Author Topic: A reason why the GBA isnt dead yet: Gunstar Super Heros  (Read 4227 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
A reason why the GBA isnt dead yet: Gunstar Super Heros
« on: April 20, 2005, 11:57:52 AM »
Well guys treasure is making Gunstar on GBA which is great hopefully it will be in the same calibur as the first gunstar which was on the genesis. Gamesarefun has some low res screens.  Sega is the publisher and obviously Treasure is the developer. Hmm it looks like that this is one of those rare good games that SEGA brought to us hopefully Sega starts giving us good games instead of crappy mediocre ones that they gave us lately.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: A reason why the GBA isnt dead yet: Gunstar Super Heros
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 12:31:13 PM »
I love Gunstar Heroes and if this turned out good I would buy it in a second.  Though I have some concerns.

First of all, although I have never played it, Advance Guardian Heroes got a fair bit of flack from fans for not being a worthy successor of the original.  Now that's one game but it was Treasure's first direct sequel to one of their franchises so I think there's reason for concern.  I want Gunstar Super Heroes to be a worthy sequel.

Second of all I'm concerned that current game trends may ruin the game because I see it all the time on the GBA.  A lot of the time a developer will make a classic arcade style game on the GBA easier to appeal more to the general public.  They also throw in unlimited continues and the ability to save anywhere and what's left is a two hour game that can be completed the first time you play it.  Then to stretch out game length they throw in useless collectable crap and force you to play through the game multiple times with different characters.

Gunstar Heroes wasn't designed like this.  It was designed to take several attempts to beat the game.  The game length and replay value came from the difficulty and the fact that you hard to start from the beginning each time.  The enjoyment came from improving your skills and getting a little bit further each time you played.  This is what most games at the time were designed like and Gunstar Heroes benefited from the trends of the day.  It would not benefit from the trends of today.

Though there is hope because Ikaruga, which was also developed by Treasure, got the classic formula right and didn't cater to modern trends.  It was a shmup for shmup fans.  Gunstar Super Heroes has to be a Gunstar Heroes game for Gunstar Heroes fans.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 12:36:19 PM »
When I saw the first scan it was seriously one of my most emotional times ever...Yes, I am a huge fan of the original...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline MrMojoRising

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:A reason why the GBA isnt dead yet: Gunstar Super Heros
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 01:33:49 PM »
I hope it's good and sells well so that maybe we could get some gunstar love on the DS so that we could have wireless multiplayer.  Co-op is the shiznit.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 01:44:06 PM »
YESH GUNSHTAR HEROSH
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Robotor

• The Robot Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 03:47:43 PM »
This makes me happy.  Gunstar heroes was awesome, and not in the new slang connotation of awesome.  I'm talking about awesome, truly awe inspiring.  I hope this turns out the same way.
It may be simple, but it ain't easy.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 05:29:07 PM »

Gunstar Heroes wasn't designed like this. It was designed to take several attempts to beat the game. The game length and replay value came from the difficulty and the fact that you hard to start from the beginning each time.

Sadly, that sort of game design is dated. Back when saving your game was considered a previalge, not a standard, it took some dedication (and a little luck) to go through most games. This is what forged most hardcore gamers today. Its something casual gamers, or gamers brought on Playstation/N64 probably won't understand. I feel like an old timer saying this...

As most people know, Treasure has a problem with consistency. Either they make a terrific game, or an average one. For every Ikaruga, there was Wario World. For Astro Boy, there was Advance Guardian Heroes. I sadly missed the Guardian Heroes phenomenon, but I have fond memories of Gunstar Heroes. They better not %$#! this up. I'll shake my dusty Genesis controller in anger
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 06:41:55 PM »
"Sadly, that sort of game design is dated."

Not dated.  Perceived as dated by the ignorant.  Dated design is cheap games where your character dies because their elbow makes contact with an enemy's ear off a poorly timed jump and half the difficulty is fighting with the limitations of the games.  Dated is having enemies drop on you but not having the ability to shoot up.  There are classic games that are dated but Gunstar Heroes is not one of them.  If it's dated them all of 2D is dated and only a complete dolt would argue that.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 09:28:01 PM »
Astro Boy managed to have save slots and be friggin hard, so this game could be hard/good.  But yeah, Treasure really is hit-or-miss.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 07:54:29 PM »
More hit than miss than tho.

I havent played the original Gunstar Heroes, but I can say Im mega-excited for this new one. For one, the excitement of fans like many of you is papable...so I KNOW its a big deal.
Secondly, I loved Astro Boy as well as many of Treasure's games over the years.

This is, I beleive, their fourth effort on GBA hardware...Im excited to see what tricks they can pull out of their programming hats...and more importantly, what bosses ^ ^

Offline Mr. Segali

• PAY YOUR RENT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 01:11:10 AM »
As long as Seven Force makes a comeback I'll be a happy camper.

Slightly offtopic: Has anyone played Alien Soldier? It's another Treasure game that didn't get the attention it deserved. It played pretty much like Gunstar  on crack. It was boss after boss after boss (Seven Force being one of them). Me being the boss-whore I am, I thought it was a freaking masterpiece.
Imported Super Princess Peach

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 09:25:30 AM »
Why not just not use the unlimited continues they provide?  I might check this one out, there are actually plenty of GBA games I still want to play.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 10:55:13 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Segali
As long as Seven Force makes a comeback I'll be a happy camper.

Seven Force is dead, dead, dead...  But it WOULD be nice to see Green make a return somehow...Or someone like him...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 08:53:32 AM »
Bill: Oh, come on! You remember how many times various Megaman characters die?

Offline amodaus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 08:15:55 PM »
Gunstar heros was good, much better than contra

but Metal Slug was way better the gunstar, not to mention more brutal

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 01:00:17 AM »
i bought advanced guardian heroes some time ago and barely started playing it, the only bad thing i have noticed is that it can get very laggy when there is multiple enemies everywhere or you are using your biggest power up attacks, otherwise i am totally addicted to the game, its so god damn fun.  does anyone know when gunstar heroes release date?  i want, i want it so bad!