Author Topic: Ed Boon talks about Wii  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Donutt007

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Ed Boon talks about Wii
« on: August 12, 2006, 09:04:27 AM »
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon on Wii

Pretty neat interview. Check it out

I was wondering at the time what we would be able to substitute for the missing buttons. Remember, at the time of the original interview, I hadn't even touched a Wii controller. As far as doing something new, there are obviously a million new ideas that come to mind in working with what we now know as the Wii controller.

With that in mind, making our current iteration of MK with a new controller (with fewer button inputs) does impose challenges. But the new controller also opens up a sea of new possible ideas that could not have been considered with the traditional game-pad configuration. That is were the controller gets exciting from a developer's standpoint.

Unfortunately I can't confirm the use of any of the controllers at this time. But I can assure you that we are definitely going to look into all of the controller options available to the Wii. Wii would be crazy not to. Sorry, I couldn't resist. [Smiles]

He sounds pretty excited about Wii!

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE:Ed Boon talks about Wii
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 10:03:52 AM »
Looks like the game might be a bit different....

1UP: What about your comment that it seems difficult to make a fighter because of the number of buttons available ("I don't know how you could. One of the things about the Revolution controller is that you don't have immediate access to a whole bunch of buttons." -Game Informer Online, March 14th, 2006) -- still agree?

EB: My comments were referring to making our current iteration of Mortal Kombat, meaning the original side to side perspective that was designed with many button inputs in mind.

1UP: Smash Bros. on Wii will reportedly not use many of the special features built into the system's controller. Did hearing that make you think -- at least somewhat -- that your original comments were on the money?

EB: Hearing that did make sense (as I explained before) because Smash Bros. was originally designed with a different controller scheme in mind than the new Wii controller. I'm sure a completely new Smash Bros. could be designed that utilizes the new Wii controller, but it would probably be different than previous versions -- a different input scheme and maybe a different camera perspective as well.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: Ed Boon talks about Wii
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 07:20:45 PM »
First Person Fighter? They've never worked very well before, maybe the Wii can change that.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: Ed Boon talks about Wii
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 09:32:32 PM »
damn right
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Ed Boon talks about Wii
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 12:28:06 AM »
ign spoke about this in the wii podcast, they spoke to him and said he claimed all these idea's, asked if he was gonna use them and it seems not so