Author Topic: New Fire Emblem Announced  (Read 11509 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: New Fire Emblem Announced
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 12:47:28 PM »
"port"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suffice to say, is one of the words the Knights of Ni! cannot hear!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »
I think a cover song is a weak analogy because covers are not done by the same artist.  This isn't like Sega giving us their own take on Fire Emblem.  This is Nintendo, the original artist, doing a re-recording of the same song.  It's more of a remix.

Movie remakes also pretty much never have the same script as the original.  They're remakes really only in the sense that have the same title and the general plot is similar.  Most videogame remakes are like a director's cut.  Very few are as a different as a movie remake is.  Metroid: Zero Mission would be a rare example of a remake where it really feels like a complete overhaul.  Most videogame remakes just improve the graphics and add a few bonus missions or levels.  It's like a movie with improved special effects and deleted scenes put back in.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 01:26:30 PM »
I think a cover song is a weak analogy because covers are not done by the same artist.  This isn't like Sega giving us their own take on Fire Emblem.  This is Nintendo, the original artist, doing a re-recording of the same song.  It's more of a remix.

Movie remakes also pretty much never have the same script as the original.  They're remakes really only in the sense that have the same title and the general plot is similar.  Most videogame remakes are like a director's cut.  Very few are as a different as a movie remake is.  Metroid: Zero Mission would be a rare example of a remake where it really feels like a complete overhaul.  Most videogame remakes just improve the graphics and add a few bonus missions or levels.  It's like a movie with improved special effects and deleted scenes put back in.

But that's the thing, isn't it?  The two best remake examples I can think of are Metroid: Zero Mission and the Resident Evil REmake on the GameCube.  Both games were more than just graphical updates, but also incorporated new gameplay mechanics; new story elements; and often played (if not completely redrew) with the level layout and puzzles to make them more entertaining to new and old fans alike.  When I played both games, they felt like new games, not just the old ones with a new coat of paint.  From what I saw and read of Shadow Dragon, it was an old game with a particularly jarring new coat of paint because Nintendo didn't change much else to update the experience for a more modern gaming era.  I get the feeling we can expect the same of this game, and that's just not interesting to me.  I'd rather replay one of the newer games with more inviting gameplay features.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 05:47:05 PM »
I'm so in love with the FE series that I will probably get this, but I agree that it will be rather disappointing if it just takes the Shadow Dragon engine and lightly updates the actual game.

Though they did add some elements like the weapons triangle into Shadow Dragon. So maybe we will get more of the newer concepts incorporated into this game.

The one Japan-only title I really want to come over was the GBA one (Sword of Seals?). Especially since it is the chronological sequel to the first US FE. I like being able to continue on with similar characters and the same world like they did in the GC-Wii titles. It always felt silly that each one took place in a different world. Especially when all of these worlds are so similar in design and history to one another.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 05:48:36 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 05:59:27 PM »
The one Japan-only title I really want to come over was the GBA one (Sword of Seals?). Especially since it is the chronological sequel to the first US FE.

There's an English-language patch out there if you're really interested.  There are a few really irritating game play problems with the first GBA game that make it a frustrating experience.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 07:53:15 PM »
I've never played a single Fire Emblem game. I don't really think I'd like them, but I feel I should play at least one game in every Nintendo series. Which would be the best one to try?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 08:28:57 PM »
I've never played a single Fire Emblem game. I don't really think I'd like them, but I feel I should play at least one game in every Nintendo series. Which would be the best one to try?

Either Path of Radiance on GameCube or Sacred Stones on GBA.  The former is fairly easy by franchise standards, has a fairly interesting story with interesting characters, and gameplay mechanics like bonus experience (which you get by clearing maps quickly, and you can use it to level-up under-leveled characters between stages) designed to bring newer fans in.  If you like it, you can move on to Radiant Dawn but that game is very difficult.  Sacred Stones is more experimental and drops the forced linear progression of the series in favor of a map you wander around and engage in random encounters so you don't run into the series' problem of having a lot of characters you never use because you don't have time to level them up.  It also has a branching story with 2 protagonists, as well as a branching unit upgrade system that strangely has never been used since and awesome over-the-top battle animations that haven't been used in the 3D titles.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 04:07:52 AM »
I think Sacred Stones if my favorite one so far. Plus I like lances and it's the only game where a lead Lord has one as his weapon.

I very much enjoyed Path of Radiance as well.
My Game Collection

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 01:36:30 PM »
The original GBA game (well, original in NA anyway) is my favorite.  Hector is the best lord ever.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 09:24:14 PM »
Hector sucked in my game, but after babying him a bit he started to be killer.
My Game Collection