Author Topic: [b] Who named this guy Master Higgins?[/b]  (Read 3341 times)

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
[b] Who named this guy Master Higgins?[/b]
« on: January 16, 2004, 04:44:24 PM »
Who named this guy Master Higgins?

Review by Mike Sklens

Originally released on the NES way back in 1986, Hudson’s Adventure Island has long been considered a classic by gamers. Now, Hudson has remade the game as a part of their Hudson Selection series. The game has been updated with 3D graphics, yet it still maintains its original gameplay.

Adventure Island stars Master Higgins, who is trying to rescue the beautiful princess. In order to do so, he must fight through eight worlds full of peril and take down a boss at the end of each. What makes Adventure Island so challenging is that Master Higgins must eat fruit to refill his constantly-decreasing health bar. Higgins journeys through side-scrolling levels filled with all sorts of enemies blocking his path. He also has to contend with a lot of pits that need jumping over. Scattered throughout the levels are eggs (many of which are secret) that contain power-ups to aid him on his quest. There are quite a few weapons available, including axes, spears, boomerangs, and the almighty fireball. There’s also the skateboard for Higgins to ride, which is quite an oddball item considering it’s found in an egg on an island (remember though, this game is from the 80’s).

Though there are tons of enemies, Master Higgins hunger is easily the worst of the bunch. Higgins’ health is always dropping, and he must eat a never-ending supply of fruit to keep it up. On top of this, fruit is only on-screen for a brief amount of time. If Higgins doesn’t act fast, it will disappear. The health meter, coupled with the fact that the baddies deal a hefty amount of damage, makes Adventure Island a very difficult game. Thankfully, Hudson has realized this and included an easier mode in which the health meter does not constantly drain. This mode also removes the devastating eggplant “power-up,” which can spell certain doom by draining Higgins’ health even faster for a short period of time.

Adventure Island sticks to the classic platform formula; the hero must complete four levels per world and then square-off against a boss monster. The bosses scale in difficulty, of course. All of them are challenging, but can be easily taken out once their attack patterns are learned.

This remake, obviously, looks much better than its NES counterpart. However, compared to other GameCube games, it is still lacking in the graphics department. The polygon counts are relatively low, and the textures could be greatly improved, as they are often blurry and sometimes pixelated. The sound has also been upgraded from the original. The songs are the same, but now have a much fuller sound thanks to the GameCube. They are very catchy and indicative of many old school games.

Adventure Island is a fun romp through yesteryear. Fans of the original will have a grand old time remembering this classic title. It’s also great for any fan of old school side-scrollers in general. The challenge level is right up there and can also be toned down if you’re having too much trouble. At a budget price of about $33 from Video Game Depot, Adventure Island would fit nicely in any old-schooler’s library.

Pros:
  • Easier difficulty option
  • Rockin’ old school music

Cons:
  • The graphics still look crummy, compared to other GCN games.
  • It’s pretty short.

Graphics: 4.0
    This remake looks a hell of a lot better than its NES counterpart, but that’s not saying much. The characters are fairly bland and lacking detail, and the textures are often blurry or pixelated.

Sound: 6.0
    The catchy Adventure Island soundtrack has been redone with the GameCube’s enhanced audio. The classic tunes remain, but now have a fuller sound.

Control: 8.0
    The movement and jumping are spot on, which is very important for a game that often requires pin-point accuracy like Adventure Island.

Gameplay: 7.0
    The challenging platforming gameplay returns in this remake. You’ll be dodging all sorts of stuff and taking out enemies left and right. There’s also Master Higgins’ depleting health to watch out for. Thankfully, there is an easier mode for those not up to the brutally hard normal mode.

Lastability: 4.0
    It’s a remake of an NES game, so it’s not like there was a ton of gameplay to start with. The replay value has been spiced up with a time-trial mode as well as some unlockables.

Final Score (not an average): 6.5
    The Adventure Island remake is a great trip down memory lane. Anybody looking for a fun platforming game or a vintage gameplay experience will have fun with this newly improved classic.  

• Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • Score: 0
      • View Profile
    RE: Adventure Island (GC) Review
    « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 04:48:04 PM »
    Never heard of this game...and upon reading the review, I can see why.

I just hope you didn't spend your money on it.

Offline Polemistis

• Pirate Commando Elite Space Pirate Shocktrooper!
      • View Profile
    RE:Adventure Island (GC) Review
    « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 05:16:13 PM »
    I remember this game for the SNES, haha, actually I have it, lol. It was an alright game for the SNES. I might rent this, but won't buy it as it is no way worth $69.99...or whatever it's priced...
    Currently Playing: Kirby: Canvas Curse
    Most Wanted: Next Cubed Zelda

What the hell? An Aezbit?!? PRESS L+R+B TO REBOOT SYSTEM!!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • Score: 4
      • View Profile
      • PaleHour
    « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 05:39:08 PM »
    Wait, this is our already? =P
    :: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
    ---------------------
    :: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
    • NWR Staff
    • Score: 37
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 06:06:37 PM »
    It's only $33 to import it, plus shipping.  It's a budget title in Japan...unlike Nintendo and Capcom, Hudson doesn't charge full price for its slightly updated ports.

By the way, Adventure Island is definitely a classic.  I have very fond memories of riding that skateboard, although it was VERY hard to stay on for long.  Fun game though, spawned several sequels on NES.
    THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
    • NWR Staff
    • Score: 2
      • View Profile
      • Pixel du Jour
    « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 07:37:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Polemistis
    I remember this game for the SNES, haha, actually I have it, lol. It was an alright game for the SNES. I might rent this, but won't buy it as it is no way worth $69.99...or whatever it's priced...

You're thinking of SUPER Adventure Island. This is a remake of Adventure Island for the NES.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 07:48:29 PM »
    Definitely a classic... I remember tihs one well. I had no idea it was being remade.
    "Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 08:18:58 PM »
    Yeah.  This series ended up having like 2 sequels which saw a domestic release.  It was like Hudson's answer to Mario before Bonk took off (if you call Bonk taking off).

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 11:13:14 PM »
    Hey hey hey.  Don't go dissing Master Higgins!  Many a car trip did Adventure Island 1 for Game Boy keep me occupied.  And one time, I think I even made it to the last world inside a whale or something.

I distinctly remember a LOT of ribs.
    It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2004, 06:01:31 AM »
    I remember playing these games alot back in the day.  I dont really understand why anyone can complain about the way that any game controls theese days adventure island 1 on the NES had something in common with MANY other hackjob attempts at play control. I can remember alot of games that had some  delay in the moving/ jumping of the character. part s 2 and, 3 however were improved greatly in the realm of play control as well as the inclusion of the animals that gave master higgins his many powers (much like little nemo the dream master).  Wow after all this talk of the old school i really want to play my OLD games ....... I have 2 questions for the audience.  Has anyone played and beat Raiders of the Lost Ark on Atari 2600?  If so, tell me how to get past the  big heads that shoot lasers.
    Also does anyone remember how to beat " a Boy and his Blob " from almost the beginning ? I know you can get the rootbeer "rocket" early but  you also need the orange "vitablaster" and apple "jack"to get to- and beat the king does anybody know how to find these items early?  
    " $0m3 P3OpL3 ThiNk Th@ [PLayInG] vId3O GaM3$ Iz A wA$T3 oF TiM3......... hOw MuCh TiM3 Iz Wa$t3D Ju$t [WaTcHiNg] A TeLeVizi0N????"  - Max Billouin

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 18, 2004, 11:10:12 AM »
    I know I beat Raiders on the 2600, but I don't remember getting shot by heads. Look it up on Google. The game has a pretty big cult following. I also apparently am the only person who ever beat the Atari version of ET. A feat which I can't repeat anymore.

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 07:02:20 AM »
    I can say that i beat ET too  if you need 2 know how i can refresh your memory as for raiders there was a room with a head resembling a joker. kinda BIG blue triangle hat fleshed out face complete with square eye and mouth and a white triangle beard. itr did'nt do anything untill you tried to walk above or below it then a black line would flash on screen going throughthe head and killing indy
    thanks for the tip though ill check on google
    " $0m3 P3OpL3 ThiNk Th@ [PLayInG] vId3O GaM3$ Iz A wA$T3 oF TiM3......... hOw MuCh TiM3 Iz Wa$t3D Ju$t [WaTcHiNg] A TeLeVizi0N????"  - Max Billouin