Author Topic: High Voltage on The Conduit Sales and On-Rails Shooters  (Read 13810 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: High Voltage on The Conduit Sales and On-Rails Shooters
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2009, 04:37:41 PM »
I don't think it's really an issue that The Conduit is generic, after all the Wii doesn't have even generic FPSes yet and if all FPSes made for it were some weirdo "innovative" ones with gimmicks that may not work out it might be a problem because people can't find a straight FPS then. Genericity worked for Halo after all. Other entries into the FPS genre can try to top The Conduit with new gimmicks but I think as a foundation TC should be generic.

It only makes sense, doesn't it?

One way to start fresh is to go back to the beginning, start at the bottom of the bucket, and work your way up with a new approach, right?  The idea might not be desirable to some, but even Wii Sports followed a similar path by being a rebirth of Pong and other classic arcade ideals (and it was still huffed and puffed at).  I can even see Onslaught and Water Warfare sharing some roots in this belief.  Hell, Wii Sports is a foundation to Wii Sports Resort, which is a foundation for Wii Zelda, so fancy that.

Wii FPS products have fumbled about for the longest time.  These were modern (um, lol) shooters, by major publishers, that happened to have been released on Wii.  Multiple aspects were never nailed at once (control, graphics, hit detection, level design, etc), and rarely would one aspect get nailed at all (MoHH2, controls).  Despite the developers being 3rd string, these devs are still associated with very BIG NAME publishers, yet the products aren't doing the SIMPLE jobs customers asked for.   These modern products don't even stand up to a generic special agent alien-shooter from a no-name developer!  Something went wrong, and it was wrong product after product after product.  Can't these products do something RIGHT, at the most basic level closest to the point where the player turns on the machine, takes the first steps, and fires the first rounds?  It's like it's their first time playing Guitar Hero and went straight to "Hard."  SOMEONE, PLEASE, start over.

This bottom-up idea also applies to HVS as a software developer.  They're relatively young to big-big-project development, and they needed to build a foundation for themselves, cuz they planned to use it in the future (now).  Get these basics down cold then work your way up.  Might as well; most other 3rd parties are in no hurry to do so.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2009, 05:22:43 PM »
I can even see Onslaught and Water Warfare sharing some roots in this belief.

I think that was less a case of belief and more about Japanese devs having zero experience with first person shooters and having to figure the basics out themselves.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2009, 05:27:38 PM »
LOL I didn't realize they were Japanese.  That's a commendable job on their part.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.