Author Topic: Editorial: Playing By Party Lines  (Read 21988 times)

Offline the offical jim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Editorial: Playing By Party Lines
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2005, 04:32:43 PM »
Ok this is an interesting topic.

Response to the “The amount of girl gamers is growing.”

Well of coarse it’s growing as long as the population is. I think the way gaming companies have started making more mature titles has driven girls away from games. And the fact that games are starting to get more complicated. Not that girls aren’t capable of them.

My sister always plays as a girl in games. If I ever play her it’s either Timespliters 2 or Red fraction 2. She doesn’t like it when I kill her so we play on a team.

The Next Super Powerful Girl Game:

Well if a game is directed towards girls they make it clear by putting colors that appeal to girls as well as girls from popular girl shows.

Now if there where to be one of these girl games... What would you want them to be like?

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: Editorial: Playing By Party Lines
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2005, 06:29:32 PM »
I just wanted to throw in that I play as ZELDA in SSBM, and  not Sheik.  Zelda is slow, but she has some powerful moves like her air kick and throw.  That seems to go against that "quick but weak" statement for girl fighting characters.

And yes, Daisy rocks Mario Power Tennis.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2005, 09:36:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Avinash_Tyagi
Actually she does, and you can see it in her gait as she walks, that's part of my point.

And as I said before you can't use SSB as a guideline...The two were separated to give them each a distinct feel...As Sheik does not have the "ninja pose walk thingie" in OoT, you cannot use this as part of your argument...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2005, 03:03:55 AM »
Welcome to Super Off-Topic World DS.

I use SSBM as part of my argument since I believe its 3D models are detailed re-presented versions of Nintendo characters in some of their classic forms, with Ocarina of Time's characters as our current focus.  So, the way SSBM presents Zelda and Sheik is the way I believe Ocarina of Time intended to show us, and the ol' hand-drawn character art can support this.  I can let it slide that Sheik doesn't have to be a 100% man, that is, he/she/it/Birdo might as well lack the "Master Sword" and "Deku Nuts" of sorts, which can explain the female-like voicing.  But, I still believe Princess Zelda does undergo a magickal transformation thanks to the power of the Triumph Spork of Wisdom and Witness Protection, to yield a more "manly" upper-body and developed biceps.  Again, refer to SSBM's (trophy #2 for each character) character models.

Even if we DISREGARD Super Smash Bros. Melee, Princess Zelda's behavior between the two THE GANNON battles cannot be ignored.  As Sheik, she seemed much more jumpy and acrobatic, falling from the sky, chilling in high places, jumping off high places.  As TEH Purinsesu Zeruda, she portrayed the simple, helpless, slow, immovable-object we been accustomed to defend.  YET SHE SIMPLY POWER-WALKS WHILE THE GANNON'S FORTRESS WAS CRUMBLING.  What in Zephos' name happened to her ninja-like (REAL ULTIMATE POWER!) reflexes?  Was she hindered by her Royal Hylian footwear?  And what's with the OH MY ZEPHOS I'M TRAPPED IN A WALL OF FIRE please rescue me Xandir! situations.  AREN'T YOU LIKE THE SAGE OF TIME OR SOMETHING I SAW YOU MAKE YOUR OWN DAMN WALL OF FIRE BACK IN FRONT OF FIRE TEMPLE SEVERAL SAVES AGO AFTER YOU TOUGHT ME THAT ROCKIN' OCARINA MELODY THIS SHOULD BE CHEESECAKE FOR YOU!

It's as if Zelda's attitude and athleticism changes *with her body.*

And no, your little DragonBall moment after the final FINAL battle doesn't count for anything.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2005, 05:02:48 AM »
I think as Sheik she channels her magic into increasing her speed and jumping abilities and changing her appearance, as a result she can't cast spells because her magic is being used elsewhere, while as Zelda however, her magic is free to be used in spells but as a result she loses the extra speed.  

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2005, 08:28:07 AM »
She can't move quickly as Zelda because of the long freaking dress and all the underlying accoutrements.  Duh!
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2005, 08:30:01 AM »
No seriously, I think she just plays helpless to boost Link's ego.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2005, 01:41:52 AM »
Well, um er, I know it's a different Zelda, but the swashbuckling princess/pirate in Wind Waker seemed to do well for herself (and she's no slouch as a princess at the end, either)
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Kaboth

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2005, 12:47:54 AM »

Almost as scarce as female gamers are legitimate female characters. Sure, you'll find at least one girl in every Nintendo game, but, like the girl who claims to be a gamer but really only plays PC puzzle games, they're usually pretty weak

How about Joanna Dark? She was certainly a strong, smart female lead. Her dress sense was generally appropriate to the situation as well; waiter discuises, combat fatigues, trench coats, scuba gear etc. She seemed to show genuine emotion complete with Bond style glib remarks. Though you could argue Dr Carrol acted more human. She didn't make sexual remarks nor overly flaunt her sexuality excusing of course the promotional material. Her hair was cut realistically short too. Joanna may be the most credible female lead in a game ever.

As for Samus, when I first heard about Metroid I thought the powersuit was Metroid which was a sort of robot/mech thing. I didn't realise untill I played the games that a human is inside the powersuit least of all a woman. Samus has no humanity at all, I'm sure any psciatrist who saw a woman blowing up entire space pirate bases without any emotion diagnose the patient was totally insane  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2005, 10:12:07 AM »
Actually, Samus does have a hint of humanity.  It's usually subtle, but it's there.  Fusion, from what I've seen, provides most of it, but some tidbits are in Prime and Prime 2.  In part of Zero Mission she's not in her suit, but that doesn't really change anything in terms of personality.
So no, she's not exactly the epitome of heroine, but she sometimes shows sentiment.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2005, 10:43:11 AM »
Oh you are completely wrong, Kaboth...Try finishing MP2 before you make assumptions... ^_^

But you can hardly expect to see much emotion from someone who is fighting hostile lifeforms that want her dead...

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2005, 11:07:55 AM »
Seriously, it's not like Link or Mario are exactly brimming with personality and inner-conflicts either.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Kaboth

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2005, 01:33:10 PM »
Oh comon Mario is a character for kids he isn't supposed to have any inner-conflicts. Link is assumed to say stuff inbetween interactions with NPCs but again his games aren't to serious or real.

I'm up to Emperor Ing in MP2 and yes Samus appeared quite emotional about the dead federation troopers and that was all quite good but it really irked me when U-mos would give you some instructions and Samus didn't really respond in any manner verbal or non-verbal. U-mos himself was completely devoid of personality also. Still its a great game and I love it.    

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2005, 03:48:23 PM »
"Mario is a character for kids"

*gag*
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Kaboth

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2005, 11:32:19 AM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
"Mario is a character for kids"

*gag*

Well he is, Thats who he was designed for. Doesn't mean adults such as myself can't enjoy playing his games though especially when the challenge of his most recent ones seems more aimed at adults.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2005, 11:49:39 AM »
Samus didn't really respond in any manner verbal or non-verbal.

I'm thankful for this...Samus is much like Link, in that the gamer is supposed to play the one behind the mask...It would take away from that immersion otherwise...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2005, 02:21:47 PM »

Well he is, Thats who he was designed for. Doesn't mean adults such as myself can't enjoy playing his games though especially when the challenge of his most recent ones seems more aimed at adults.

Alright, forgiven.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2005, 05:46:32 AM »
Mario wasn't designed as a character for anyone, he was designed as a character that can be 20 pixels high and consist of four colors and still be recognizeable. At least that's what Miyamoto said and I tend to think he knows best why he made up Mario like that.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2005, 02:00:02 PM »
Miyamoto actually said that?  That is great!  A quote would be awesome if you wouldn't mind indulging me.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2005, 02:30:05 PM »
I tried to find it, but couldn't, though I do remember seeing it...

Mario has overalls so the gamer could tell the arms were apart from the character's body (2-tone character model differentiates)...
Mario has a hat so the gamer wouldn't wonder why the character's hair didn't move while he ran...
Mario has a mustache so the gamer could tell the character had a mouth...

End...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2005, 04:58:02 AM »
It was in the first part of NoE's "Mario Diaries", for example.