Author Topic: Deus Ex  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Deus Ex
« on: October 12, 2003, 09:29:15 AM »
There's a store around here selling Deus Ex for $10.  I know that just by saying that, I am going to have 10 people come in here and tel me to buy it.  But here's the deal.

I seriously dislike FPS games of all kinds.  I played System Shock 2, which was a precursor to Deus Ex.  I hated that game too.  I found it boring and uninteresting.  There were a grand total of 3 FPS games that I liked.  Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and America's Army.  In case you are wondering, I dislike Metroid Prime too, because it feels way too much like an FPS for my tastes.

Please try to convince me why I should give this game a chance.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:Deus Ex
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 10:22:55 AM »
If you feel that way about most FPS, you probably won't like Deus Ex either
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
RE: Deus Ex
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 10:45:44 AM »
That's exactly why I didn't snatch it up.  I mean, I can afford $10 easily enough.  I just thought there might be something special about Deus Ex with all the praise it gets.

Plus... there isn't really anything that special about the 3 FPS games I like.  

I fell in love with Goldeneye when I was sniping people from the top of a guard tower with the sniper rifle... that and the great level design.  I was a big fan of the movie, and the game felt very RIGHT.

I fell for Perfect Dark because it played exactly like Goldeneye, and the combat simulator included classic Goldeneye levels.  

America's Army I fell for when I first played the Bridge map...  I was in a camera position far above the Bridge, and I could see both sides quite well...  the snow... the general atmosphere I just ADORED.  I like bridges too, especially when there's squad level combat on them.  Bridges are about the most horrible place to engage the enemy due to the confined space, and I guess that's what I really liked about it.  It just felt good.  Whenever I blow someone's head off on that map, I still remember the first time I saw the map.  

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 10:58:16 PM »
Hmm... it's a tough call. I happen to love Deus Ex, and the only other FPS that I like are GE, PD, and TS2. I really don't think it's like your typical FPS, for the most part. It really is an RPG, in the body of a FPS. There's a pretty good amount of time spent going around town, talking to people and whatnot. As for how the game actually plays, that largely depends on how you upgrade your guy. You can go for stealth, or a real gun-toting badass. I focused on the latter (or is it former? Gah! I always get those two mixed up), so I would have to admit that there were times where it played like a typical FPS.

I like how there's more than one way to get through an area. The best example I can think of is this one area later in the game. You start out on top of a 3 story building, and it's just crawling with guards. My guy had upgrades that allowed him to take lesser damage from high falls, so I took the rather unorthodox method up just jumping off the building. This normally would've killed my guy, but with the upgrades, I only took a moderate amount of damage. Believe me, it was much easier fighting my way IN the building, than it would've been for me to fight my way OUT.

The absolute high point of the game is where you get to Hong Kong. That's where it most feels like an RPG. You wander the streets at night with neon signs everywhere. You can visit a dance club, a Buddhist temple, or the seedy back alleys. Plus, it features a bunch of white voice actors doing horrible Chinese accents. "Oh, herro. Relcome to my estabrishment." I'm serious, they say stuff almost exactly like that. It's so bad it's good. The rest of the voice acting is pretty brilliant, however.

The game does kind of falls apart towards the end. In the final few segments of the game, it really feels more like your standard FPS. Especially the very last area, which was a bit disappointing. You pretty much just go aroung shooting stuff at the end.

I'd say that about 75% of the game is absolute gold, and the other 25% is kinda... eh. Take that as you wish.

And I liked Metroid Prime. Does that completely discredit me, Ninja?
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 04:40:29 PM »
Buy it, cherish it, and make sweet, sweet love to it... <.<  >.> Okay... Maybe not that last one. But at least give it a chance. The storyline is deep enough that you might like it.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 10:52:59 PM »
Why not just download the demo and judge for yourself? That's what convinced me to buy it. There's plenty of gameplay in the demo to give you a good feel for the game.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 08:16:49 PM »
I have a "preview disc" of it (grr..) that apparently has the first 6 levels or so, but I haven't played it in a while.  My initial impressions of it are very good - the game gives you the freedom to do lots of things like hack into someone's e-mail, or choose different methods of accomplishing your goal.  There's some neat tricks, too - for example, one time I snuck into a room where a guard had his back to me, then lured him out with a proximity mine I had placed in another room so that it'd be activated by a roaming guard.  That kind of stuff is awesome, you don't get to do that in many games.  Still, if you don't like FPS, you might not like Deus Ex.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2003, 03:51:16 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys.  Urkel, you wrote a big long post to try and get me to change my mind, but really, you did discredit yourself.  You even saw it coming, which makes me feel like an ass.

And I liked Metroid Prime.

Why not just download the demo and judge for yourself?

I forgot to mention it before... but I did try the demo.  I got bored before I even finished it.  I was just kinda hoping that things picked up from there though, as I always hear good things about the game.  The thing is that I would buy it if I thought that I would actually play it.  The problem is that FPS games that play like it just bore me to tears.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2003, 07:22:08 PM »
Guys, you are getting one thing wrong.  Deus Ex is NOT purely a FPS.  It is really a First-Person RPG.  Don't let the First-Person perspective fool you.  Urkel's post said it all.

Ninja, if the demo bored you, then I doubt you will like the full game.  I fell in love with the demo which made me buy it.  Now, I can wait for the sequel.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2003, 07:37:04 PM »
AiAi, I am familiar with the concept.  like I said, I played almost all the way through System Shock 2 until it became misery to hold the mouse.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2003, 10:26:50 PM »
Eh, don't feel like an ass, Ninja. To be honest, I was a bit worried you might actually pick up the game on my recommendation, and that you would hate it, and then I'd never hear the end of it.

Anyway, if you didn't like the demo, you're not going to like the game. Simple as that.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2003, 01:24:17 AM »
System shock 2 was a better FPS RPG in terms of upgrads and the overall sytem etc, but DX has less linearity it how ou go about doing things. But then that only amounts to a. Picking the lock b. blowing/shooting the lock c.finding the key to the lock e.air vent next to door. System Shock with it's low ammo supply feels far closer to the RE series more than anything else. DX is nice but I still opt fo system shock for that FPS RPG hybrid.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?