Author Topic: Namco Acquires Videogame Rights To Gumby  (Read 1910 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Namco Acquires Videogame Rights To Gumby
« on: January 27, 2005, 04:48:46 PM »
Gumby, Pokey and pals are coming soon to a screen near you.

GUMBY AND FRIENDS TO MAKE VIDEO GAME DEBUT

Namco Hometek Inc. Awarded Exclusive Video Game Publishing Rights To The Beloved Gumby Property

Santa Clara, Calif., (January 27, 2005) ­ Global video games publisher, Namco Hometek Inc. announced today that Prema Toy Co., Inc. has awarded Namco the exclusive interactive entertainment publishing rights to the classic children¹s entertainment property, Gumby.  The deal allows Namco to create video games for all game systems, featuring Gumby and all related characters, such as Pokey, Prickle, Goo and the infamous Blockheads.  Namco also has the unique opportunity for Gumby to make cameo appearances in other upcoming Namco games.

"Gumby and his friends have delighted generations of kids and adults on the small screen and through traditional toys," said Jeff Lujan, Business Director, Namco Hometek Inc.  "It's time these beloved characters make their debut in the interactive entertainment world, and we are very pleased that the creators of this wonderful property have entrusted Namco with this opportunity."

Film producer and director, Art Clokey, created the Gumby characters 50 years ago when his adventurous clay boy and his friends began starring in their own television show and went on to become a top-selling poseable doll line.  Entertaining families for decades, the clay-animated adventures of Gumby have been released on home video and DVD, and the Gumby toy line is still a perennial favorite among kids and parents. Gumby celebrates his 50th anniversary this year.

"Our family is very excited to see Gumby make his debut in the interactive world," said Gumby creator, Art Clokey. "With Pac-Man and its other hugely successful video game franchises, Namco has proven that they are a leader in this medium and we are thrilled to be working with them on bringing Gumby to life for the video game generation."

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Namco Acquires Videogame Rights To Gumby
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 04:19:04 AM »
*does the happy dance in a vain attempt to hide the bumping of this thread*

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Namco Acquires Videogame Rights To Gumby
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 04:50:13 PM »
Hmmm.......what?

Gumby was popular years ago.  Gumby would have been better suited to be released as a terrible side-scrolling SNES game.  But now?  Only the odd 50 year old substitute teacher who still plays games would want this.  And then he'd complain about the lack of Underdog or Topcat videogames.

What?

I'm not being fair.  This'll be a good gift for parents to give children because they recognize it and they know what to expect.  Or something.  Or he won't get his own game and he'll just cameo in a couple of others.  I actually see Gumby more as a skater in the next Tony Hawk game.

He's up and at 'em, he's Atom Ant!  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 06:00:37 PM »
If you're lucky, KN, your parents will give this to you as a replacement for not letting you have RE4.    

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 10:44:28 AM »
It's the only way I'll forgive them.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa