29 PM »
Ok the same exact thing happened to my cube, There are 2 things I know of that you can do.
    1.  You can put a couple of game cases or something else that is heavy on it.
    2.  You need a nail file or something small and skinny for this one, if you open your cube (its already open isnt it?) on the inside of your cube there should be a little slot right by the "open" button.  Inside of this slot is a little plastic thing (here by known as the thingy) you put the nail file inside of the slot and see if you can pry the thingy out.  Once the thingy is out the open button should come out to.  I dont think there is any major damage you can do to it using this method, but be careful anyway.  
This method worked for me, the open button still gets stuck, but usually a little giggling can get it out.

Hope that helps, good luck.  
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline cielo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2003, 11:56:27 PM »
you can get the bit off eBay or directly through a site maintained by an eBay seller.  i am in no way affiliated-i just ordered mine today.  btw, if you are also getting a tri-screwdriver (gba, gc controller), it would be cheaper buying directly through electricquarter's site...

eBay search results

electricquarter's site