Author Topic: ADVANCED WARS................  (Read 3333 times)

Offline THE ONE

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
ADVANCED WARS................
« on: April 21, 2003, 03:27:34 PM »
      I just seen Advanced wars for 20 dollars at sam goody but i don't know if its worth it. Ive read on the internet that its a good game but none of the reviews really tell what its about. can anybody tell me whats it about and how it plays and how does the link it up mode works. I know its pretty cheap but i need some better information from people who might have played it before or own it.
OHH MY GOD AHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHH NOOO AHHHHHHHHHH HELPPPPPPPPPPP AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 04:33:37 PM »
First of all, it's ADVANCE WARS, not Advanced Wars.

It's a Strategy RPG along the lines of Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Shining Force 2, or Fire Emblem.  It's set in a modern time period, but in a fantasy world.  Units include fighters, bombers, tanks, infantry, etc.  The story is not very deep, but the gameplay is quite challenging, and the branching level design allows for a great amount of replay value.  It's a very good game, and I would definately advise getting it.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 08:22:13 PM »
i got it and Zelda WW at the same time and found myself playing it much more then WW.

one warning, if you do not like chess or strategy games, then do not get it. if you like to think then it's great!!! i have been searching for other games  similar to it and have had no luck yet.

Offline Dr. Feelgood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 12:55:24 AM »
Hi!

It's more like Battle Isle...ever heard of it? Round based strategical by BlueByte.  

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 01:06:57 PM »
that game is the reason my gba gets considerable playing time
it is so good- one of the best strategy games you can buy
i highly suggest it
it is a turnbased game like final fantasy tactics or even tactics ogre (both great games)
i call the big one bitey.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
RE:ADVANCED WARS................
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 01:49:24 AM »
advance wars and fire emblem are the sole reason my gba battery dies, seriously both games have huge replay value, ive beaten the campaign mode on the HARD mode i almost can say i know what each level will be and the easiest ways to beat it.

note: thank god the gba sp has a rechargeable battery, and thank god for 3rd party gba battery packs!

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: ADVANCED WARS................
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 01:51:06 AM »
What the hell?  Quit bumping old threads.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 05:56:50 AM »
Heh, I haven't even beaten the first mission vs. Storm. Just tried again, no way I can stop that onslaught without using nukes or something like that. Absolutely frustrating game, never mind you've seen everything after the first few missions.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 12:20:18 PM »
KDR, try falling back on Mech rushing, they are incredible units in terms of offense vs the cost, and then bulk up on the heavier hitters when your cash flow permits.

Anyway, Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2 are easily the two best games on the GBA.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 04:06:48 AM »
Argh, rushing without multiselection doesn't sound like fun...

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 11:03:40 AM »
I still play AW2. It's in my SP right now. I eagerly look forward to playing AW on the DS with some wireless linking :3

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 01:49:52 PM »
I just started playing Advance Wars a bit recently too, and am completely absorbed in Fire Emblem, anticipating the next two.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 10:47:00 PM »
So the next Fire Emblem comes out in the States on my very birthday...

Thanks Nintendo!! ^ ^

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 09:52:12 AM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R
I still play AW2. It's in my SP right now. I eagerly look forward to playing AW on the DS with some wireless linking :3

Mine is living in my DS in the GBA slot right now, and has been there since I picked it up. Not sure what I'm going to do when the DS version comes out, though...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 06:55:18 AM »
Advance Wars is the closest gaming gets to utter perfection, that's why the sequel was critisized for being little new. It's hard to improve or change perfection.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005, 01:39:11 PM »
cant wait for the new ds one
hopefully u can create a logo for your team or something creative with the stylus

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 05:09:58 AM »
The original Advance Wars wasn't that close to perfection. Max was over powered in most situations and Sonja was mostly useless (Still is).

AW2 did come out a little too quick but it is the only squal I have brought this generation and boy was it good. The CO powers are evened up more. The two tiered power allows for more tactical flexiblity although the super powers are devastating. The Neo tank makes an excellent deadlock breaker, although never cheap. The addition of Black Cannons do throw in a spanner in your war plans dicating when and when not to move your units. The singleplayer campane has improved leaps and bounds and has double the impact with hard mode which will push you on those FOW maps hard. One shot mini nukes will turn the tide of any battle. Larger CO line up. Music gallery.

The AI has been improved. It doesn't chase apcs and is great at forming defesive lines with Artillery and Tank units which take more than firepower to open up. But it CO power use is still a wee bit random, but that is expecting the computer to play like a human to see the keyhole moment to power up. It is possible to block an AI advance with very few units with out losess, Market Garden style.

AW2 is a must for any handheld gamer. Although you can go back and play AW1, it doesn't quite match up on all departments. AW2 is a worthy squeal.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 07:02:18 AM »
Personally, I thought the first Advance Wars was a lot more balanced than Advance Wars 2. Hawk and Strum are obvious top tier COs in the second game, while Sensei and Grit are incredibly powerful as well.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 07:32:16 AM »
The original was close to perfection. The grpahics did their job, the sound was non offensive, the gameplay was perfectly balanced (negating COs) and allowed for plenty of tactics. It had more maps and missions than anyone could ever hope to complete and complimented by a full featured multiplayer mode. There isn't much more you really need.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.