Author Topic: How I learned to stop hating and start linking!  (Read 1926 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
How I learned to stop hating and start linking!
« on: November 26, 2006, 07:01:09 AM »
Howdy folks!

As you may recall, I've had some bad feelings about Nintendo, the GameBoys and the linking of them...  but now I've gotten it all taken care of!

First, there was the inability to link four GBAs together for 4-Player GB Classic games.  Long story short, because the only way to play Classic GameBoy games in 4-Player mode is to use the official Nintendo 4-Player adapter.  Unfortunatly, the end of this adapter has an older, fatter link port on it that simply won't plug into a GBA unit.  This was solved by cutting off the older, fatter cable and putting on a GBA link.  Yay!  Now I can link four GBAs together for F-1 Racing!

Nest up was the micro's inability to link to just about anything.  Basically, the entire design of the GameBoy micro's link cables made it impossible to link to the GameBoy Player and if you wanted to link it to other GameBoy Advance units, you had to go out and buy additional GameBoy micro link cables *and* adapters for each of the GBA units you wanted to link - unable to use the existing GBA link cables that I already had four or five of.  Solution?  Take half of a (generic) GameBoy micro link cable and attach it to the purple half of a GameBoy Advance Link Cable!  With this cable, I can plug my micro into a GameBoy Player or into the little box on the official GameBoy Advance Link Cables! Woot!

And who do I have to thank for all of this?  The awesomly cool guy who created the GameBoy micro-GameCube cable, Troz!  I didn't really do anything aside from send him the supplies and some copies of F-1 Race to test with (and a copy of Chibi Robo for the GCN for his time) - he did all the real work!

But now, all my linking problems are solved!  Well, except for that entire linking my systems to my TiVo thing...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:How I learned to stop hating and start linking!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 06:22:11 AM »
This thread would have been much cooler if it were named Troz:  Or, How I Learned To Stop Hating and Love Link Cables.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: How I learned to stop hating and start linking!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 07:14:30 AM »
I thought it was going to be about citing sources when battling forum trolls.

Good news!  Frankly I have nobody to play against, so this has never bothered me, but it's nice someone else cared about the problem.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
RE:How I learned to stop hating and start linking!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 11:53:23 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I thought it was going to be about citing sources when battling forum trolls.

Good news!  Frankly I have nobody to play against, so this has never bothered me, but it's nice someone else cared about the problem.

I never said I had someone to play against...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 12:56:05 PM »
You completionist... *hides cords*
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 06:10:28 PM »
So who wants to come over and play F-1 Race?  I just need three other players...

... you don't even have to bring your own GameBoy, you can use one of mine... I might have one or two lying around here...

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 05:17:40 AM »
How 'bout some FACEBALL?
GOREGASM!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 05:50:47 AM »
That is my dream.

15 cheapass copies of Faceball to go...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
did you achieve your dream?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post