Author Topic: Wii Sports lasting impression worries  (Read 1381 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Wii Sports lasting impression worries
« on: November 25, 2006, 05:42:46 AM »
Go Nintendo posted an article which stated one of the main worries behind the Wii; if the games (mainly Wii sports) and the controller will be enough to keep non gamers (family, casual gaming friends etc.) interested in the Wii.

While the concern is valid, there shouldn't be much to worry about because Nintendo already has planned games that take Wii sports' appeal further.

First is Wii music (aka, the conductor demo at E3). You have seen how in all the Wii trailers they show at least one person being a conductor. This is a game that can easily attract lots of people in, especially if you're conducting skills affects the overall performance.

In the US we will get Wii play in January. That should provide hours of party game fun.

Big Brain Wii should be good as well, especially if it delivers multiplayer the same way the DS game did (which was VERY fun).

Wario ware Wii should attract some people in, despite its niche hardcore gamer appeal. My sister and niece LOVED Wario ware touched and they are casual gamers, so there is a good chance casuals will enjoy Wario's unique brand of gaming.

And finally, if the recently announced Wii health pack is the talked about aerobics/health life game, that should attract lots of people in (especially female gamers).

Oh yeah, don't forget Animal crossing!

I'm sure there are other games I am forgetting, but what I am saying is that there shouldn't be any worries regarding the lasting appeal of the Wii beyond Wii sports because there are plenty of games in the horizon that should further enhance the Wii's performance.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE: Wii Sports lasting impression worries
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 06:07:03 AM »
I think the thing here is that Wii Sports is more of an introduction to gaming. Perhaps after having their fill of Wii Sports they will pick up a driving game like Excite Truck and try something new. Perhaps after that Zelda, so on and so forth. If Nintendo can hook people that motion control is fun, people will look to experience motion control in new ways. I think Wii Sports is fantastic and people who aren't gamers love to play it. I'm sure you are right pap, with Wii Play and Wii Music launching, non gamers will have something else to latch onto and enjoy for hours yet again.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline D_MaN87

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 08:46:25 AM »
I have a direct experience with wii sports bringing in non-gamers.  My mother, who would rather do anything but play a video game, saw me playing wii sports, and gave it a try.  An hour and a half later, I had to pry the controller from her hands.  I have non-gamer friends whom also have been hooked on wii sports.
Wii Number: 1080 3358 2033 2880
FF3 Number: 2620 7985 5351
Diddy Kong Racing DS: 0688 1563 4718

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 10:10:07 AM »
I do think there's a possibility that these gains will be short-term, but it's really up to Nintendo to just keep thinking of ways to please new audiences.

If you look at the games on the market and compare them to a book store, it's like a book store that has a sci-fi and fantasy section, some sports magazines and record books, and comic books.  Nintendo is trying to add cook books, do-it-yourself books, puzzle books, books about animal care, and more to the shelves.

Some people don't like science fiction or comic books, just like most of us probably don't like romance novels.  Some people will never get in to the Legend of Zelda.  That's okay because Nintendo is finally starting to think about what games they might like to play.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX