Author Topic: Art Style Thread  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
Art Style Thread
« on: October 14, 2008, 05:30:15 PM »
I've never started a thread before, but I've been on these forums since 2000 or so.  I'm just so excited about the new "Art Style" Wii Ware games, I wanted to begin a thread to discuss them. 

Orbient and Cubello will, I am certain, become my most played Wii games so far.  At least until another, equally adictive "Art Style" game is released. 

Orbient is an amazingly serene little game.  The 2-button controls are simple but nuanced, and the graphics are just enough to get by.

Cubello is a beautiful little puzzle game.  If someone in 1980 had to image what videogames might look like in the year 2008, I think they would picture something along these lines.  It is simple, just blocks of color, but pristine and futuristic. 

Both games are doing a lot with very little.  I think I am drawn to them the same way I am drawn to Atari and NES games.  They're simple enough that your brain is actively filling in the blanks, making these actual interactive games, and not movies where you occasionally control the protagonist. 

I can't wait to see what comes next.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:20:01 PM by Tanookisuit »

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Art Style Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 05:55:42 PM »
Hate to call you on it, but you've actually created two threads before.  Strangely enough, you seem to only create threads towards the holiday season.  ;)

I'm interested in Orbient, and will likely pick it up sometime in the foreseeable future.  Cubella seems less interesting to me, but it may just be because I don't know as much about it.

I'd like to see what Nintendo does if they decide to bring over Soundvoyager.  Seems like it could be pretty difficult to play without a good sound system.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:00:29 PM »
C-U-B-E-L-L-O.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 02:10:20 AM »
Cubello is pretty good, better than I thought at first.  It's simple, addictive, but definitely not deep.  Compare that to Orbient, which manages all three.  I would definitely recommend Orbient first, if you're only going to download one of them for now.

The next one coming is apparently a port of DialHex.  I asked Q-Games about whether DigiDrive might be coming, but they haven't been contacted by Nintendo about it yet.  So that one is at least months away, if it ever comes at all.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 01:12:03 AM »
For those still on the fence here is a review of Cubello by wiiware world.They gave it a 8.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 10:49:21 PM »
I got Orbient and I was very impressed with it! I play it when ever I have time or cant decide what to play!
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 08:24:54 PM »
I am seriously enjoying Orbient .

I am at level 21 and damn its getting hard and more fun and enjoyable.

For the first time I can say I would actually want to play this game with GAMECUBE controller.

Using the L / R buttons to control gravity/ anti gravity would be very cool as A/B work well but this would be excellent.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 01:37:17 PM »
IF anyone is curious this is the Final and 3rd ending to Orbient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dU8uhaXRlk

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 02:53:47 PM »
That's quite an accomplishment, Adolph.

I'm still playing RotoHex every now and then.  I think it's better than Cubello, although obviously not as flashy.  I can get to the blue level of Solo mode, but it gets so hard at that point.  Still haven't tried multiplayer, although I have a friend who is pretty good at the game, so we should do that sometime.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 05:00:40 PM »
I recently started playing Orbient. I'm having a hard time getting used to the mechanics but I'm loving it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 07:25:35 PM »
That's quite an accomplishment, Adolph.

I'm still playing RotoHex every now and then.  I think it's better than Cubello, although obviously not as flashy.  I can get to the blue level of Solo mode, but it gets so hard at that point.  Still haven't tried multiplayer, although I have a friend who is pretty good at the game, so we should do that sometime.

Thank You .

I told my friends whenever I look outside at night and see a crescent moon, from now on I will want to collect it.

The game gets pretty insane in the last few levels. One level where a black-hole moves left and right and is so fast it makes the level have a CURRENT. You must be perfect in changing to the next planet to orbit or else you will be caught up in the current and thrown into stuff and get hurt or eventually fly into the black hole. To really advance in the game you will learn to get hit and the time you invisible is time that can better position yourself to get the next planet to absorb. I must have gotten like 10-15 hours from that game alone because so many deaths, and experimenting and 50 levels doesn't seem like much but it really is. Best $6 I ever spent.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 07:00:30 AM »
Yes I am bumping this since there were 2 more Art Style games announced at the Media Summit.
Rotozoa impressions can be found at this link. http://Http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=115441

And impressions for Light Trax can be found at this link.
http://Http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=115440
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:03:45 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
How did I miss this thread before? and how is this two year old thread of one of the most amazing series in gaming only one damn page long? shame people.

Cant wait for the new entries.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro