Author Topic: Ugh... I Suck At FF VII  (Read 6430 times)

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Ugh... I Suck At FF VII
« on: June 21, 2008, 04:36:38 AM »
I can't beat the last boss.  I did fine the entire game, only having to restart a few times when bosses would defeat me, but Sephiroth is owning my ass every time.  It really sucks 'cause I don't have a save before getting stuck in the last area so I can't go grind some more, and I seem to be stuck.

I'm about to give up with it and just watch the end on YouTube.  I don't want to but I don't know what to do, I've had this game for like, ten years and I've never beaten it, and I thought this would be "the time".  I guess I just suck at RPGs 'cause I don't have the patience to grind and just want to go through the story, I should have known better.  :(
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Ugh... I Suck At FF VII
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 05:04:45 AM »
I never had much trouble with Sephiroth and I never grinded in the game, I just kept moving on and never fought for the sake of experience or gold (for secrets, yes).  I didn't have the patience to fight either the Ruby or Emerald weapon, those things were just too damn powerful, if you think Sephiroth is tough you should have tried to fight one of them.

I suggest you get your best limit breaks to near use right before you fight him if you can, it gives you some easy damage right away, also of course use Knights of the Round then use mimic on that or maybe Cloud's limit break.  I haven't played it since it came out so that is the best advice I can give.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 12:38:29 PM »
I don't have Knights Of The Round or even Mimic.  My characters are apparently completely gimped, even though for some reason I was able to pass the entire rest of the game without much trouble. 

And this morning I loaded it up to give it one more try, and was actually holding my own, barely.  (Most of my turns consisted of healing/Phoenix Downs, but at least I was staying alive and occasionally doing some damage on the guy.)  Then of course the game freezes in the middle of one of the stupid "Super Nova" 2 hour long animations.  I'm so frustrated!

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »
I don't wanna sound like a jerk but my sister, who is not a gamer aside from Mario and Sonic, beat Sephiroth her first try. She brags about it cuz I died the first time I fought him. The secret is getting the Knights of the Round. And having your inventory maxed out. It has been years since I even played FF7 so I don't think I can offer much advice. Just don't sweat it, he is just a normal goon, get the "he is the last boss" out of your head and fight him like you would any other goon. Also are you dieing on his first or second form? That makes a difference.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 01:23:17 PM »
The second form, the very last boss fight.  You don't sound like a jerk, 'cause I don't have Knights Of The Round, and only have the materia I've picked up along the main quests. 

It sucks 'cause I planned to finally beat this before I started Crisis Core, but now I just want to say screw it and watch it on YouTube, but at the same time I don't 'cause I never do that.  My OCD won't allow me to give up.  Maybe it's just been so long since a game has actually challenged me that I can't handle it anymore.  :-P

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 01:28:57 PM »
It's a hard boss fight that is true. Knights of the Round or not you can still beat him, that was why my sister did it her first try, she had it, I didn't but on my second try I got through it. It takes like a half an hour to beat his ass though. I never did any of the side quests either. That was the difference between me and my sister. She played the game for the hell of it, I played it to beat it. Well I loved it and didn't want it to end but it was the first RPG I ever completed so it was a big deal to me.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 02:07:05 PM »
Yeah, I read another forum where some guy said it took him two months before he finally beat the last boss, so I don't feel so bad now.  :P

I'll just keep pluggin' away, hoping I get lucky one of these times.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 02:51:22 PM »
Look on the bright side, the knights of the round animation is probably the single longest unskippable animation in the history of videogames.  If you think Sephiroth's supernova is long this thing takes about 15x longer.  I didn't use it at times just because the damn thing give me enough to time to eat dinner before its halfway through.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 03:48:48 PM »
Sephiroth basically dies from boredom cuz he knows he can't out last Knights of the Yawn.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »
If you can't beat it on your save file, you can always download a save file from GameFAQS.  They even have one where all you have to do is enter the final battle and you automatically win.  ;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 10:30:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I was dumb and didn't realize that I could run all the way out of the Northern Cave and back on to the Overworld, I really thought I was stuck down there.  But out of frustration this morning I just said "what the hell?" and tried to get out, and what do you know, you can!

Now I've been spending the entire day trying to breed the stupid Gold Chocobo so I can get the stupid Knights Of The Round so I can watch it's (apparently) 4 hour animation and beat stupid Sephiroth so I can be done with this stupid (awesome) game.

Unfortunately now I'm stuck 'cause for some reason my chocobos just will not breed a blue female, even though all the FAQs say that as long as I use the same parents that I used for the first color (my green male), I should easily get the opposite the next time I breed them.  Yeah, not working.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 12:19:40 AM »
I beat it without the KOTR, so it can be done. Besides, um how do you spoiler again?

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 12:47:26 AM »
Don't spoil me yet I know I can do it soon!  :-P

Now I can't get a Black female chocobo to save my life, I thought it was supposed to be random but EVERY time I load up I get a male.  This game hates me.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 11:14:27 PM »
I was able to get a gold Chocobo on the PC version of FF VII, but in a bizarre twist of fate, that PC decided to die...  :'(

On the PSX version, I've tried for days to get it, but no go. I did manage to beat Sephiroth without KOTR, though I'll have to look at type of setup I had.

What Lvl are your characters? Who are you primarily using? What Materia do you have maxed out? What materia combinations do you use? What equipment do they have? Do you have all the Limit Breaks?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 12:26:03 AM »
I actually beat it last night at about 3 in the morning.  I've been kind of crashed out all day.  I finally got Knights Of The Round (which isn't actually a longer animation than Super Nova, or at least it doesn't seem like it, maybe it's 'cause stuff is actually happening during the animation), and barely beat ol' Sephy with about 150 HP on all of my characters when I finished him off with Cloud's suitably titled "Finishing Touch".

That was an event 10 years in the making.  I feel so accomplished.  :-P

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 01:36:56 PM »
Besides, um how do you spoiler again?

{spoiler}Spoiler goes in here{/spoiler}

Just replace the {} with [].
Check out PixlBit!

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 11:54:33 PM »
God I hated FF7.

The only decent character, Aeris, dies and I can't revive her even though I've got like 99 Pheonix Downs.  It's kind of like how Optimus Prime dies from a stomach wound in the animated Transformers movie, but Ultramagnus can get blown into itty bitty pieces and they can fix him right up.   ???

The only reason I kept playing because my roommate told me that I would see her again.  I get to the end and see her face at the last screen.  He was laughing his ass off.  "What?  Didn't you see her?!"

That being said, the game got traded-in the next morning.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 04:41:08 AM »
Weird, I liked pretty much all the characters more than Aeris/Aerith.  Cloud is an awesome leading man, Barret is hilarious Stereotypical Angry Black Man, and Tifa was hot, and her history with Cloud was neat.  Cid is cool, Vincent is ridiculously bad ass (especially once he got a voice in Advent Children).  I never cared for Yuffie though.  She was just annoying.  Stealin' all mah materias. >:(  And Sephiroth is probably the most iconic RPG villain in existence.  That theme music in the final battle?  Brilliant.  The scene with him surrounded by flames?  One of the most instantly recognizable and iconic scenes in gaming.

Aerith I never cared about even in my first playthrough.  Which surprises me when i hear how some other fans were shocked and saddened by her death.  I honestly never cared.  Not that she's not a good character... just I was more interested in the other leads I suppose. 

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 01:50:55 PM »
Weird, I liked pretty much all the characters more than Aeris/Aerith.  Cloud is an awesome leading man, Barret is hilarious Stereotypical Angry Black Man, and Tifa was hot, and her history with Cloud was neat.  Cid is cool, Vincent is ridiculously bad ass (especially once he got a voice in Advent Children).  I never cared for Yuffie though.  She was just annoying.  Stealin' all mah materias. >:(  And Sephiroth is probably the most iconic RPG villain in existence.  That theme music in the final battle?  Brilliant.  The scene with him surrounded by flames?  One of the most instantly recognizable and iconic scenes in gaming.

Aerith I never cared about even in my first playthrough.  Which surprises me when i hear how some other fans were shocked and saddened by her death.  I honestly never cared.  Not that she's not a good character... just I was more interested in the other leads I suppose.

**Warning: Long and over opinionated quote to follow.**

My feelings are actually quite the opposite of yours.  Of course before I delve into my opinions on the characters I should set up the setting first.

I played this game when it first came out back in 1997.  Being an absolute huge fan of Square at the time and coming off of 3 back to back stellar RPG's (Secret of Mana in 93, Final Fantasy 6 in 94, & Chrono Trigger in 95), I was completely and utterly stoked for Final Fantasy 7.   FF7 had some huge shoes to fill when it compared to FF6 and CT, but all the screen shots (no video in the 56k days) seemed to indicate that it was going to continue the fine Square tradition of making high quality games.  Boy was I surprised.

Actually shocked is probably the better word.

It all started with Barret.  Barret was the beginning of the FF7 downward trend for me.  He hit the scene with a bunch of yelling and *gasp* cursing.  Cursing?!  That had never been done in any prior FF game.  It wasn't done for effect either, he was throwing out the profanity left and right.  Worse was that he was stomping his feet and having a tantrum like a child.  This was the most horrifyingly stereotyping and I'd ever scene and it was coming from a video game of all things.

Living in the south has taught me all I ever needed to know about stereotypes and racism.  I can't stand biggets and racists, but I've learned to accept that not everyone can treat everyone equally, no matter what color the pigment is in their skin.  But seeing this in a video game was complete blasphemy to me.  Video games had always been free of this sort of thing and FF7 put it right in my face not 5 minutes in to the game.  Where had Locke, Frog, and Edger gone off to?

Then we meet Cloud.  The one thing that always stands out about Cloud is his indifference.  The famous shoulder shrug.

Barret: The #*&^ world is in danger! Don't you give a &##@^&#?!
Cloud: *shrugs shoulders*

Ok, what?  It was like he was the living imbodiment of "Meh".  God, I hate Meh.  Ok, so the guy wants to be indifferent, fine, but this is the main character.  Would Terra, Chrono, or Cecil ever have acted like that?  (Yes I know that Cecil was a dark knight, but he never wanted to do what he was doing and quickly made an about face.)  Cloud's personality rubbed me the wrong way right out of the gate and I couldn't except his "maturation" later on in the game.  It just felt too forced.

Aeris was a throwback RPG character.  She was kind, thoughtful, and caring even if to a fault.  What was more amazing was that she did so in the dark, looming city of Midgar.  When Sephiroth killed her, it was like he was killing all that was great from the older SNES era RPG's.  It was like a passing of the torch from the old generation to the new.  He may as well flipped off the camera in the process.  I could almost hear Square saying, "get used to it, this is how the world is now and what you need to expect from the future."

To me, Tifa was the T&A needed to make the series darker and edgier.  Stand her next to Aeris in pictures to see what I mean.  Mid drift shirt, huge rack, mini skirt, and the ability to use martial arts to increase the chances of "accidental" panty shots.  Ugh.  Had this game come out a few years later, I guarantee she would have had either a eyebrow, belly button, or nose piercing.  Not that she needed them, but to make her character design that much edgier.  She looks rather common place by today's standards, but for 1997, she really stood out.  Maybe that was the point.  Meh, *Cloud shrug*

Cid was a complete and total bastard.  I hated him more than any other character in the game.  What a complete dick.  The cursing, the chain smoking, and much worse than that the verbal abuse he gave to Shera.  You may as well have thrown a wife beater on this guy, because he was grade a trailer park trash.  Most of the time, I never put him in my party.  When I did, I always equipped him with the "Guard" materia in order to make him sacrifice himself to protect the others.  This was completely against his persona and brought me great joy.   ;D

Yuffie was a throw away character for me.  She reminded me a lot of Robot, Yang, or Setzer.  I could have done with or without them.  Meh.  *Cloud shrug*

Vincent was a total emo/dark badass that just needed a hug.  Again, being a secondary back up character with no worth while attributes or personalities, I could have taken or left him.  I heard he was fleshed out a little more in other game iterations, but I don't know.  Meh? *Cloud shrug*

Red XIII and Cait Sith were the equivalent of Mog and Umaro to me.  Characters that weren't human and didn't play a big role in the grand scheme of things.  I hardly ever used Cait Sith, although Red XIII did get some play time from me.  In the end, you guessed it, Meh. *Cloud shrug*

Then their was the gameplay itself.  Materia's were basically like espers, so that was cool.  But what was with the summons?  I get it that we had never seen dramatic camera shifting in RPG's to this point and they were very cool, but unskippable?!  Even the most dedicated and hardcore FF7 fan would have to admit that they would skip the KOTR animation after seeing it two or three times.  You could get up and get a drink from the kitchen before that thing finished.  It took forever.

Speaking of forever, can you say load times?  I know, I know it was 1997 and CD readers weren't that fast.  The average load time for each battle was around 10-12 seconds compared to 3-4 seconds for FF6 and CT.  Cartridge vs CD right?  So, why not compensate by removing random encounters with real time avoidable ones, ala Chrono Trigger?  Give the players the choice of whether they want to fight or not.  To grind or not to grind, that is the question.  I think it was poor planning on the game designers part.  If you know that you're going to have slow load times, compensate in some other way.  You can't control the hardware, but you can change the game.  Random battles only came about due to hardware constraints of the past, which are no longer a problem today.  The encounters should have been similar to the way Tales of Symphonia handled them.  Big monsters on the map, that if touched, started combat.  Heck, they did that in Zelda II on the NES.

Finally, the ending.  More specifically the final battle.  I recall having to put in disc three just before the final fight with Sephiroth.  It wasn't until about halfway through the fight that I realized that this was the end.  Not the end, but the end end.  You know how the bosses in all RPG's have like three forms.  I was fairly certain that I'd fight Seph, beat him and then he'd run away.  Ten more hours of gameplay would follow.  I mean, why not?  I just started disc three.  It was around the time he blew up Saturn for the third time that I thought this fight was a bit over the top to be just another fight.  Of course, seeing as how I hadn't acquired KOTR, the fight was taking the better part of an hour to complete.  Hmmm....maybe the epic music in the background should have been another dead giveaway.

Anyways, he dies, I watch the ending, don't understand a single thing that just happened and the game ends.  I vaguely remember Red XIII in the ending CG or something, but I was so fed up with the game at that point, I just didn't care anymore.

Final Fantasy 7 had just become the single greatest disappointment in my view of Square.  It introduced the western world to RPG's yes, but it also brought with it a heap of baggage which is still used today.

The next 5-7 years would make sure that no game play was ever shown in a commercial, it was all cut scenes and CGI.  Our heroes would "evolve" into darker, less caring characters.  Cursing and over the top violence would become common place.  New gamers would now use FF7 as the starting point of their RPG experiences and shun and laugh at the RPG's of the past.  Never giving them a second look because they were to "childish" or had awful graphics and sound.

A lot of my opinions stem from my personality and the way I grew up.  I always like the leader type as opposed to the anti hero personality.  Give me Luke over Han.  Leonardo over Raphael.  Cyclops over Wolverine.  Goku over Vegeta.  Edger over Sabin.

There was no one over Cloud.  Aeris came the closet to that, but she got offed at the end of disc one.  If it wasn't for my roommate lying to me about getting her back, I would have returned that game the next day.  He literally talked me out of it and I refuse to let him live that down to this day.

The world changes and evolves, I get that.  I certainly don't want every game I play to be cut from the same mold.  Now I think that the gaming industry is almost to the point that games are turning into a different direction.  There will always be blood and guts, over the top cut scenes, sex, and anti heroes, but maybe they won't be the focal point anymore.

Anyways, that is why (in an overblown lecture) I hate and continue to dislike FF7.  If you actually read the whole thing, I commend you.  You deserve an 8-bit reward:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqZXzcqvwMY

(100 levels for that?!?!  :D)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 01:59:03 PM by bosshogx »
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 03:01:05 PM »
I actually read the thing.  It seems our differences in opinions about the game stem mostly from personality differences, and your love for old school RPGs.  I suppose I am a "new generation RPG fan", and I'm hardly that.  The only hardcore RPGs I've ever played are FF VII, FF VIII and FF X, all of which I loved, but I also like them from best to worst in that same order.

For me, Han Solo was my here in Star Wars, and Luke was the whiny guy that just happened to be the son of an evil Sith Lord.  Han Solo was what I wanted to be when I grew up, so I guess I identify with the "anti-hero" type character.

(Oh, and I completely forgot about Cait Sith, that's how much I hate that character.)  I most certainly don't think FF VII is a "perfect" game, but it comes damn close IMO.  I even prefer its battle system to the direction I've heard FF XII and XIII are heading in.  I do admit to hating random battles (or just TOO many goddamn battles.), and thankfully they learned their lesson and started letting you skip summon animations in FF VIII.