Author Topic: New Return Of The King trailer  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Fish

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
New Return Of The King trailer
« on: October 01, 2003, 08:17:11 AM »
Lordoftherings.net

Go an get it, that just awesome, Shelob and 200,000 orcs! Best movie EVER!

My last topic about ROTK got Amazing amount of 1 reply(2 if you count my reply to that post) so let see if I can break the record, I'm going for 3 reply. You would think LOTR is worthy of some discussion.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:New Return Of The King trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 01:53:17 PM »
I downloaded the Chinese version the instant it was available, and downloaded the official one just as promptly. Holy $#!+ it's amazing. O_O The music, the images, the scale, Shelob!! I get chills everytime I watch it, especially during Aragorn's speech. December 17th is way too far away.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Oblivious

• View Profile
RE: New Return Of The King trailer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 04:34:29 PM »
WOW THAT IS AWESOME!!!

My bro told me this, I don't know how many of you have heard this but when they were making the Two Towers, they programmed the battle scenes for how the battle would go on. So they would just run the sim and then it would switch cameras during the battle and such. So when they ran the simulation for the first time, some of the warriors actually turned around and ran away from the fight!! So they had to reprogram it so they wouldn't do that! Lol, pretty funny. Just a little bit of interesting stuff ther...

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 06:14:01 PM »
I downloaded this on Monday and I was hoping I could have gone to the movies this past weekend just to watch it, but I didn't get a chance.

And yeah, Oblivious, the AI in TTT didn't run exactly how they wanted it to.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 06:34:35 PM »
Oblivious: The program is called MASSIVE. It creates hundreds of thousands of individual CG soldiers and pits them against eachother on a digitize battle field. Each solider can recognize friend or foe, decide the best way to navigate the terrain, etc- different races eve boast different fighting styles. All the special effects people really have to do is specify the beginning and ending points for each soldier and let the program simulate the rest. I'm assuming it was used for all 4 major battles- The Last Alliance, Battle of Helm's Deep, Battle of Pelenor Fields, and Battle of Moranon.

Funny story about MASSIVE- the soliders' AI is designed so that they fight in the most efficient way possible. The first time they even ran the program both sides turned and ran away.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 11:02:31 AM »
Everyone who's read the books has to agree that this WILL be te best of the movies (even thought I think it was the worst of the books) becuase of the huge war.  You thought the two towers battle was big?  you naive fool...

But I think they should've started with the Hobbit.  I haven't thought about how well it would translate into a movie, but it was my favorite book (out of LotR or of all time) even though it was the prequel.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 12:15:14 PM »
Phillipa Boyens, one of the people who wrote the LotR screenplay, said it would be very difficult to write a good adaption of the Hobbit because you have 13 main characters all interacting with eachother. Even so, Ian McKellen, who played Gandalf in LotR, said  if they ever did make a movie out of the Hobbit, he would want to play Gandalf.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2003, 04:40:13 AM »
KnowsNothing, I couldn't agree with you more. I loved the Hobbit. Flaming pinecones+wolves=FUN! It's too bad they can't handle 13 main characters. It would be great to see The Hobbit on the big screen. Ian McKellen would be awesomer than the first three. Dear Lord, I cannot WAIT for ROTK. Did you guys see Shelob? Ohhhh..... wow. By the way, Aragorn is currently gracing my desktop.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2003, 11:00:34 AM »
YEAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!!! (goes out out to by popcorn and candy and begins planning ways to sneak two truckloads of them into the cinema.)

This is gonna be a great movie. But I wonder how they are goin to fit the grey havens in (confirmed) without some reference to the liberation of the Shire.  
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 09:07:36 AM »
They showed Shelob in the trailer?!  Well that's f*cking stupid.  If there was anything that should have been kept as a surprise until the film is released that was it.  They didn't show Shelob in the preview on the Two Towers DVD so I guess that will be the only preview I watch before I see the film.  Of course the morons who made the Two Towers trailer also revealed that Gandalf didn't die so I guess it's expected that key stuff be blown.  I remember for Two Towers I tried the best I could to avoid seeing what Treebeard looked like beforehand and sure enough only days before the movie came out I accidentally saw the Treebeard action figure at Toys 'R' Us.  The way trailers are made these days if Return of the Jedi was made today they would show Darth Vader without his mask.

I think it would be really REALLY cool if the AI used in MASSIVE was put into a videogame.  Imagine a war simulation where you could be in battle with hundreds of troops that actually fought in a realistic manner instead of having every enemy target you while every ally stands there and watches.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2003, 07:12:26 AM »
"Everyone who's read the books has to agree that this WILL be te best of the movies (even thought I think it was the worst of the books) becuase of the huge war. You thought the two towers battle was big? you naive fool..."

KnowsNothing, I'd have to disagree - ROTK is simply amazing as a novel, my personal favorite, and not just because of the war.  It's excellence comes from the characters and their reactions, the decisions chosen and the sacrifices made.  It's very climactic and epic.  Just my opinion.

"They showed Shelob in the trailer?! Well that's f*cking stupid."

Ian, they only show her for a split-second.  It's not a huge spoiler.  And it can't be worse than showing Gandalf in TTT... (shudder)