Author Topic: XBox's big game is Halo 2, what is GC big game of 2004?  (Read 12933 times)

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
XBox's big game is Halo 2, what is GC big game of 2004?
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2003, 11:15:44 AM »

Fad's sell, Michael.

Fad or not, its here to stay.

why are you all so far behind.. 05 is where its at.... and Nintendo has no chance against Microsoft in 2005... what with Halo Kart, Master Chief Golf & Tennis, Super Halo Sunshine, and Halo Party

[ in comic book guy's voice ]                 Worst attempt at a joke ever  
I'll shut up now...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2003, 11:32:31 AM »
"Fad or not, its here to stay."

Well then it's not a fad, because fasd, by definition, go out of style, like the Pet Rock.

Also, funny thing about the origin of comic book guy's catch phrase. A newspaper columnist did a review of The Simpsons around it's 3rd season or so and based most of the article on one episode in particular he saw (and disliked). He titled his column "Worst Episode Ever". Matt Groening thought the title was hilarious and had Comic Book Guy, who he views as being a lot like himself, say the line in one episode of The Simpsons and eventually branched out into other topics. Just thought you'd like to know.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2003, 05:36:04 PM »
>> Yeah, I guess I agree that Half-Life probably won't cause a slump in Halo2 sales, but I think it'll definately make the game look less impressive. Doom3 for that matter will make Halo 2 look like crap. I don't even know what people like about Halo, but it just seems like its gonna take an awful lot to make a really standout FPS this year <<

Yesterday I got the Ultimate Halo Companion w/ my pre-order of Brute Force. It has ALOT of Halo 1 & 2 stuff including a real time video trailer done on a Xbox. Today I got the latest OXM w/ a major HALO 2 cover & story. Lots of screen shots. DOOM 3, Half Life 2 and HALO 2 are all in the same category in terms of knock your socks off graphics / quality. FPS fans will DEFINITELY get all 3.

>> DOOM 3 will make Halo 2 look like crap <<

Nope. You haven't seen the trailer or the screenshots have you? From most of the screen shots / leaked story Halo 2 takes place on a battle ravaged Earth under Convenant occupation & the Master Chief returns to Earth in time to save humanity. The graphics look like a they have improved atleast a generation.

>> really standout FPS this year <<

There are 3 in the upcoming year. Doom 3, Half Life 2 and Halo 2.  ALL 3 will be on the Xbox. FPS fans will get all 3. The FPS fans with the butt kicking hardware to run D3 & HL2 on their power rig PCs will get them on the PC... those who don't will get it on the Xbox.  

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2003, 06:35:06 PM »
I don't know why I'm getting into this argument, but just because hardcore FPS fans will buy all three doesn't mean all three will sell well. In fact, Hard Core FPS players will buy the two PC games. Hard Core FPS players won't even play on consoles. Anyways, to not think the three won't drain on each other's sales is ludicrous. Average gamers will ask, "which ones the best" and that's what they'll buy. #2.) The shots I've seen of Halo 2 look an awful lot like Metroid Prime, and nowhere near as good as HalfLife or Doom. Geesh, it sounds like Doom3 pushes the brand new ATI cards pretty hard. Maybe the XBox incarnations will have toned down graphics that all look the same, but all I've seen are shots running on DirectX9 cards, and on those the other two blow away Halo.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: XBox's big game is Halo 2, what is GC big game of 2004?
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2003, 06:23:50 AM »
Problem with Doom 3, HL2 and Halo 2 is: They're all FPS! There might be minor differences between each other, but most of the time they will be something along the lines of Kill Everything (TM). I got a console because almost all games on PC are FPS/RTS these days, so I'll definitely not buy any more FPS on any console (MP was an exception, it was much more brain-focused).

Offline nonjagged

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2003, 07:47:08 AM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
Considering that Halo is Microsoft's only major exclusive, while Nintendo has several, I'm not sure that there's any need for concern.  That said, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Pikmin 2 are what I would consider the major games ANNOUNCED so far.

Actually just about every Xbox exclusive game has just turned out to be time-exclusive even Halo was originally going to be a PC title and is still coming out on PC soon only running like 10 times better than the mediocre 30 frames per second Xbox version .

Hopefully Halo 2 will rid of the annoying character spawning in front of opposition multi-players, youd think after all these years when it sometimes occured in eg. Goldeneye that developers would work out a justice system of re-spawning not in the vacinity of a multi-player who happens to be near a respawning point who just happens to get a charity kill .

As for Halo 2 which is a long way away (in reality about a year away at least), by then we could be playing a Zoonami FPS possibly if you want to compare the lack-of-PC-ported FPS on Gamecube.

Me I'll wait for Halo 2 when it comes out on PC running 10 times better than the Xbox version. That is if you have an uptodate GPU.

2003 = The Year of the Fund Q, Triforce & E3 surprises.

Offline Jedi Master Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2003, 10:38:07 AM »
Everyone's saying "Ooh, they have Fable and Halo 2." The problem is, those are the ONLY games Microsoft has. I also keep a list year-round of games I'm looking foward to (minus rumors and TBAs), and those two, plus Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, are the only ones on my Xbox list. My PS1/2 list has the most, but that's because I never owned a PS1 and I just got a PS2 for Christmas, so I have to catch up on all those great RPGs. My GameCube list is huge, and my GameCube is definitely my main console.
However, there's one main problem. I'm a "hardcore" gamer, so I know which games are good and which games are bad. For example, I know that Super Mario Sunshine was amazing. I know that SFA was a let down, and that Metroid Prime is one of the best games ever and everyone should play it. But other "casual" gamers don't. They buy whatever is "in style." That's where Nintendo is lacking. Most of the games that people are listing aren't going to be gigantic hits with "casual" gamers. Judging by the sales of Resident Evil 1 and 0 on GCN, I can guarantee you that 4 isn't going to sell as well as they'd like. But Xbox is great in getting the "casual" gamers to buy games that might not be as good as GCN games. Not to mention many "casual" gamers just outright refuse to play any game with Mario in it (or in the title) because it's "kiddy," even though SMS was one of my favorite games last year (beat only by Metroid and Vice City).
Check out the games I own!

Currently Playing:
1) Final Fantasy VIII - PSX

Jedi Master Yoda

Offline jc24

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2003, 09:02:13 AM »
i agree gamecube is going to need a lot of good exclusives to compete with xbox exclusives like halo 2, brute force, fable, counterstrike, doom III, half-life, etc.

Offline Vanilla Thunder

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2003, 10:41:13 AM »
GCA:  If you were Nintendo, what would you put into the next system?

Steven Kent:  Partner up with Microsoft. Microsoft wants to crack the Japanese market and can't. Nintendo wants to crack the older demographic and cannot. MS makes the most powerful box, Nintendo makes the best controllers. Leave the PC business in MS's powerful hand and the handheld business with Nintendo.

Personally, I think this is a brilliant idea and would score us gamers the best of both worlds.  Microsoft's endless cash and ingenius marketing strategies coupled with Nintendo's gaming muscle and world-renowned franchises would be more then enough to topple Sony's stranglehold, and would provide for the ideal environment in which to create a new golden age of gaming.

The only problem is that the Nintendo brand name may be overshadowed by Microsoft, unless the MS game division and Nintendo struck some sort of one-for-one "equal" merger, with MS handling the hardware and Nintendo at the helm of the game design.  

Halo and X-Box Live combined with all of Nintendo's tried-and-true franchises would be AWESOME!

Craziest Nintendo Character Ever
Ludicolo, the giant, furry, Mexican duckbilled pineapple man with a lily pad sombrero!  Yet another reason to love Pokemon!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2003, 11:39:59 AM »
Personally, I think Steve Kent was high an something when he said that. Even if you did honestly believe Nintendo should merge with someone, why pick Microsoft, who's only doing marginally better than Nintendo if at all? I'd merge with Sony if at all.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Vanilla Thunder

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2003, 11:43:57 AM »
Yeah, Mouse Clicker, you're probably right, with Sony already being the industry leader and all.  I don't know.  I just figure Microsoft would be a cool idea because then Nintendo would have X-Box Live-like networking to run off of, along with some serious marketing might to finally give great games like Eternal Darkness that final push they need.
Craziest Nintendo Character Ever
Ludicolo, the giant, furry, Mexican duckbilled pineapple man with a lily pad sombrero!  Yet another reason to love Pokemon!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2003, 04:14:59 PM »
they should merge with microsoft's bank account, and then er.. split, and take the money

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2003, 11:17:52 PM »
>> i'd merge w/ Sony <<

Why would Sony merge w/ N? Sony is the KING and doesn't need to. #2 ( M$ ) and #3 ( N ) merging to take on the king is more likely. But this is pointless because no one is merging with anyone. The three way console battle will last atleast another generation. Which is good for all gamers.... price wars, more games, more compettition, etc.