Author Topic: Wireless Networking? Clearing up the confusion ...  (Read 1893 times)

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Wireless Networking? Clearing up the confusion ...
« on: March 02, 2003, 10:30:25 AM »
An errant comment made on another message board has people thinking that Miyamoto and Nintendo are going to introduce some sort of Wireless networking solution for GameCube.  I'd like to clear things up a bit by showing you how this miscommunication occurred.  Below is a snippet of the transcript from the DICE roundtable with Miyamoto and Aonuma.  (Look for the italics.)

Whenever Nintendo's been asked, "When are we going to see more online games?" The response has always been, "When we see that the market is ready." Is there a possibility that at E3 this year, we'll be able to see more online or LAN-style network games from Nintendo?

MIYAMOTO: I can't really say a whole lot about E3 right now, but Nintendo is still at a point where we don't currently see online games being successful as a business model at this point so I don't think you can expect to see any serious look at online games at E3. I do think that the communication aspect of networking and linking games together, including LAN games, is definitely very interesting. We're going to look at ways to show that off at E3. Particularly linking the Game Boy Advance and the GameCube and linking four GBAs together, which is also kind of a form of communication and networks.

What about linking GameCubes together?

MIYAMOTO: [Laughs] Unfortunately I can't say anything today.

How content are you with the connectivity Nintendo's been able to show off on Game Boy Advance so far?

MIYAMOTO: No, I think we're still in the middle of a big challenge in trying to show off the capabilities of [connectivity] and we're still looking for some more definitive examples to show off. One of the preconditions for connectivity is that everyone has to have all these cables and people who have a GameCube also have to have a Game Boy Advance and that may not always be the case. Up until now, we've really been focusing on taking the idea of connectivity and presenting it in a way so that people who do have both can find, "oh, I do get more value out of this," or, "this is a little bit more fun," or, "this is an interesting experience." We're looking more at trying to build on that and establish the basic groundwork for us to go forward.

The comment about cables came right after the networking question, but was otherwise entirely unrelated.  To boot, the phrase "that may not always be the case" came closely after the cables comment, but was in response to needing a GameCube and a GameBoy Advance for "connectivity", and again, had nothing to do with the GameCube specifically, or networking in general.

Just wanted to make sure everyone is clear on this point.  The other message board in question is abuzz about this "wireless networking", and I just wanted to make sure that it doesn't filter over here as well.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2003, 10:54:54 AM »
Now thats what I call a preventive strike
LZ 2005

Offline Anonymosity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2003, 11:21:12 AM »
no, i believe thats what you call pre-emptive strike....and i want nintendo to actually have an online plan  

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2003, 12:57:20 PM »
huh, and we just set up a wireless network at home too
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]