Author Topic: Famitsu survey regarding next gen  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Famitsu survey regarding next gen
« on: June 13, 2005, 12:48:09 PM »
IGN has info on a survey conducted by Famitsu regarding the next gen.

From the article:
"Will you develop for each console?
Revolution
0.0% - We are already developing.
23.1% - We will develop.
17.9% - We will consider development.
10.3% - We will not develop.
48.7% - No opinion/unknown."

That 0.0% is pretty, um, not good.  Nintendo has said that they feel that the huge post-launch game drought on the Cube hurt them a lot.  In order to avoid that on the Rev third parties need to have dev kits sooner and these results suggest that Nintendo hasn't sent anything out yet.  Though Square Enix supposedly is working on something so I don't where they fit in here.  It's possible that due to NDA's and such that no one is allowed to confirm they're developing and they might fall into the no opinion/unknown category.

On the plus side 23.1% confirmed support is better than I was expecting.  I was seriously worried the Rev was going to get almost nothing since the Cube scared off most third parties.

One one hand only 10.3% not developing isn't TOO terrible but it's much higher than the other two consoles.  The Xbox 360 has NO developers that will not develop and it has a higher is developing/will develop percentage.  That's unacceptable.  The Xbox was a complete flop in Japan.  This survey predicts MS as last place in Japan for this gen.  Therefore the Xbox 360 should NOT have better Japanese third party support than the Rev.  Better Japanese support is one of the few advantages the Cube had over the Xbox.  That advantage must remain, no excuses.

Nintendo has to get those kits out NOW or we'll get a repeat of the Cube post-launch.  That killed the Cube and it would kill the Rev.  I think Nintendo has to stop being all "OMG DON'T STEAL MY IDEAS" and get that 23.1% working on games.

One thing I like though is this:
"Which next-generation console will be the market leader?
Consumers
PlayStation 3: 52.8%
Revolution: 29.9%
Xbox 360: 17.3%"

These numbers are for more pro-Rev than that of the devs or retailers.  Since consumers are ultimately who makes or breaks a console I'm happy to see that consumers are the most interested in the Rev.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Famitsu survey regarding next gen
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 01:56:09 PM »
Unfortunately, Nintendo is still tinkering around with the interface/controller, as per recent Miyamoto statements. The 0.0 % figure is alarming though, as I assumed that, given Nintendo's statement of promising SSBM for launch, and SquareEnix's statement of FF:CC 2, I was thinking more like...0.1% ? LOL.

Regardless, this implies that not many, if any, developers have even received the crude details they need to start preliminary development using PCs.

Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

RE: Famitsu survey regarding next gen
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 06:46:29 PM »
I bet a bulk of that "no opinion/unknown" 48 percent is from people that are developing for it and are just not making it public till Nintendo decides to give a green line for projects and info.  I find it hard to believe, not a single 3rd party is developing for Rev right now.  Cuase I beleave at least squareenix is, ea is and any other major publisher/developer.
"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 01:50:17 AM »
Yep, most likely NDAs. Most NDAs prevent you from saying "we're working on XY".

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 03:09:07 AM »
Yeah, that's what happens when you read something, see some numbers and fail to critically think about them.

And this poll means bupkis for two reasons.  They don't say which third parties they polled, and just because they answer in the affirnative for developing doesn't guarantee they will in the future.  The N64 had Square support in the begininng.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 09:16:25 PM »
The thing that I least believed was:

Will you develop for each console?

PlayStation 3
12.8% - We are already developing.
38.5% - We will develop.
2.6% - We will not develop.
28.2% - No opinion/unknown.

Revolution
0.0% - We are already developing.
23.1% - We will develop.
10.3% - We will not develop.
48.7% - No opinion/unknown.

Xbox 360
28.2% - We are already developing.
12.8% - We will develop.
15.4% - We will consider development.
0.0% - We will not develop.
43.6% - No opinion/unknown.

Not likely, especially because it's a Japanese magazine.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 11:42:44 PM »
Perhaps they are unsure of whether it might succeed and even though they likely won't they'll still reserve the chance that they'll develop for it should it succeed?

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 02:33:28 AM »
Basically all it says is that Japan is not going to buy 360, but they are going to buy REV.  All Nintendo has to do now is make a single game that kills 360 in America.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 04:38:00 AM »
Doesnt suprise me
Microsoft seem to be aiming at japan, esp. after the announcement that the 360 is launching there at xmas while europe has to wait till next easter.
I wonder how many company CEO will get money slipped in there pockets (which isnt uncommon esp since the mafia run the police there).