Author Topic: Component Video Cable  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Piposan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Component Video Cable
« on: September 06, 2003, 06:14:36 PM »
I just got myself a 27" RCA TV. Now it's not a HDTV nor a EDTV but it does have Component Cable input. I"m currently using the S-video input for my Gamecube. I think that the graphics look pretty nice like that.  Do any of you guys know if using a component cable will still improve the graphics over the S video even though the TV isn't HDTV?

Offline mattcube

• View Profile
RE: Component Video Cable
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 08:54:32 PM »
Well I've got a 20" Toshiba Flat tube TV with component input, thats not HD. And I currently connect my GC to the TV with the component cables, and I must say that there is definitly a huge difference between that and using anolog cables (red, yellow, white). I've never used GC with S-Video, so Im not positive of the difference, but I do connect my PS2 with SVideo. And while I can't say it makes the PS2 games look much better, it does increase DVD pic quality. Anyhoo, I'd say if you're happy with how the picture looks using S-Video, don't bother shellin' out $30+ for component cables, but if you really desire the best or you have some extra cash (which, with GC's holiday line up I don't see how having extra $$$ is even possible, lol) then go for it. And besides, I've got a 56" Widescreen HDTV downstairs, and so whenever I have pals over we go down there, and let me tell you, progressive scan rocks. Too bad GC doesn't support 720p or 1080i. What I'm saying, is allways prepare for the future. There's no telling what TV you might have a year or two down the road.  
-Anathar post froom teh high inteliigince of mattcube

Offline Piposan

• View Profile
RE:Component Video Cable
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2003, 12:43:06 PM »
Yes i'm very picky when it comes to graphics. I just ordered the conponent cable from Nintendo.

Thanks I appreciate your input.  

Offline AgentSeven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2003, 12:47:40 PM »
The difference between S-Vhs and regular "A/V" cables is about 100 extra lines of resolution and S-Vhs will seperate Black from the rest of your colors, giving you what they call "true black."

The difference between Component and S-VHS is not quite as significant as the difference between S-VHS and standard "A/V" cables.  Still it is better than S-VHS as colors are seperated into their own signals, giving you better color and a sharper picture.

There is a website that I used to visit that discusses all of these issues,  I will try to find it for you..
"I am not a number, I am a free man"    "$ony=Atari Circa 1984"

Got a Defective ps2?  Go here: http://www.sheller.com/sonyPS2classaction.html

Offline Piposan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 03:45:57 PM »
I should be getting the component cable from Nintendo sometime at the end of the week. Thanks for the explanation. Let me know when you find the website, I'm really interested in the matter.  

Offline Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 10:38:34 PM »
Let me know how it turns out...I found that 27" Samsung HDTV at my work, and I get around 170 bucks off with my discount (about $530 before tax). If I get it I'm gonna order those cables.
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Name: Mike
Town: PhatCave

Offline AgentSeven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2003, 10:38:59 PM »
"I am not a number, I am a free man"    "$ony=Atari Circa 1984"

Got a Defective ps2?  Go here: http://www.sheller.com/sonyPS2classaction.html

Offline Piposan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2003, 04:12:17 PM »
Thanks AgentSeven, very useful site.  
Nintendo still hasn't ship my order yet. I'm waiting for an email from them. I'll most likely get the cable sometime friday or next week.
Griffin I'll let you know about it as soon as I get it and test it.  

Offline Piposan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2003, 05:48:31 AM »
Ok I need some inputs here.
I recieved the component cables this morning and I've tested it. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems that S video is still better. I used both the s video and the  component input together and I've been comparing them. The colors on the component seem a bit darker then they are on the S video and I'm actually liking the S video better. Maybe I have to get use to it. Am i missing something or is it just me?