Author Topic: Amnesia:The Dark Descent...Horror gaming done right!  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Amnesia:The Dark Descent...Horror gaming done right!
« on: August 28, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »
I read about this game late last year and subsequently bought it off Steam when it became available.  I've finally gotten around to playing it and dear God...I've NEVER played a more scarier game in my life! I'm only a little over  2 hours in, but that was played in like 20 min bursts because of how unsettling it is.  For those who like survival horror or just a good, genuine scare out of their games once in a while, here is a synopsis of what this thing is all about!

So...What's this game all about?

It's about a guy who wakes up inside this castle with no memory of who he is or why he's there until he finds a letter that he wrote to himself urging him to delve into the castle's depths to find the answers he seek (hence the title of the game). 

Sounds generic. What sets it apart from other survival horror games like Resident Evil or even Dead Space?

It's played from a first person perspective.  There's no HUD although you do have an inventory and a journal.  Also, there's no combat to speak of and-

Whoa, whoa! No combat? Like Silent Hill:Shattered Memories? That's no big deal...

Except it is. Unlike Shattered memories, you are accosted by enemies and are able to be killed swiftly at any time, not just during certain "phases" of the game. These enemies don't appear in great numbers, but when they do, your only option is either to run or hide. It ain't as easy as that either.

What do you mean?

Let's start with how the game controls. It's your standard First-Person scheme. You can run, crouch, and jump. The unique thing is the way you interact with the environment. Most things are able to be picked up, rotated, or moved around. Crates can be stacked to reach high places, drawers can be pulled out to discover the contents of stuff inside, etc.  The thing is, you don't just hit the "use" button to perform these functions.  You have to manipulate it with your mouse like you would handle the object in real life. For example, to open a door you have to grasp it and "Pull away" or "Push in" with the mouse.  To turn a crank, you must grasp the handle and rotate the mouse in a circle to perform the same function in-game.

Okay, so it has an immersive way of interacting with the environment. What has that got to do with running and hiding again?

Everything. Picture this scenario: You're exploring this spacious guest room in a wing of the castle when you hear the door open in the foyer proceeded by this moist garbled sound. Suddenly the music changes to this symphony of horror and you got to get the hell out of there but the only place to go is this door in front of you. You run to it and try to push it open with just the touch of a button, but forget that you have to grab and pull the door all the way out with your mouse to gain entry! Running in, you slam the door behind you in your haste to buy time for your escape only discover it's just another small room with a couple of armoires. That's when the monster roars and comes stampeding to your room (because you didn't think to close the door softly). Heart pounding, you jump into the nearest armoire and close the doors shut just in time to hear the door fly open to your room and the steps of the thing as it walks around searching and making some truly disgusting sounds for a bit before it retreats from your space.  You don't leave your hidey hole until you hear the door to the guest room itself open and close signaling the monster's exit from the room. And that's just one encounter.

That sounds terrifying awesome

It is. Did I mention that this game has sanity effects?

Wah!?! Like Eternal Darkness?

Sorta.  You see, the main character loses sanity whenever a monster is visible to him or close at hand, and when he spends to much time in the dark.  The effects themselves aren't as over the top as Eternal Darkness, although they share a couple.  But the most common efffect is his perception of reality will warp and waver, making navigation that much harder.  The only way to recover your sanity is by being in light.  This little mechanic forces you to make decisions about how to get away from your enemies because you can't just simply hide in the dark for long periods of time.  The longer you're in the dark, the quicker your sanity drains. 

I'm not afraid of the dark!

Good, because this game is drenched in it.  You have an oil lantern that uses fuel at an alarming rate, precious few tinders to light any candles, sconces, or torches in your vincinity, and very few places lit by natural light by a window.  And when you have no light source, bumbling around in the dark with all manner of creepy sounds, screams, and this ever present soundtrack of dread playing in the background, it's no wonder that I have to take breaks every 20-30 min.  My heart can't take it!

Sounds cool.  Any other pertinent info?

It's on Steam.  If you have a video card that's at least 5 years old, you can play this game at the highest settings with a rock solid framerate.  The art is good and the game does not look dated at all.  The soundtrack is dutifully creepy and the voice work is fine for the game.  It's only $19.99 and is about 8 hours from what I've read. There's a free demo of it out so everyone should check it out. The guys who made this game, Frictional Games, is an indie studio who also made the Penumbra series (another set of very spooky games).  This game would have been absolutely perfect on Wii. Also, if you can, play this game at night and with headphones to maximize the spook factor. If this game doesn't scare you, no game can as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to update this thread with my thoughts on the game after I've beaten it (which will take who knows how long...).  Has anybody else played this game/playing it now? I would love to hear what others have to say about it or other games that give you a genuine scare.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:54:17 PM by Razorkid »
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Re: Amnesia:The Dark Descent...Horror gaming done right!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:09:43 AM »
This game is amazing, I'm gonna go ahead and say it's the best PC game of 2010. Also, there is a youtube video of someone who literally starts crying while he plays it because he is so scared.

If you don't play it at night with the lights out, you are cheating

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 10:11:56 AM »
It is an absolutely great game, and it had me thinking back a lot to Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:46:52 PM »
It's four bucks on steam!

What are the best custom campaigns? :3

BONUS: here are the best reactions IMO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4w0_n1Yras#t=4m23s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIRo0iT0qNw#t=2m
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7XhjAVGLOM#t=6m55s

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 12:01:47 AM »
OMG LOL. What a bitch.

I hope they bought him a new pair of panties after that. I hope he never lives that one down.

but I have to admit that the atmosphere in that game is intense and it is very creepy. but I've only played the demo.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 01:14:02 AM »
You oughtter get it for four bucks.

I got the shakes a couple times playing it. I didn't load my save from the far end of the storage cellar for a few days. :[

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 03:34:19 AM »
I have officially put this game to rest for a bit.  It has taken me 2 months to play only 4 hours of the game.  The stress and intensity you feel when playing is incredible.  This game doesn't knock you over the head with cheap pop up scares, but really grinds this immense sense of dread and helplessness into you at all times.  The game is not even that long but I think I'll finish it next year  :Q .

I truly defy anybody who thinks they are immune to fear to play this game with headphones for just an hour straight and say they weren't creeped the hell out throughout the experience.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 10:11:41 PM »
I was replaying this game to check out the developer commentary and I'm seeing weird, different behavior from monsters and events and it's making me scared all over again :|