Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers 2?  (Read 14949 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: New Super Mario Brothers 2?
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2009, 10:03:20 PM »
Do you really not have a DS? Sad day.
Do you want one or do you just not desire one right now?
I got one this past Christmas but I recently sold it. Despite that it is a relatively expensive item, it was actually an impulse buy. I was in Best Buy the day after Christmas deciding what to spend my Christmas money on, and that's when I saw it: one lonely pink DS sitting in the middle of an empty broad shelf. I couldn't resist buying the poor little thing. Better me than some spoiled little kid with rich parents who would abuse the thing.

The thing's been out for over four years now so I figured it was about time I get myself one, even if just for the Mario games. When I first played it I didn't play either of the games I bought; oddly enough, I went straight for the Nintendo Channel and downloaded some game demos. Therefore, the first DS game I played was Lock's Quest, which bored me.

I have two main reasons for selling it, which have little to do with the games themselves. First off, I don't really have the need for a portable. I don't travel very much and when I do, chances are I'm not going to want to play a game. Mostly though, is that it splits the focus of my gaming dollar even further; I already have seven other systems to buy games for. It was just another "mouth to feed" as it were, and I decided I didn't want that.

I don't regret buying it because I wanted to try it out, and now that I have, I have an idea of what I am missing and am okay with it. I'm not ruling out that I'll never buy another one either, though it would probably be when the DS successor comes out and a DS can be had on the cheap. I'm glad I got to play New Super Mario Brothers. I mean sure it looks bland and isn't very creative, but I still found it to be a solid and enjoyable game. I spent hours just looking for the three stars coins in each level.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2009, 05:21:13 PM »
Interesting. I know I turned down getting a cheap XBox from my Dad back in the day because of the same 'supporting multiple systems' thing. They were rather humored by my "I can't afford to support two systems" statement. I kind of regret it now because I have an unopened copy of Halo 2 and there are a couple of XBox games I wouldn't mind getting.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2009, 09:15:28 PM »
I used to own an XBox, it was a gift from someone who didn't know me very well.  ;) You're not really missing anything, unless you like generic shooters and PC down-ports. Fusion Frenzy was the only game I liked on it. Sadly it was stolen a couple years back...

I do own three XBox games, the ones which were sold at Burger King. I thought they might become a collector's item but they've sold over two million copies... :-\

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2009, 10:00:22 PM »
The Xbox was the system to own for multi-platform games. The Xbox version almost always looked better, had much faster loading times (I hate traveling between islands in the PS2 versions of GTA games because they took like 10 seconds to load, the Xbox versions were about 1 second) and had other bonuses like custom songs using the Xboc hard drive. I also shutter at the thought of anyone playing the crappy PS2 port of Psychonauts. That continues with the Xbox 360 over the PlayStation 3. I use my PS3 as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc player and my only 2 PS3 games are collecting dust while I have about 18 Xbox 360 games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2009, 10:08:45 PM »
The Xbox was the system to own for multi-platform games. The Xbox version almost always looked better, had much faster loading times (I hate traveling between islands in the PS2 versions of GTA games because they took like 10 seconds to load, the Xbox versions were about 1 second) and had other bonuses like custom songs using the Xboc hard drive.
I don't find any of that to be worth buying a system for if you owned one of the other two. Also, I personally cannot stand either of the two XBox controllers as they are exponentially uncomfortable.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2009, 10:14:29 PM »
You seem to be in the minority on the controller issue as most people seem to (and I agree) think that the Xbox 360 controller is perhaps the best video game controller ever designed. Once I got my Xbox I couldn't play any other version of a third party game because the Xbox version would be so much better. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, for example, seems like crap on the PS2 when you compare it to the Xbox version.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2009, 10:23:24 PM »
I don't understand that. How are mounded buttons comfortable? They dig into your thumbs. How are non-rounded shoulder buttons comfortable? Again, they dig into your fingers. How is a triangular design comfortable? It causes wrist strain. How is its large girth and weight comfortable? It's very cumbersome.

I've actually heard the opposite, that the XBox controller is one of the worst controller designs, right up there with the Dreamcast. I guess it depends on who you ask.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2009, 10:34:12 PM »
You must be reading Sony fansites. Almost every neutral site/magazine (including 1UP, Game Informer, GamePro, etc.) all praise the Xbox 360 controller. It's perfect in size (unless you have super tiny hands), the glass buttons feel great and natural and I don't se how they dig into your fingers. The shoulder buttons feel great and are the best on any controller i've ever held and no they do not dig into my fingers. What triangle design are you talking about? I don't see any triangular design. The controller has never cause my wrists any strain, even after several hours of non-stop play. Heavy controller? Hell, it's one of the lightest controllers I have ever seen or held.

And the only people i've ever seen compare the excellent Xbox 360 controller with the Dreamcast controller are fanboys like those at the Sony Defense Force.

This topic has gotten way off-topic.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2009, 10:46:47 PM »
I think we're having a little miscommunication here. It appears you switched to talking about the XBox 360 controller even though we were discussing the original XBox. I've never used the XBox 360 controller so I don't know anything about it; what I was describing is the original XBox controller.

EDIT: I think I see where the problem lies. When I said the "two XBox controllers" I meant the original XBox controller and the redesigned XBox controller, the Controller S I think it was called.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 10:49:32 PM by Mop_it_up »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2009, 10:58:04 PM »
Yeah, there was the confusion. I will agree that the Xbox Controller S is a little weird (I never used the "Duke" controller). The Xbox 360 controller is vastly superior to the Xbox ones.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2009, 02:19:17 AM »
Yeah, there was the confusion. I will agree that the Xbox Controller S is a little weird (I never used the "Duke" controller). The Xbox 360 controller is vastly superior to the Xbox ones.

Who calls it Duke? I always knew it as "The Hamburger". Since all of my early exposure to XBox was the dorm lounge and we were always trading off controllers I got used to both of those designs plus a different 3rd party controller. Good times.

ANYWHO... Back to the topic at hand:
I wonder if they are considering making a New Super Mario Brothers for the Wii. It would be interesting to see what they could do with that possibility. Though between Warioland and Mario Galaxy we may not get a chance for a full length 2D Mario game on the Wii.

It could potentially be a great crossover market considering it is still on top 10 game sales lists in the US.
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2009, 10:16:34 AM »
Just about everyone calls it the Duke, at least once they announced the re-designed controller. The gaming media especially loved calling it that, even if it was unofficial. It's the same way people started calling the original Nintendo DS the "DS Phat" when the Nintendo DS Lite was announced.

Wario Land: Shake It! had pretty mediocre sales, so I wouldn't expect a 2D Mario to happen on the Wii (except maybe for WiiWare).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2009, 12:49:22 PM »
When a name is retroactively applied to something to distinguish it from something new, that's called a retronym. That's the word of the day, use it!

If a 2D Mario game gets released on Wii then it would probably be WiiWare, which means I couldn't buy it.  :(
The closest we'll likely come to a 2D Mario on Wii is Super Paper Mario.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2009, 03:25:35 PM »
Nintendo wouldn't release a 2D Mario on WiiWare when they could charge twice as much for it on the DS.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2009, 10:45:05 PM »
True, and that's probably one reason why Nintendo themselves haven't released very many WiiWare games.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2009, 10:53:05 PM »
I think Nintendo also wants to let third parties profit from it. Nintendo is well aware that most core gamers tend to buy Nintendo's games over third party games (this has been the case ever since the NES, but it became more prominent during the N64 and GameCube days when most system owners tended do be hardcore gamers that prefer Nintendo style games). Third parties have even complained about how their main competition is Nintendo itseld. So maybe Nintendo wanted third parties to really have WiiWare to themselves. They have done the complete opposite with DSiWare, where almost everything is just from Nintendo.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2009, 10:53:32 PM »
Some of the things NSMB had from other Mario games:
- Level selection (SMB3/SMW)
- Hidden pathways (SMW, SMB3...?)
- Item houses (SMB3)
- Towers/Castles (SMB3/SMW)

What NSMB2 should have if it is made:
- Expand the Star Coins system a bit (item house currency would work)
- Items that enable you to fly.
- Yoshi, Yoshi, YOSHI.
- Different playable characters with unquie traits and weaknesses (y halo thr SMB2)
- Airships, make the castle levels mini-castles.
- KOOPALINGS (none of the Bowser Jr. BS)

It doesn't hurt to dream.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2009, 11:51:34 PM »
It would be awesome to have another one! Im sad that awhile ago I lost my copy of NSMB but I still have the case. It happened to one of the my friends also. Is the first one still running $30?
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2009, 12:26:34 AM »
Is the first one still running $30?
$35 new. Maybe you could wait and see if it's ever on sale since it has been out for a while now?

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2009, 01:32:19 AM »
That's crazy... I found a couple on ebay for about $15. This is the 2nd or 3rd DS game I have randomly lost... I got my DSi decided to play it again and it wasn't in the case and I tore my room apart and couldn't find it.
~David~

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2009, 02:58:09 PM »
Check your other cases. I store all of my DS games in a few of the cases and the rest stay on my shelf empty.

If you can't find it, since you already have the case you could look around for a good deal on a used and case-less version to store in your case.
My Game Collection

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2009, 09:19:45 PM »
Yeah, Ive looked in all my cases. Ill buy a used one sometime. At the same time I am kinda glad I lost it because it inspired me to look through everything in my room. The memories.....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:10:27 PM by kraken613 »
~David~

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2009, 09:05:03 AM »
It would be awesome to have another one! Im sad that awhile ago I lost my copy of NSMB but I still have the case. It happened to one of the my friends also. Is the first one still running $30?

Sometimes you see people on sites like ebay or half selling just cartridges without the case or the manual. These go for a lot less than complete games, and since you already have the case this shouldn't matter to you at all.
is your sanity...