Author Topic: Nintendo really puzzles me  (Read 9162 times)

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo really puzzles me
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2004, 09:43:41 PM »

Im not sure why metroid needs two carts to play multiplayer.

I'm guessing that this is only on the demo version.  The demo comes free with the DS, so whoever bought the system will have it.  Unlike Mario 64 DS, everyone will have the Metroid game, therefore making downloading unnecessary.

I think that the full version of the game will have both single and multi-cart features.  That way people can download the maps if they don't have the game, or just start playing for those who do.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2004, 06:32:55 AM »
>Yeah thats the system bios. I know in regular computers you cant add any type of additional programs to it

Actually, I suspect we'll be finding out that it's not the "BIOS", so to speak, but "Firmware" - Software that is written within the hardware.  And Firmware can be upgrated - if it was initially designed with that in mind.

A system "BIOS", if I'm correct, is also a type of Firmware.  In fact, an older computer I had actually had a BIOS upgrade come out shortly before Y2K to upgrade it so it would be Y2K Compliant.

So it's entierly feasible that NoA could release updates in the future (Via NiFi, WiFi or cartridges/cards that upgrade when they're played for the first time).

The thing that would make all of this interesting is to see what "hackers" could do to your system...  Just think, someone is downloading what they think is an illegal ROM of Mario's latest adventure, they start up their DS and *blammo* - a $150 paper weight.  And, of course, Nintendo wouldn't fix it....
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo really puzzles me
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2004, 02:25:56 AM »
Reading some reviews, I think the auto-detect will only work if you put the unit to sleep in Chat Mode. And if someone near by enters your chat room, it will "wake up"

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2004, 02:58:21 AM »
If you put it to sleep in chat mode, it exits out of the chat room - when you wake it up, you have to tell it to resume communications...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline foolish03

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo really puzzles me
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2004, 02:52:23 AM »
Yeah I think they pulled the auto detect feature from the stateside sytems.
"If you can read these letters, Your waisting your time..."
---------------------------------------

Offline AGENTDICKLAURENT

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2004, 04:56:42 AM »
Err.. I didn't read all the posts -- but a firmware upgrade would just be applied by flashing the rom. You don't need to 'store' it anywhere external. As you boot up -- where do you think the "operating system" comes from?