Author Topic: Skillz Cube Connection.....DIE!!!  (Read 6689 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Skillz Cube Connection.....DIE!!!
« on: April 30, 2003, 06:01:55 AM »
  Can someone please tell me why this damn thing doesn't work?  I download the driver , plug in my controller...and....nothing!  I click on gamepad, but i cant configure it...it doesnt work.  Is there something i'm missing?  I have windows XP, by the way.  Any help will be awarded with eternal blessings....
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 07:24:03 AM »
Uh, get rid of Windows XP?
No, seriously, I've heard of lots of programs and drives that refuse to work with Windows XP. Using an eariler version of Windows might help... but the best thing you should do is read the manual or at least visit the company site.

Offline dmcollin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 07:53:45 AM »
You have to install the driver, downloading is just part of what you need to do with the files.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 10:31:46 AM »
Driver is installed...the site for this product sucks.  Does anyone own this?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 12:48:33 PM »
There are some threads a while back that explain how to properly get it to work. For some reason you have to do in in some exact order. Something like installing the drivers BEFORE plugging it in...or something like that. Look at the old thread. I posted in it, so I guess you could check all my posts to find it or something...

Offline dmcollin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2003, 02:55:23 PM »
uninstall the drivers for it.  plug it in after windows has booted, when it looks for it specify the driver you dl, you also might have to do some config in the joystick menu.

Offline Hats1125

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2003, 06:50:42 PM »
I have the adaptor, and Win XP. It works great. Here is the instructions from my floppy install disk:

USB Controller Drivers 11-03-2002

Hardware:
   GameCube Adapter

Operating Systems:

Win98, WinME, Win2K, WinXP

IMPORTANT: Install software before plugging joystick adapter in.

To install software:

Double click "setup.exe"

If any previous drivers have been installed, a dialog will be shown,
  listing those drivers that have been removed.

Windows will then copy the necessary files, and may ask you for
  your Windows CD, and the current install directory.

Once the software is installed, the adapter can be plugged into the
USB port - after a short delay, an entry will appear in the Control
Panel for Game Controllers.

(c) 2002 Skillz Production Limited, Hong kong
http://www.extreme-skillz.com

Hope it helps

Offline Jollus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2003, 11:49:04 PM »
Some notes, you only get a config window if there is a GC controller pluged into the connector.  Otherwise the box will be blank.  IT DOES NOT WORK WITH WAVEBIRDS. Very important that you get that.  It just don't work.  I have no idea if third party controller will work either.  I bet they will but anything is possible.

I have windowsXP installed right now.  I do not have service pack 1 installed and it works great.  Are you running SP1?

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2003, 08:24:30 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  Heres where I stand now.  I re-installed the drivers, and finally the controller showed up in control panel.  It allowed me to configure the buttons and sticks.  But when I start up Madden, it only allows keyboard or keyboard/mouse control-it doesn't recognize the cube connector.  Is there yet another problem i'm over looking?  Maybe i'm just PC illiterate...

Offline djbronko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2003, 10:57:19 PM »
Hi everybody,

I just received one of these Skillz Cube Connection adapters, too, and for me, it doesn't work either. Here's my status:

I'm running Windows XP. I installed the driver that was included with the adapter, and then plugged the adapter in. A new device was found, and in the control panel there was a newly added a game controller.
If I click on "Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> Properties", there are two possibilities of what's happening:

1.) If there's a controller plugged into the adapter, a dialog opens but closes immediately - looks like the driver hangs up.
2.) If there's no controller plugged into the adapter, the configuration dialog appears, but there is no pic of the GC-Controller (as it should be), and only one button is visible ("Rumble"). If I close this dialog, the "Game Controllers"-Dialog hangs up. Looks like the driver is not cleanly programmed.

So, I wanted to know if it's a hardware or software fault. I took another hd and installed Windows ME freshly. Then I  installed the driver and plugged the adapter in. The configuration dialog was as I suppose it to be: a pic of the controller was shown, I could test all buttons. But I (like some other guys) also have the problem that the analog sticks don't seem to be calibrated. As the driver doesn't allow to calibrate, I renamed "usbpadff.dll" and "usbpadcp.dll". Now, the default windows gamecontroller config-dialog was shown, which has a calibration program. But nevertheless, the calibration was not successful.

What I want now, is to collect informations from all of you who also have problems with the adapter to solve these. I don't think that the manufacturer will help us.

1.) As it seems, there are only problems with Windows XP. Is this right? Or is there anyone having problems running another OS?
2.) Maybe it has something to do with the USB driver. I've got a VIA KT133A Chipset, how about you?

Here's what system configuration I already tried:
Chipset is VIA KT133A, so there where always the VIA "Hyperion" drivers v4.46 installed.
Windows XP with SP1 installed
Windows XP without SP1 installed
DirectX v8
DirectX v9

If we collect enough [and the correct ;-)] infos, maybe we can solve the problems.