Author Topic: How to Return to Cartridge Gaming  (Read 8402 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: How to Return to Cartridge Gaming
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 08:24:06 AM »
well n64 games got up to 64mb, so all we need to know is that whatever came before it was less then that.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 08:54:44 AM »
I have all my games on a single SD card for convenience... but this sounds like an awesome project if you ask me.

Having cases for each game would be really cool and give a better sense of ownership. Switching SD cards wouldn't be that bad because I usually focus on playing through one or two games at a time anyway.

The only real downside (for me) is cost - I'd rather use that money to increase the size of my VC collection than to pimp out how those games are stored.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 12:30:43 AM »
well n64 games got up to 64mb, so all we need to know is that whatever came before it was less then that.
I'm sure that the VC follows the same 40MB limit that WiiWare has, so even if companies wanted to put up the three Nintendo 64 games that used 64MB cartridges, they couldn't.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 01:11:42 AM »
I would really like to see an idea like this come to frutition because it would be a quick and easy to have cartridge games without all the hassle of the games taking up space. They would be easier to store and carry around on the go.

Here is a step by step process of what I imagine this project would be developed:

First, save and store each VC title to its own SD card. Each SD card mustbe big enough to store the game, but small enough that massive amounts of storage is not wasted in the process. For example, suppose Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for Genesis is 12.5 Megabytes, put it on a 16 MB SD card.

Secondly, get a hold of a collection of slim DVD cases modified to hold SD cards.

Lastly, Print your labels for each VC title and place them into individual slim DVD cases modified to hold SD cards. Now the project is complete.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 08:08:01 AM »
Secondly, get a hold of a collection of slim DVD cases modified to hold SD cards.

Why don't you just use cases specifically designed for SD cards? You are worried about wasting space on the SD cards, so you must realize that a DVD case is much larger and much more of a waste just to hold a tiny SD card.

Also, do you realize that VC games can only be played on the system they were downloaded for? You cannot play these SD cards on any other Wii than the one you got them on.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 09:35:34 AM »
You know I think this whole thing is sort of silly and here's why.  The appeal here is to have the visual presentation of the case for display purposes.  I understand that but, I personally would think it be a better use of the case to instead of having the game in their have a little reproduction of the manual and a scrap book of what makes the game worthy of such a position.  Especially since all the games can live on 1 SD card in your Wii.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 11:38:02 AM »
Agreed. Having several hundred SD cards is delusional.

You should instead write some homebrew code that visually organizes your games in digital shelves. So you can go and pick one, look at it's manual and then play.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 01:28:29 PM »
This is what I hope Nintendo does with the Virtual Console for the Super Wii. Emulate game manuals and box art. If any of you are familiar with iTunes then you should know the option in the Podcast and music files that allows you to scroll through each album on the screen. I want a similar system for the Super Wii where the actual box art scrolls across the screen with the option of accessing the game's manual on the side. Reading the manual would be like reading a digital novel or scrapbook.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.