Author Topic: GC hookup monitor question  (Read 4494 times)

Offline assassin1234

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
GC hookup monitor question
« on: January 17, 2006, 01:01:14 PM »
i'm about to buy a comp package, and have several options, but am looking for one that i can hook up tp my cube and play on the monitor. can someone tell me what is actually needed? i've heard that it requires a TV tuner. I'm in Toronto, Canada, and my cube is about 8 months old. these are the specs of the comp i'm planning on getting:

3.0GHz Intel® Pentium® D Processor 830 featuring two processing cores (800MHz front-side bus and L2 Cache = 2 x 1MB)
1.0GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2 x 512MB for ultimate performance), expandable to 4GB
250GB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
LightScribe Double Layer 16x DVD±R/RW drive with CD writer capabilities: 16x DVD+R, 8x DVD-R, 4x DVD±RW, 2.4x DVD+R DL, 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CDR, 24x CDRW, 40x CD-ROM
DVD-ROM drive 16x maximum speed
ATI RADEON X300 SE PCI-E graphics card with 128MB DDR video memory and TV out
Intel® High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable with up to 5.1 surround sound capabilities for 6 speaker configurable, 8 speaker configurable use with up to 7.1 surround sound capabilities
TV tuner (NTSC) with personal video recorder and FM tuner (antenna included)
56K modem and 10/100Base-T ethernet
External Ports: Front panel 9-in-1 memory card reader – supports Smart Media, xD, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital (SD), Compact Flash I/II, Micro Drive, Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro; 6 USB 2.0 (2 front, 4 back); 2 FireWire® (IEEE 1394) (1 front, 1 back); 1 parallel, 2 PS/2 (back); Microphone/headphone/line-in; Composite Video, S-Video, and Audio Inputs (front)
with a 17" LCD monitor (does the monitor require something, or any lcd monitor is fine?)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: GC hookup monitor question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 02:05:13 PM »
Just connect your GameCube's S-video/AV cables to the S-video inputs in the front of that system, while using the TV software they provide, and you'll be fine.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:GC hookup monitor question
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 08:13:32 AM »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline assassin1234

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 02:48:34 PM »
thx pro. ive seen lcd monitors that have tv tuners, does this mean that they dont need the pc and can directly be used to watch tv, etc?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 03:11:42 PM »
That's correct.  And they'll give you a better picture since they're designed to be TVs as well.  Just be sure it's got S-video Input (for your GC), at the least.

* TV input on a PC involves extra conversions to allow viewing in Windows.  This results in a loss of detail/definition.

Offline assassin1234

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 04:19:10 PM »
my gc came with av cables.
with a lcd monitor (with tv tuner), will i still be able to convert videos in my vhs tapes onto my harddrive? thx again.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 04:36:59 PM »
No, you won't.  The LCD monitor, by itself, is only acting as a display device.  "TV tuning", in essence, is just the ability to watch TV programming and change channels.  You'll need a PC with TV input to do any vhs-to-harddrive recording.

If you manage to get an LCD monitor/TV that supports S-Video, consider visiting your local game retailer for GameCube-compatible S-video cables.

Offline assassin1234

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 10:22:26 AM »
y? wats the difference between s video and av cables? cant the tv tuner of the comp that i listed support both?

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 10:43:04 AM »
S-Video provides better quality over AV ( Also known as composites ) S-Video stands for ( Super Video ) the quality is quite abit better and colors don't bleed in compairison to AV, Also S-Video can only transmit Video Signals. But Pro can give you more details on that

Yes that comp can support, but like Pro said, there will be a loss of quality. instead for instance there was a direct connection to your monitor, where in that case it'll be like using a TV with no loss of quality in compairison. if you're gonna hook it up to the tower, I believe your best bet is to get S-Video, "in either case, S-Video is the better choice" The only thing better is component w/ progressive scan
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 02:26:33 PM »
"Composite Video, S-Video, and Audio Inputs (front)"

Yeah, the comp listed does support S-Video and Composite inputs.  No problems there.

But because the S-Video option is available to you, we're recommending you spend an extra $3-$10 on GameCube S-video cables to take advantage of the improved picture quality.  Typical GC S-video cables already include the Composite (yellow, red, white) connectors found on the default AV cables.  So basically, it's an AV cable PLUS an S-Video plug, giving you the choice of the default option (yellow plug) or the higher quality option (S-video plug).

Example:
http://gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801341
("universal" just means it's compatible with multiple game systems)

Offline assassin1234

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 05:48:23 PM »
thx pro and mystic. one last question. im planning to get both (19" lcd monitor with tv tuner, and the comp package i listed). how would i change channels on the lcd monitor if im watching tv on it (assuming i dont hook it up to the pc, just use it as a tv)?

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 07:09:10 PM »
Yes, you would use it like a Tv. Say if you have DirecTV ( or any cable box/receiver ) You would change the channel by using the remote that came with said receiver. , I'm assuming it operates in the same manner a TV would.  But in essence it would work like a TV in that same manner.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res