Author Topic: Nintendo Stock Vs. Sony Stock  (Read 4856 times)

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo Stock Vs. Sony Stock
« on: June 27, 2004, 07:52:11 PM »

I really hope having a topic like this is ok...

well, I'm taking an econ class over the summer this year and I began to wonder which of these two giants had better stock. So, like a good little capitalist american, I compared them on the tokyo stock exchange. What I found confused me...the TSE says that nintendo stock is UP while sony has no change (overall that is) for the past year. Another thing that confused me is that sony stock is worth around $35 whereas nintendo stock transfers to about $100-something. This is obviously because sony has many many many more stock available than nintendo...but I'm wondering which is worth more.

here's the links:

http://quote.tse.or.jp/tse/qsearch.exe?F=listing%2FEcslist&MAXDISP=25&KEY1=sony

http://quote.tse.or.jp/tse/qsearch.exe?F=listing%2FEcslist&KEY1=nintendo

can someone help me out on figuring this out? if you click on the names of the companies, you get additional info...and what I see is that nintendo stock has gone..UP??? what have those media financial giants been telling us!!

*btw, if this thread is against the rules or something...many pardons...*
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
RE: Nintendo Stock Vs. Sony Stock
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 04:32:20 AM »
If you are in econ then do some ratios for us then.  I would like to see a P/E ratio, debt to equity ratio, and all of em that are somewhere mentioned in your text book.  Stock price is simply a reflection of future cash flows discounted to today, and therefore is only half of the story.  Do the ratios, post 'em here and we can analyze them together.  I'll get my finance book out...
Wii:  0279 2707 3253 3306

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Stock Vs. Sony Stock
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 05:32:03 AM »
The majority of Sony's products lose money.  The only real thing that has kept them profitable has been the playstation brand.

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 06:46:43 AM »
I don't believe that!  All there camcorders, TV's, telephones, blank media....  This stuff is all cash cow stuff, they have a lot of market share in all aspects of the consumer electronics market.  Where did you find this information?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 10:19:46 AM »
Sony has been in financial trouble for a long time now...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 10:48:11 AM »
They have?  Well that sucks.  I personally like their home electronics.  Oh well, maybe I was brainwashed anyway...at least I never owned a PS1/PS2.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 11:05:41 AM »
Where do you get that?

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 11:55:33 AM »

I can't recall very well, but I remember hearing that sony was starting to hurt financialy right after the FF movie came out. Hmm...I don't have a link, but I've heard several times that Sony's financial situationw as fishy...

anywhos, u wanted ratios? look, I'm an econ student, not an econ major. In any case...

Nintendo
121.862  USD
35,800 shares

= 4,362,659.60 USD

Sony
37.8101 USD
1,481,600 shares

= 56,019,444.16 USD

And this is common stock, mind you...

I've come to a conclusion though that this really doesn't tell me anything at all. Nintendo is obviously limiting their stock disallowing too many people from owning their company which means the stock they do put out is worth a lot more than Sony's. In any case, we know that they're both worth much more than 56 million. I'm just curious to know how much each company is really worth...

a side note: nintendo stock has a net change +2.89% whereas sony has a change of -.24%

so those of you who have been speculating were right. look at some of the charts on the sites i posted and you can see that sony hasn't been doing THAT great as of late...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 07:12:38 PM »
I heard Sony was hurting financially right when the PS1 came out, and then every other part of their company was doing bad $, especially their music division, and the PS1 was the only thing that was making them decent profit.

Offline LUEshi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 11:11:41 AM »
Sony is worth way more than nintendo.
Life, Universe, and Everything.