Author Topic: uh-oh: Nintendo reconsidering Wii?  (Read 13557 times)

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE: uh-oh: Nintendo reconsidering Wii?
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »
In a few years no one will notice. Except stand-up comedians.

'What's the deal with Wii? Who thought it was a good idea to make a pronoun a noun? We is coming! That doesn't sound very grammatically correct to me!'  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2006, 05:28:31 AM »
No one will notice the Wii? Maybe not.

Don't read that aloud.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline eljefe

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:uh-oh: Nintendo reconsidering Wii?
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2006, 05:35:13 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
Im calling it the nostros, is an abreviattion of nosotros, we in spanish, and sounds like a million times better...yeah Im not kidding anyone, the name is simply unavoidable and unchangable, its the Wii... urgh...  it sounds so awful!

That would've been a cool name (but its a little difficult for the average English speaker.)

I might call it that
tho.

Its very inclusive, partly cause it sounds like nuestros

which means "ours".

..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2006, 05:46:56 AM »
Yeah I wouldnt have called it like that. I really thought that they were going to call it the RS (which I think is bad, but now it looks extremely good). Its a simple acronym, the "arse" jokes are way better than the "wee" jokes because they arent as obvious, and also it relates with the DS in the public's mind, which is a very good thing given the success of the handheld and how the handheld has the same direction that the rev with the "disrputive market", "new way to play games" and "atract non gamers" thing.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2006, 06:03:11 AM »
RS would match the DS

but would suffer the same "flaws" that some people see in DS.

Basically, if we could have thought of it, it wasn't disruptive enough for Nintendo.

Hence, the name Wii.
..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2006, 07:39:42 AM »
But it wouldve make their marketing efforts easier and thus the inversion lower, it was almost a sure thing. The disruptive in the console is the method of input, not the name, the only disrupted are us, the ones who didnt need disruption.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline RiskyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2006, 08:13:50 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
But it wouldve make their marketing efforts easier and thus the inversion lower, it was almost a sure thing. The disruptive in the console is the method of input, not the name, the only disrupted are us, the ones who didnt need disruption.

That's bull.  It's much easier to market a name that people immediately take notice of.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2006, 08:18:26 AM »

That's bull. It's much easier to market a name that people immediately take notice of.

Not if they have to ask at least two additional questions about a name they think is ridiculous.  By the way, it is possible to take notice of a great name too.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2006, 09:03:48 AM »

Originally posted by: The Omen

That's bull. It's much easier to market a name that people immediately take notice of.

Not if they have to ask at least two additional questions about a name they think is ridiculous.  By the way, it is possible to take notice of a great name too.

That's exactly what I'm not understanding about the "pro" argument. All the supposed things that are good about the Wii could be found in a name that doesn't have such huge downsides.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2006, 10:25:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus

Originally posted by: The Omen

That's exactly what I'm not understanding about the "pro" argument. All the supposed things that are good about the Wii could be found in a name that doesn't have such huge downsides.

What name has potential to have a more symbolic visual appeal than Wii?  The two "iis" not only apply to the word as a whole but also can be used to symbolically portray two individuals playing together (Like the trailer showed). In addition, I believe the reason for those two additional questions is so people have something to go off of without already predisposing the person they are asking to favor their own point of view. The questions are meant to provide an unbiased assessment of people's true thoughts of the name, nothing more, nothing less.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144