Author Topic: Pop-ups are one thing...  (Read 2979 times)

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Pop-ups are one thing...
« on: September 27, 2005, 10:31:21 AM »
But could you please do something about the uber annoying popups that take 3 clicks to get rid of? I know you need these to keep the site running, and if its just a single window that I can close out of, I don't mind.

But these new ones that open a dialogue, then open a window, then open another dialogue are a little much.  

Thanks.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Pop-ups are one thing...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 10:52:37 AM »
Set your browser to "block unwanted popups" and "disable plugins".

Offline TMW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 11:07:09 AM »
But I likes the plugins. =P

It already blocks popups for the most part...just an exceptional few get in.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 11:31:20 AM »
Pop-ups can be generated through Flash objects. I don't think any browsers can block those, unless a recent version of Opera or Thunderbird found a means of stopping them. Personally I use Opera through Proxomitron so I rarely see Flash ads in the first place.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 11:46:23 AM »
TMW what browser do you use? I use Firefox and never get a popup at PGC.

Offline TMW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 11:52:08 AM »
I use Firefox as well.  It blocks them for the most part, but occasionally one will come through.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 10:45:07 PM »
Opera allows you to enable plugins when you want to use them (F12) so when you watch a flash movie you can enable them for a moment.

For Firefox, use Flashblock. Not a single Flash will get through that without your permission.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
RE:Pop-ups are one thing...
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 07:39:54 AM »
Dear PGC,

I love your site and I understand you guys need to advertise to pay the bills.   But recently a very annoying ad pops up when I visit your site.  It is for Winfix.  I click 'x' to close it and what does it do?  It opens a new webpage.  I close that and another popup appears.  I close that.  And up pops another webpage again.  

This is absolutely and totally annoying.  It does this at virtually every step thru reading and replying to messages in your forums.  

This happens with Firefox.  IT has become so annoying I stopped visiting your site.  

I did find a workaround tho.  I switched to IE just for your site and the annoying ad doesn't appear.  But it's annoying to have to use this browser for only your site.

I know ad-aware and spybot detect winfix as spyware and supposedly delete it.  But it always comes back and its always linked to your site.  

PLease get rid of this extremely annoying advertisement.  

Thank you,

PGC fan.  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 10:23:04 AM »
Firefox + Adblock...

We've been over this...

I wish i still had my screen shots.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Pop-ups are one thing...
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 03:44:31 PM »

Originally posted by: trip1eX
But recently a very annoying ad pops up when I visit your site.  It is for Winfix.  I click 'x' to close it and what does it do?  It opens a new webpage.  I close that and another popup appears.  I close that.  And up pops another webpage again.  

FWIW, the winfix popups are flash based.  Install  one of the firefox extentions mentioned.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 06:35:41 PM »
Alright thanks for the tips.   Between the blockers and the 4 or 5 anti-spyware programs  I downloaded it disappeared.  NOt sure what ultimately did it in but so far so good.