Author Topic: What I'm not thankful for...  (Read 3137 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
What I'm not thankful for...
« on: November 26, 2009, 09:48:21 PM »
I just want to gripe for a second.

I work retail. I have no problems working on a Holiday. In fact, I generally have it so I'm scheduled all-day in my department so my co-workers can have the day off. I understand that some people do enjoy spending the holiday with their family.

On that note, I really, really hate the people who come in to buy cheap plastic crap from China and say things like "Man, it sucks that you have to work Thanksgiving."

Don't you realize that the only reason a store is open on a Holiday is because they know you can't go 24 hours without having to buy stuff?

I don't blame the store - at all. It's a business. The goal of any business is to make money. There's money to be made, so they're open. But if there was no money to be made - if no one would shop on these holidays, then it'd be a loss for the store to stay open and the employees could actually spend the day with their family instead of helping you find shiny discs because you can't seem to figure out that those weird squiggles and lines on the front of the package makes letters and words that say what's in the package - all while you comment about how much it sucks to have to be working today.

If you're going to come in and shop, please feel free. But don't pretend for two seconds that you actually care about those who are stuck there working.

Rant over. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: What I'm not thankful for...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 11:14:49 PM »
Man, it sucks you gotta work today.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 11:15:28 PM »
Yeah, thats pretty sh$$$y of people to say that.  I worked on those days at Toys R Us and Hasting, and I always wanted to reply, "Well, doesn't suck as bad as walking around with that fat a$$ you got there".

Other than that though, those days were usually fun, especially while at toys R us.  That was back during the N64 era.  I used to love walking down the aisle with the class cases and just staring at all the different color N64's.  It was almost paradise.  Whatever happened to displaying consoles in special cases like that?
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 12:29:11 AM »
I try my hardest not to go to any stores on Thanksgiving/Christmas. I do actually feel for the people working, as I've often been that person myself.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 12:36:49 AM »
Same boat. I had to work on Thanksgiving when I was a lifeguard. People actually came in and swam.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 02:12:19 AM »
I hear that's what smack dealers say.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 02:17:45 AM »
I know what you mean UncleBob. Customers should leave being fake nice to the employees.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 03:06:52 AM »
I know what you mean UncleBob. Customers should leave being fake nice to the employees.

Employees who are fake-nice try too hard. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 03:14:30 AM »
You know that's weird because because I always run in to the cashier that says, "Sucks to work on holidays, but that's retail for ya!" and I always reply, "Not really because I REALLY needed AAA batteries and a fire-hose."
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 04:09:44 AM »
I'm so curious that I have to ask, what did you do with the firehose? and were the batteries part of the equation?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 04:39:41 AM »
I never thought of things that way. I genuinely feel for people working those days because I've been the one working them in the past.

I do try to avoid shopping on those days though. I'd rather stay at home playing games or spending time with family.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 02:25:49 PM »
But if we stay home today the economy stays in the shitter folks, go out there to spend some money on **** you need and thank people like good ol Richer here that are working hard.

Even if we don't boost the economy with our spending sprees, we'll at least let guys lile UB make some money so they in turn can go out and spend it. If walmart doesn't make $X they'll cut back hours, so no OT for UB, which means less money he can give to nintendo and child support.

Please, think of the children
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 02:38:45 PM »
Overtime?  You've never worked for Walmart, have you?

About as likely to get overtime as we are to get a union. ;)

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 02:41:43 PM »
No I've worked a worse retail chain tho :P

But at least I got overtime (though id get yelled at for it half the time)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 03:43:08 PM »
LOL, I hear Walmart will fire any workers who get caught meeting outside of work because they are so afraid of them unionizing.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 03:43:59 PM »
It's honestly no where near that bad. ;)

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 10:09:06 PM »
Why don't wall mart employees just join an existing retail workers union? Surely there is one right?
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 11:33:53 AM »
They get fired.  That's why.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 02:23:57 PM »
Wal*Mart should be worried about people who congregate inside the store, because we're plotting to take them down...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 04:45:05 PM »
I'm so curious that I have to ask, what did you do with the firehose? and were the batteries part of the equation?

Well, I already had the the crocodile boots and pot roast, so I figured I might as well get the rest of it before the black friday rush.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.