Author Topic: RSS Newsfeed  (Read 4582 times)

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RSS Newsfeed
« on: December 11, 2004, 11:29:04 PM »
Have you guys ever considered doing a RSS Newsfeed? I think it would be a great addition to the site, and could even help cut down bandwidth usage a tad. Just give it a thought if you could.

Offline Camel

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:RSS Newsfeed
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 07:18:02 AM »
I second this suggestion. How about a RSS feed?

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: RSS Newsfeed
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 01:01:52 PM »
Is this something that anyone else is interested in?
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 05:40:41 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but what's an RSS feed?  I'm probably just not familiar with the terminology.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 05:45:59 PM »
There you go Kingvudu.

If one was set up for the forums I'd very much appreciate it.  

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 05:55:30 PM »
Um...okay.  An example might clear things up a bit more.  Thanks for the effort, though.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 06:02:55 PM »
Ah, right. Well, if you're using, say, Firefox, and you subscribe to an RSS feed, then a sort of folder will appear in your bookmarks. The latest updates to the page you subscribed to will be recorded there, even if you haven't visited the site in a while. So instead of have to refresh the entire page every 10 minutes you could just check your bookmarks to see if antything new has been posted. I'm sure that's a very flawed technical explanation, but in practical terms it's correct. Orange buttons with the letters 'XML' in white also usually link to an RSS feed.

to your kitten avatar.

EDIT: If you're using Firefox and you go to a site like penny-arcade.com or slashdot.org, a new widget will appear near the bottom-right of the window. It should be in the same bit that displays what that browser's doing (e.g. connecting to 'penny-arcade.com', 'transferring data from penny-arcade.com', 'done'). There will be an icon inside of it, and when you click on it you can choose to subscribe to the RSS feed.

Opera also supports it natively, but you'll need to download something extra with IE.  

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 07:04:27 PM »
Wow.  That's pretty cool.

I'm not entirely sure how useful it is, or if I'd use it on a regular basis, but cool nonetheless.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 04:40:10 AM »
I dunno...  If revenue for the site is based off of hits I wouldn't do it...  I mean, I want you guys to keep plugging away and RSS feeds often just decrease hits....

But on the other hand, it would be pretty damn convenient...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 08:45:13 PM »
I'm doubt they're too fussed about us not seeing their advertisements. Especially if they're saving bandwidth at the same time. Quoth Rick:

Ads? What ads?

Firefox + Adblock = Bliss.

Offline ghostVi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 01:30:06 AM »
I found RSS to be very convenient for news sites. It might work with the forums also.

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 10:52:12 AM »
I'll add my support for an RSS feed. A headline+synopsis would suffice, it could mimick the front page and be useful enough for me.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 08:56:42 PM »
If it's convinient for the guys running the place to put one in I'm all for it.

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 11:25:40 AM »
Wow, I didn't even realize this thread was still alive....

In anycase, I'm still in favor for it.