Author Topic: S-Video question...  (Read 1677 times)

Offline COMC

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
S-Video question...
« on: November 22, 2006, 08:32:15 AM »
I have a 30-inch DVI screen - http://www.apple.com/uk/displays/specs.html - and I would like to connect my (well, soon to be mine!) Wii to it, in order to play games on possibly the best screen ever made.  So, I am looking for an S-Video/Composite to DVI converter, with a zero latency architecture.  Does anyone know of anything like this???

Thanks...

J

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: S-Video question...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 09:51:48 AM »
I don't know of any specific devices available.

And in my opinion, taking a low-resolution interlaced source (S-Video) and displaying it on a non-TV monitor that isn't designed to accommodate this low-rez source will result in an overall worse picture.  It would be an insult to your screen, and the picture won't be pleasing.

~~~~~

Converting S-Video/Composite to DVI is an interlaced-to-progressive conversion, which is not a perfect process.  If such a converter exists, you'll worsen the picture by either blurring the image, cutting the resolution in half, maybe cutting the framerate in half -- depending on the deinterlacing scheme chosen by the manufacturer.

If you can accept a mild picture clarity sacrifice, and you simply want to use your screen to play games because it's convenient (NOT because the screen is good -- it's only good for what it's meant for), then you should look into getting a TV capture device for your computer, rather than direct-to-DVI converter.  They don't have any appreciable latency, and the output quality is more certain than a rare custom made DVI converter.  The video from the TV capture device will display in a window in your OS, and you just expand the window to full-screen.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 10:21:02 AM »
What if he gets a Component to DVI adapter? Wouldn't that be much better?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 07:10:51 PM »
MUCH BETTER.

He never mentioned component.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Saturn2888

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 09:36:21 PM »
Well using S-Video, lemme tell ya, it's gonna look very bad on a high-def monitor. Since you have that Cinema one, you have to note that it's a 16:10 aspect ratio whereas S-Video is designed to transmit only 4:3 and 16:9. Using it on a 16:10 (if you can get the conversion to even work), you should hope the monitor will automatically add horizontal black bars to the top and bottom. Well, actually, all it would do is actually make sure you don't have vertical stretching which'll make it look worse than if you used an RF connection, at least, that's my opinion.
Only insanity brings perfection.