Author Topic: Geometry Wars Galaxies  (Read 2256 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Geometry Wars Galaxies
« on: January 17, 2008, 09:41:25 PM »
I've been playing that a lot for the past few weeks. Kinda nice but dpad + stylus = cramp. I wish they hadn't just considered the stylus grafted on, menu and especially pause controls (so you can pause/unpause without being unarmed while you're moving your hand in position) should really have been there.

The DS seems to lack the swirling backgrounds and have fewer particles flying around compared to what I've seen of the home console versions but I can't say I miss them, it's hard enough to see what's going on. There's slowdown but when that happens there's usually so much crap on the screen that the slowdown helps you survive. Interesting how much the DS can handle before the slowdown starts.

The geoms you get from medals are really ubiquitous, I've got a million of those things already and I'm wondering if there's even enough things to spend those on in the whole game. My turret drone hit max level already, I'm now looking into other behaviours if they're useful in some way. So far the turret beats everything (sure, it shoots without aiming but in this game you can hardly shoot anywhere without hitting enemies).

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
RE: Geometry Wars Galaxies
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 05:06:08 AM »

ubiquitous - adjective
existing or being everywhere, esp. at the same time; omnipresent: ubiquitous fog; ubiquitous little ants.  

I would like this game if it moved as fast as the Wii version. To me it sounds like self torture going  out and playing  a slow version then coming home and playing a really fast version.  
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 06:21:05 AM »
Slow? What do you mean? The slowdown is pretty rare, do you mean they slowed the game down on the handheld?

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
RE:Geometry Wars Galaxies
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 06:24:30 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Slow? What do you mean? The slowdown is pretty rare, do you mean they slowed the game down on the handheld?

Yes sorry KDR thats what I meant.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 06:27:20 AM »
Must be awfully fast on the console then, there's so much going on that any faster would leave you with little time to react and some enemies are pretty damn fast.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 07:43:49 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Must be awfully fast on the console then, there's so much going on that any faster would leave you with little time to react and some enemies are pretty damn fast.

I heard it from someone on this forum. I'll try it myself, see what I learn.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 05:12:25 PM »
If you want the Geometry Wars that feels the closest to Retro Evolved on the 360 in terms of difficulty, the DS version ain't it.  On any of the BAT planets, and in some of the later stages the slowdown begins almost immediately.  Nowhere close to as much spawns on the DS version either, on more than just one planet have I been able to survive for more than 2 hours without any effort whatsoever and place in the top 5 on the leaderboards for those stages.  Speaking of which, the DS leaderboards on a whole have FAR higher scores than on the Wii because of that difficulty difference.  On the DS the green and pink squares are no threat at all, on Wii you will FEAR them because on there just about everything moves faster, comes at you in much higher numbers, and you get no slowdown assistance in dealing with it at all.  

Other than that, for kicks on the go the DS version is quite nice.  Just don't expect to feel the same level of dread that you do on the home game.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 02:10:13 AM »
Oh I do hate those pink things because if you shoot them they don't necessarily die, there's tiny fragments that love ramming into you (though I noticed the fragments aren't guided as much). I think repulsors might be worse on the DS since you have a limited field of view and those things can go from offscreen to impact in a very short time. I know protons usually make me hit the panic button (bomb), don't want to know how nasty those are if they're even faster.

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 10:05:29 AM »
Yeah, the pink fragments are especially nasty on Wii because if you're not at the right distance to kill them there's a significant chance that one of them will get you.  Protons can be much scarier as well since their will be times where there could be anywhere from 4 to 10 gravity wells on screen and if more than one of them gets set off it's a hell of a situation.  Combine them with neutrons, and I hope you're extremely skilled at clearing paths.