Author Topic: PSP Go: Is it worth $100?  (Read 5806 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
PSP Go: Is it worth $100?
« on: December 19, 2011, 12:12:31 PM »

PSP Go is pretty much dead, and the prices have dropped to $100 with local stores still having some in stock. These units were on sale previously, but never dropped much below this price as the stores selling (apparently) just ditched the stock and wrote it off instead of dropping prices any further.

I'm not a huge PSP fan but there are still probably a dozen games that I'd like to play on the system. The Go also seems like a decent portable media center, has apparently been jailbroken (I'm not a fan of pirating but homebrew is occasionally worth playing), and has a much much better form factor than it's big brother.

That said, $100 is still a lot of scratch and now that Monster Hunter will be available on 3DS my main incentive for buying has kind of dried up. Can anyone give opinions about whether this would be a waste of money?
NNID: ejamer

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: PSP Go: Is it worth $100?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »
Hmm, if you intend to jailbreak it, I would say maybe. Otherwise, no.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:28:40 PM »
Some of PSP games are only available on UMD's still and the Go is digital only so you might want to double check which games you want before hand.

Two, with Vita launching early next year you might not even have to BUY an PSP system since most people will give up their old system for next to nothing.   Hell you waited this long another 3-4 months isn't going kill you.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 02:20:27 PM »
Some of PSP games are only available on UMD's still and the Go is digital only so you might want to double check which games you want before hand.

Two, with Vita launching early next year you might not even have to BUY an PSP system since most people will give up their old system for next to nothing.   Hell you waited this long another 3-4 months isn't going kill you.

The games that do interest me most are available for download. I haven't checked pricing yet though... assuming they are reasonably cheap, but probably should confirm before doing anything.  Multimedia on the go does play a big part in this decision too though - putting video onto the 3DS is possible but hardly convenient.

As for being given a PSP system, it would have to be a Go as I have no interest at all in the regular PSPs. I find it very unlikely that anyone will give one away since the Go systems sold poorly (ie: relatively rare), were given a premium price, and I'm in a rural area.

But if you do know of anyone looking to ditch their system then let me know.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 02:22:52 PM »
If you really want a download-centric handheld, just wait and get a Vita.  The PSP Go is a P.O.S., both from a functionality and design standpoint.  If you really want a PSP, get a 3000 and a decent ProDuo memory stick for your download titles.  Otherwise, you'll be able to play all the PSP games you'd want to play on the Vita, so save your money.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »
If you really want a download-centric handheld, just wait and get a Vita.  The PSP Go is a P.O.S., both from a functionality and design standpoint.  If you really want a PSP, get a 3000 and a decent ProDuo memory stick for your download titles.  Otherwise, you'll be able to play all the PSP games you'd want to play on the Vita, so save your money.

I can't even pretend to afford a Vita - it would be three times as much money for a system with memory card, and that's without any games. (The PSP Go includes three games to get you started.) I have no interest in paying that much to be an early adopter for a gadget that does far more than I want or need.

I also disagree with your blanket statement about functionality and design w.r.t. PSP Go. The physical design appeals to me much more than the oversized and awkward PSP x000 systems, and that's based on seeing and using both. A PSP Go certainly isn't worth what Sony was originally asking... but it's not a bad system despite some limitations.

Sounds like the consensus answer to my original question is a resounding "no" though. Good enough. No PSP for me.

Offline Gamejunkie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 05:28:31 PM »

I have to disagree with your comment that the PSP Go is rubbish. From both a function and design stand point it's far better then the regular PSP's. It's only downside is no UMD slot so all games have to be digital downloads. That is also an upside or it would have been if PSP games had been available as both UMD's and downloads from the beginning and the downloads were cheaper. The smaller form factor and slide design makes it far more practical. It was also too expensive and should have been introduced at a lower price point.

Offline leroypantweather

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 06:22:29 PM »
yes jailbreak it, and get the cradle and a ps3 controller and its the best handheld. lets you play gb, gbc, gba, nintendo, snes, sega, sega cd, ps1,mame,  and psp games on the go or on the tv, plus i think my extra16 gb of memory was only 20 dollars. so yea doo it ,

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 06:26:15 PM »
PSP Go can PSP Go to hell.
is your sanity...

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 03:03:49 AM »
Isn't one of the main reasons to buy an older system because of the cheap used games?

If you want to get a dozen games I'd suggest getting the cheap used versions instead being forced to download at whatever price Sony sets for new games in the online store.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 03:42:28 AM »
For me the convenience of not having to worry about carrying around a dozen UMDs would outweigh the price difference.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 08:13:07 AM »
For me the convenience of not having to worry about carrying around a dozen UMDs would outweigh the price difference.

You can get 16gb memory sticks, which is equal to the amount of storage that the Go has.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 09:03:53 AM »
I was responding to SixthAngels suggestion to buy the games used. Regardless of whether it's a PSP 3000, a PSP Go or a Vita, you can't buy download games used.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 01:56:59 PM »
So almost a year later...

PSP Go consoles were finally marked down to $50, which looked pretty good. So I grabbed one and downloaded Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Despite disappointment to find Sony charging $20 for Monster Hunter from their digital store when it's listed as a $10 select title from their website, everything else has been very positive.

In the end, $70 for a portable Monster Hunter station is totally worthwhile for me. Waiting for the 3DS release would've been cheaper, but Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate includes a large amount of rehash from my hundreds of hours playing on Wii. This is an entirely new game for me, and having a PSP gives access to some other games that look interesting and some media features I can make use of.

All I want now is to:
-- find a good (preferably free) DVD conversion tool so that I can transfer my movies over to the console on demand.
-- see PSP downloads go on sale over the holidays. Not that I need more games in the near future, but eventually I'd like to pick up Valkyeria Chronicles II, God of War, Castlevania, and some others.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:44:22 AM by ejamer »

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 05:52:32 AM »
I'm glad you're enjoying it.
I sold my PSP Go to get some cash towards my Vita and I was very surprised at the excellent features they dropped from the Go. My favourites where blue tooth support for a dual shock controller (which I used when ever I played at home) and the save system that allows you to create a save point from any where in any game and have it sit on the XMB.

I would recommend trying out some Minis if you haven't already. Whose That Flying is one of my favourite games of all time and controls much better on the Go then the Vita (bizarrely) and Pac Man CE should be in every bodies collection.

I would also recommend getting the custom firmware on there because it gives you a lot of options to make the PSP Go a much more competent media center, and some of the old school emus are brilliant.

I hope you keep enjoying it for another 12 months!