Author Topic: UbiSoft's has five titles for the Revolution.  (Read 8082 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:UbiSoft's has five titles for the Revolution.
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2006, 10:46:35 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I can safely say I would never buy any of these games.  It's better for the Rev to get these games then to get nothing instead but these are nothing significant.

I don't think they're "significant" except for the fact that Ubi would have likely not chosen to put any of them on the GC today but they will do so for the Rev.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: UbiSoft's has five titles for the Revolution.
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2006, 05:09:35 AM »
river city ransom is still the king beat-em up for me, followed by turtles in time
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2006, 05:47:01 AM »
Hm, I never really saw the point of beat 'em ups but then again I never played one with a fighting system beyond "mash punch" or "keep using that one sweeper attack". Always seemed too random to me, couldn't figure out a way to avoid damage. Maybe I just never played the good ones or there's some secret manual you have to find in order to understand the game...

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2006, 06:31:50 AM »
Streets of Rage 2 was probably my all-time favorite because my brother and I had honed our skills so well that we could make it through the game on every setting but the very hardest.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2006, 06:37:27 AM »
Great Beat-em-Up/Brawlers

Ninja Turtles Arcade
Xmen Arcade
Final Fight
and of course, Double Dragon (the first real beat-em-up)

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2006, 06:47:22 AM »
I actualky agree, Streets fo Rage 2 was my favorite out of the series also. and Streets of RAGE is still my favorite beat em up series, next to Turtlse which I have All of event he enw ones and I still like them too.  
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2006, 07:30:36 AM »
Ninja Turtles Arcade

Hm, I played that*, both arcade and C64 (first game I bought boxed, 40DM back then). Still can't see any logic to the fighting system but then again I didn't play that for like ten years now.

*= Actually I played Hero Turtles but I don't think that makes a difference.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2006, 07:42:30 AM »
Double Dragon is obviously historically significant but I find it doesn't hold up at all.  It's a weak example of the genre.

My favourite beat-em-ups are by Capcom.  The best one I've played is either Cadillacs and Dinosaurs or The Punisher.  Both games play pretty much the same only with different source material and C&D is three players while Punisher is only two.  I prefer Punisher's style myself.  The real draw is that both games have an insane amount of weapons to use.  There's a lot of that interactivity I was talking about.

Both games are arcade titles so you need MAME to play them.  Punisher was ported to the Genesis and though I've never played it I've heard the end result was pretty good.  Cadillacs and Dinosaurs was never ported to a home console sadly.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2006, 08:15:22 AM »
There is nothing better than River City Ransom, and there never will be either.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2006, 08:20:18 AM »
Captain Commando is possibly tied with Turtles in Time for my favorite beat em up.  Capcom should revive the Commandos outside of Marvel vs. Capcom.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2006, 08:33:01 AM »
I should mention the arcade "Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara" as one of the most highly evolved BEUs ever made.

Also, Warriors of Fate is just awesome. One of the first BEUs to introduce finishing moves on enemies.

Anyone here ever played the original Battletoads arcade? It was bloody, violent, and somewhat perverted.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2006, 08:34:32 AM »
You know what was a good current gen Brawler? Red Star. I played it on a PS2 kiosk for a level or two and was impressed.

Of course, it was an Acclaim game and it was never released because the company died. It would've been good though.

http://xbox.ign.com/objects/568/568330.html

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2006, 08:51:41 AM »
Someone on another forum has said they own a copy of Red Star.  Supposedly you can get it leaked.  I'm sure this is all through illegal means, so I won't say any further.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2006, 08:53:13 AM »
"Everyone has lost their touch for side-scrolling beat-em ups."

Ian Sane obviously doesn't play Treasure games.
And yes, River City Ransom is king.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2006, 09:42:35 AM »
"Ian Sane obviously doesn't play Treasure games."

Which ones?  I've played Astro Boy which is sort of a beat-em-up but not really in the style I like.