Author Topic: Playstation userbase only 20 million!?  (Read 4861 times)

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Playstation userbase only 20 million!?
« on: August 19, 2003, 09:07:14 PM »
it's been a while since I've posted and this might be old news but I just
read an excerpt directly from Sony's mouth (executive vice president, Sony Computer Entertainment America) that they just passed
the 20 million unit sales milestone just THIS SUMMER!

screw the reports of Sony's former claims of having over 40 million! looks like that's just whats been shipped off the factories!

check out the link here! PS2 only 20 million userbase

looks like GC and XBOX aren't that far off all along!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Playstation 2 userbase only 20 million!?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 10:25:06 PM »
I think it's 20M US only, the quote was made by Sony America. Though it'd be funny if that were overall sales... Although considering failure rates on the device, maybe that's 20M working...

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
RE:Playstation 2 userbase only 20 million!?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 10:46:18 PM »
arggg that is probably the case
i just got too excited when i read it

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2003, 03:25:23 PM »
Because you end up buying 2.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2003, 03:41:58 PM »
I wouldn't doubt that the PS2 userbase is about 2/3 of what was sold.  I know very few people who have had a PS2 since launch, and still have the same one.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2003, 04:01:43 PM »
yea im sure there are alot of people who bought it twice.
i got mine 4 months after the launch in the U.S. and it stopped playing cd based games about a year later.  if it also stops playing dvd based games, i'll end up buying my 2nd one.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2003, 04:12:19 PM »
I thought it was something like 50 million worldwide, like you said, 20 million US would make sense.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 04:12:26 AM »
50M shipped. But as the PS2 seems to be more popular than other consoles, expect the retailers to keep more of them in stock.
With those multi function devices it's hard to predict how many of the hardware owners are playing with it. Quite a few XBoxes get abused as DVD/DivX players or even server clusters. I'd not be surprised if many PS2s are used in the same manner. Or lie around in some landfill...

So, in the numbers of potential software buyers, GC leaves the XB far behind.

BTW, HD crashes are a reason I prefer memory cards. I have 5 or 6 HDs here that all died from badblocking/headcrash. Does the XB come with disk maintenance tools?

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2003, 07:04:12 PM »
thats a very good question, i bet some xbox owner here knows...

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 12:02:57 PM »
no, not with mine anyway.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2003, 12:42:25 PM »
wow that sounds like a glaring oversight by Microsoft....
a harddrive without disk utilities
especially since they already have such software inplace with their windows programs...

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2003, 01:18:56 PM »
wow that sounds like a glaring oversight by Microsoft....
a harddrive without disk utilities
especially since they already have such software inplace with their windows programs...

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2003, 06:01:33 AM »
If there is problem with the hard drive, you need to format it, and if that doesn't work need to send it to microsoft. Never had a problem with my hard drive though.  

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2003, 03:32:56 PM »
so if there's a problem you need to format it like formatting your PC harddrive and losing all the data on it?
and if that doesn't work send it to Microsoft?

I have a feeling the future consoles with harddrives will have disk utilities for them...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2003, 03:39:53 PM »
I'm fairly certain the XBox's hard drive doesn't operate like a normal one and is mainly similar in name alone. I doubt any XBox owner would ever need disk utilities.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2003, 04:06:50 PM »
try telling that to owners who have to reformat it and/or have to send it to Microsoft though

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2003, 05:08:29 PM »
Why so worked up about this? Or just looking for material for the future?  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2003, 10:03:28 AM »
Well, HDs are HDs, no matter how they are formatted. The fact that you can replace it with a larger one suggests the thing uses standard PC HDs, though probably with a custom file system.
Considering the XB's HD is used mostly for custom (i.e. user created) files like savegames, having to reformat it means losing your files. I imagine one cannot back 'em up because there'd be no need for save-to-disk exploits then. Also, reformatting sounds like a bit overkill to repair things like a corrupted FS or bad blocks. Well, another reason to install Linux, I guess...

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2003, 01:15:38 PM »
Well you could always use a memory card for game saves. I guess you would be lost when it comes to custom soundtracks though.  

Offline The Doc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2003, 10:13:49 AM »
 Someone here should conduct a tortore test with all three console: GameCube, PS2 and Xbox and see which console can take the most abuse and keep on ticking. And in the end, I am sure GameCube would come out on top.

Sony's numbers being as high as they are more then likely due to almost everyone having to buy two PS2 consoles due to the fact that Sony makes cheap hardware, and if that continues then the PSP will likely posses cheap hardware as well.  

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2003, 10:18:32 AM »

almost everyone having to buy two PS2 consoles due to the fact that Sony makes cheap hardware

gimme a break, the failure rate on the hardware isnt even 20%, so lose the ALMOST EVEYONE crap.

As for the torture test I would be willing to be all 3 come out close to even. I have had all 3 systems since launch (give or take a month) and all 3 still work fine with almost equal amounts of play.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2003, 11:50:49 AM »
Actually, if you ask any electronics store they'll tell you the PS2 has a much higher precentage of defective machines- the Gamecube and XBox are about even and very low. I have a friend who's on his third PS2 because the other two broke.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline JSasky

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2003, 07:13:30 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Actually, if you ask any electronics store they'll tell you the PS2 has a much higher precentage of defective machines- the Gamecube and XBox are about even and very low. I have a friend who's on his third PS2 because the other two broke.

Not according to 'Oldfart' <-a PGC forum poster, he is  a manager in a retail store and he says he gets a 1 in 4 return rate for the Xbox.  

As for the Xbox having no disk utilties that is crazy.  You would at least need 'Defrag' and 'Scandisc'.  Maybe Xbox has a special filling system that would not need those tools.  Yes that is it, and they don't want to release it for the windows system.  That would be pure insano, would never fly.

"All I wanted was a Pepsi!"
'Take a wiff of my pant leg baby!'
-Blues Explosion

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2003, 06:46:39 AM »
From what I understood, the Linux FSs don't need defragging, but you still need to check them for incomplete write actions, bad informations about free space and of course bad blocks. A basic fsck is rather fast and can be run in half a minute upon boot, but a badblock check takes a LOT longer (sometimes multiple hours!)

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2003, 05:34:41 PM »
more ps2s = more that can break, having said that i talk to 3 people regularly that have PS2's, 2 of them being PGC forum users Mario and Infernal Monkey, both of theirs have a defect, mario's doesn't play DVD's and neither does Infernal's, and my other friend's was working perfectly upto the time it was stolen, his replace ment one is also going fine im lead to belive.. so in my experiance, 2/3rds of them suffer problems.