Author Topic: A thread for people who have actually PLAYED the PSP...  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
A thread for people who have actually PLAYED the PSP...
« on: January 26, 2005, 01:56:22 PM »
I know some people have already played this thing, so how does it really play? People make this thing sound like it can walk on water, Steven Kent even said that the PSP "is something like nothing before it". But what do you think of it compared to the DS?

P.S. Sorry if this is off topic or spam... I seem to have alot of topics in this catagory of the forums.
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline PJ gamer10

• View Profile
RE: A thread for people who have actually PLAYED the PSP...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 03:03:53 PM »
The PSP was pretty nice looking. The first thing you will notice is the screen. It really is a great looking sharp screen and makes the DS screens look inferior. The controls feel a bit tight with the buttons. The analog nub is actually confortable but I think in time, with abuse it will break off. For me it doesn't offer anything new as far as games is ocncerned, but if your a graphics whore and love to get the latest techonology, you probably couldn't pass it up. If theres anything else you would like to know just ask. I didn't have much time to really give a good impression of it.  
I make the impossible.........possible.
Xboxlive gamertag: Evil Twin76

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 03:26:18 PM »

The PSP was pretty nice looking. The first thing you will notice is the screen. It really is a great looking sharp screen and makes the DS screens look inferior. The controls feel a bit tight with the buttons. The analog nub is actually confortable but I think in time, with abuse it will break off. For me it doesn't offer anything new as far as games is ocncerned, but if your a graphics whore and love to get the latest techonology, you probably couldn't pass it up. If theres anything else you would like to know just ask. I didn't have much time to really give a good impression of it.

Yay, thank you!

1. How did you get a chance to play it?

2. Is the screen really that alluring? People make it sound like the screen just makes people want to have it asap. they make it sound "God-like".

So... is the screen really that "God-like"?
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
RE:A thread for people who have actually PLAYED the PSP...
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 04:18:54 PM »
PSP. It looks awesome I must say. If you want to get a good feeling of what the big screen feels like, let me put it this way:

It's like having a widescreen tv in your home but nothing to watch on it. Everything on it right now is utterly boring or I feel like I've played before.  

Offline Xavya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 04:33:15 PM »
Ive played the PSP several time before, my friend was in Japan at the time of the launch and he has the golf game, ridge racer, and MGS AC!D. The screen is actually very very nice, it gets scratched like a mother though. My friend keeps his PSP in a sock, no joke. And it still has scratches on it. I believe someone mentioned the poor selection of games on the PSP and that is quite true, the only game i semi enjoyed is AC!D. The PSP's start up menu itself isnt bad, but i found it confusing my first few plays. The system itself feels nice but the buttons seem hard, and my friends square button makes a little sqeaky sound lol. The analog stick has to be the most overrated feature though, its small and moves like 1 cm in all directions, hardly analog at all if you ask me. Overall the analog feels very restricted. Also the slot were you insert UMDs, feels extremely cheap. Use caution when inserting and taking out games, i feel like i could bite the UMD slot off with my teeth. Also I wasnt to fond of the start and select and music buttons(or atleast i think thats what they were, honestly im not sure) right below the screen. Theyre very small i found them akward to reach at times. Cant comment on battery time, never played it that long. Not sure on using memory sticks with it too, my friend easily got pictures on it but expressed some difficulty with getting MP3s and videos on it, im not sure what the problem was though, so dont take that to heart. Overall the PSP is honestly a decent system, more powerful then the DS and has more functions. But the DS has a larger game library, more innovative controls, better games. Yes i said better games, for those who complained about DS launch titles, you havent seen the PSP ones. lol thanks for your time guys.
UMmmmmmm HI!

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 05:44:19 PM »
The screen is godly.
And it's very comfy and not too large.
Everything smudges up easily.
Graphics in Ridge Racers nice as heck.
Very well designed interface... you can tell Sony sticks to conventions unlike Nintendo, who put in a feature that other companies would've made standard years ago and then brags about it.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 04:08:11 AM »
The PSP is nice, but its not some orgasming experiance people would have you to beleive.  It really only has two games out for it right now that you can't play on a console somewhere, and play it better.  The analog nub is a joke, and the screens brightness settings are rediculous.  The thing was just made to eat its own battery.  The mp3 playback is okay, the quality is good for the most part. you can tell that it was made to use atrack.  The movie playback is good.  beleive it or not this system feels more rushed than the DS.  I see myself selling this thing on ebay in a few weeks.  It really isn't all that I expected.  That just comes down to the fact that its a console instead of a handheld system, and all of the games are made that way.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 11:12:52 AM »

Very well designed interface... you can tell Sony sticks to conventions unlike Nintendo, who put in a feature that other companies would've made standard years ago and then brags about it.

What?  Elaborate please.

I'm curious about your word choice.  "Would've" is a contraction of "would have," as in, they didn't.  So Nintendo then did.  Why can't they brag about it?  Is it even safe to assume that you're (you + are) talking about the touch screen?    
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline PJ gamer10

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 02:07:09 PM »
Xavya, you said all the thoughts I forgot to say. We both feel the exact same way about the PSP. I do think though Lumines is th ebest game for the system and will be a title that I might pick the system up for. Yes the screen really is that "sexy" as others in the industry have liked to describe it as. A guy from the other video game store in my mall imported one and brought it up to my store. I got to see Ridge Racer. Yeah its real impressive looking but aside from the Lumines, there isn't much im looking foward to. It does feel fragile. The system might have been rushed but when people see it, there's no doubt in my mind it will sell big.  I do think it would be a lot cooler if it had a touch screen.  
I make the impossible.........possible.
Xboxlive gamertag: Evil Twin76

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 10:50:41 AM »
Oh hello there.  

This took me like months to figure out stop throwing garbage at me, but isn't the PSP's analog nub the same thing as the DS's thumbs nub + touch screen, only with more restrictions? The thing doesn't tilt, it just slides around the surface, which sounds pretty darn similar to the DS's analog control.  Xavya said it only moves about 1 cm in each direction, which would be big enough if it tilted, but since it's on a flat surface some games may need to have VERY sensitive control to make up for the small range of motion that the nub makes.  Add in the fact that it's in a position that looks very uncomfortable and that it could possibly break off, it looks like we've got something just added on just for bragging rights.

Am I right or am I left?  I could be completely left, so if I am then tell me >_>  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 04:45:44 PM »
I believe the PSP analog nub is the equivalent to one of those analog nubs that some laptop keyboards have inbetween two keys.  

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 04:48:51 PM »
I've played the PSP and color me meh.  Screen = nice.  Games= snore.  Graphics=good.  Sound=Ok. Overall=bleh
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates