Author Topic: Speculation: New feature has something to do with online  (Read 2041 times)

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Speculation: New feature has something to do with online
« on: May 01, 2006, 06:49:23 PM »
Notice how recently, Wii developers have been very ambiguous about online features?
I figure they're all still NDA'd for some reason or other. Now, we KNOW Nintendo is committed to online with Rev outside of the VC. There's no way these features won't exist. So what is so special about online play that the details about it are still being held back?

Hmm...is there any potential for a revolutionary feature in the online field...I feel like it's all been done, but now, with all the news we're getting, it seems as if this is the missing piece of the puzzle, while everyone's distracted by the various other announcements.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Speculation: New feature has something to do with online
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 07:06:23 PM »
Every game is just another client for a giant MMORPG. If you buy a Mario game, you jump around on platforms. Fzero, you race. Zelda, you crawl dungeons

All with millions of people all over the world!

Sorry, Paladin.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 07:13:11 PM »
I think there's def something to the online aspect that devs are being hush-hush about, though I can't imagine what Nintendo could do that hasn't already been done before. Maybe the secret is just a Live-like service.

...oo, you know what would be cool though, the ability to play online against people even if your friends don't own the same games, ala DS download play.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:Speculation: New feature has something to do with online
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 07:50:28 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering
I think there's def something to the online aspect that devs are being hush-hush about, though I can't imagine what Nintendo could do that hasn't already been done before. Maybe the secret is just a Live-like service.

They devs have been really quiet about it, even the Red Steel team.  But like you said, there isn't much they could do Microsoft hasn't.

Remember, 1up had an editorial that mentions said secret (I can't find the link, so I copy pasted it from another message board).

Miyamoto and Iwata have hinted at a final secret for Wii that has yet to be revealed. And while we're sworn to secrecy, 1UP knows what this secret is -- and it's rather revolutionary. In fact, it's perhaps the most intriguing element of the system -- something with some rather cool implications for gaming. Let's just say that people have more to look forward to at E3.

So while there are probably some secrets about how the online features will work, I don't think it's related to the almost legendary final secret.

I'm also not inclined to believe that the secret is the since announced tilt sensitive nunchaku, as it isn't really more intriguing then the FHC.

I think this one isn't gonna get out before May 9th.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 08:25:45 PM »
being related with online is very likely which sucks... damn wii, I hate your two "i"s.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 08:59:42 PM »

...oo, you know what would be cool though, the ability to play online against people even if your friends don't own the same games, ala DS download play.
Online not yet, but single-disc LAN play was announced, and not many seemed to notice it. It would have made for a pleasant surprise during the E3 press conference. But, as it stands, it didn't garner much attention.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 09:26:03 AM »
Two words:  Micro Transactions

God, I hope not.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!