Author Topic: Nintendo's Next Console May Employ 3D  (Read 11186 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo's Next Console May Employ 3D
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 09:45:54 PM »
The Wii and the GC are ALREADY 3D capable (from the mouth of Iwata himself). So why would it seem like a stretch that the Wii2 would be 3D capable too?

Doesn't mean it will be 3D focused, or that 3D will be the main feature, just means that the system will be capable of outputting 3D graphics should the need or desire arise. No different than the Gamcube and the Wii.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 02:37:49 AM »
The Wii and the GC are ALREADY 3D capable (from the mouth of Iwata himself). So why would it seem like a stretch that the Wii2 would be 3D capable too?

Doesn't mean it will be 3D focused, or that 3D will be the main feature, just means that the system will be capable of outputting 3D graphics should the need or desire arise. No different than the Gamcube and the Wii.
He also said no to the Wii doing it because the games would look like utter crap, even for an SD game.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 02:43:56 AM »

He also said no to the Wii doing it because the games would look like utter crap, even for an SD game.
Yeah, I saw that and commented in the other thread (that I saw first), but I don't understand the questioning of the next Nintendo console being 3D capable when the last 2 were and that feature was just never utilized or activated and probably not even known about to most until very recently.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 04:19:07 AM »
They will probably go the same route with the N6.  Have the ability locked away dormant somewhere just in case, but focus on the HD side of things.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 02:30:52 PM »
They will probably go the same route with the N6.  Have the ability locked away dormant somewhere just in case, but focus on the HD side of things.
Yeah, they'll hide it away until 3D tvs reach 30% market penetration. :)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2010, 06:50:58 AM »
Is N6 the generally accepted 'fan code name' for the next Nintendo system or did you just make that up?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2010, 03:10:14 PM »
I'd rather call it the N6 instead of Wii 2, for sure.

I don't want that name associated with any next-gen console Nintendo may produce.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2010, 05:40:51 PM »
But then the system after this next one could be called the 'Thwii'... ;)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2010, 05:48:22 PM »
It's a continuation of what people called what would become Wii during the GameCube era, before we got the codename Revolution. People called it the N5. I wouldn't be surprised if the GameCube was referred to as the N4 at one point.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 06:55:17 PM »
i just refer to it by whatever codename Nintendo gives out until Nintendo actually comes up with a real name. Until there is a code name i just refer to it as "the next system" or "Nintendo's next system", I don't see any announcements coming anytime soon. e32010 is over. Unless Nintendo reinstates Spaceworld or surprisingly shows something at TGS, and or some other flash megaton showing I don't expect any announcements till next year.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2010, 11:51:30 PM »
we've gone from "may" be to "will" be in a matter of a week

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6266844.html
Iwata also announced Nintendo's plans to make the successor to the Wii 3D compatible, telling Nikkei that "a full-scale entry into this field will take some time because 3D televisions will not catch on right away."

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 12:54:23 AM »
we've gone from "may" be to "will" be in a matter of a week

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6266844.html
Iwata also announced Nintendo's plans to make the successor to the Wii 3D compatible, telling Nikkei that "a full-scale entry into this field will take some time because 3D televisions will not catch on right away."

How will it take the 3D televisions to settle into the market? I am speculating atleast two years anf five at the most. I could be wrong, but Nintendo will most likely wait until the technology gets cheaper and implement it like they always do.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 12:17:57 PM »
If Nintendo seriously considers 3D an essential part of the Wii successor then we're stuck with Gamecube 1.5 for, I'd guess, at least three more years.

I honestly think that as successful as the Wii has been, hanging on to it for too long will hurt Nintendo.  The Wii has been an over-achiever since day one.  I think replacing it should be a priority.  It has too many very serious flaws to just hope that people don't notice them for a couple more years.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 12:55:47 PM »
So Nintendo's next system should have a built-in TV/monitor with an improved version of the 3DS screen technology. ;-)

If they're waiting for 3D television adoption to cross 30%, they're going to be waiting a long time.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 12:57:16 PM »
Theoretically supporting 3D needs enough horse power to essentially double the framerate of games... so supporting it means more horse power, which is awesome.

However, supporting it also means reserving horse power for that ability... which sucks! :)
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 01:03:59 PM »
Considering I still think they are planning 2011 reveal and possibly a 2011 release too, I think it may yet be a buried feature that can be unlocked, much like PS3 and Wii & GC before it.
I think Wii2 will be released with around the usual window of new system release and if 3DSTV's catch on, then Nintendo will be ready to unlock the feature and have more than enough horsepower to do it properly.