Author Topic: I am officially jealous of PS4 owners.  (Read 5273 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
I am officially jealous of PS4 owners.
« on: October 28, 2014, 03:47:52 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FHNdZu7996o

That is seriously a neat feature.

Meanwhile, I can't even play NES games online.  Even though independently developed emulators have allowed this for years.

If I were in the market for a system and I wasn't obsessed with Nintendo games, this would sell the system to me.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I am officially jealous of PS4 owners.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 05:10:36 PM »
Yeah, its pretty sweet. I just wish the time limit wasn't 60 minutes.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:09:42 PM »
Hm.  that's weird.  Don't like that.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:17:12 PM »
Cericme and I are testing out Share Play right now. Share Play single-handedly makes Towerfall Ascension worth buying, because it didn't HAVE online multiplayer and now it essentially does. I've seen a bit of lag, but overall it's quite playable.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 10:07:10 PM »
It's not that VC hasn't done this kind of thing before I mean one of the 18 versions of SF2 capcom released on Wii had online.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 10:34:43 PM »
Alright, Cericme and I finished testing out Share Play, and there are definitely some mixed results. Towerfall off his PS4 worked perfectly, but we started having issues when we swapped over to my PS4 to play some Lego Marvel; Chariot; and Peggle 2. We kept having dropped connections, and Cericme was reporting some compression issues. Skylanders Swap Force actively blocks Share Play due to "content restrictions." Apparently the quality dips a bit on the guest's side when you're voice chatting, too.

That said, this feature is kind of a game-changer in terms of online play when it works. It was pretty cool playing multi off one copy of the game on games that didn't have online MP before.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 03:48:46 AM »
I wondered about the Skylanders games.  Seems like it'd be odd, since it'd require the host to have total control of the figures.

This is one of those times where I wish Nintendo would be willing to allow a miniscule dip in quality to offer a really neat service.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 10:33:10 AM »
I would also like to mention the differences in our connections. 
I have Cat6 Gigabit connection to a 5 Megabit Upload connection (50 Megabit Down now).
Broodwars is using Wifi I'm not fully sure of the speed but, I'm confident that the Upload speed is equivalent.

When it works it works.  There is definitely a priority to controls over Graphic and Sound which would be how I would want it.  When Notifications pop up the quest gets a black box.  Wish they just have a graphic saying not shown or something.  The interface is ok but not overly intuitive.  When you stop Share Play you keep your party which is cool.  We established that even if your given that host controller a second player can't join from a quest PS4.  Though the UI seems to indicate you can have up to 8.  We need more people with PS4s and a game that would take a few people, I mean Towerfall would.

I would like to mention that I think Skylanders was the only Disc game we tried unless Marvel Super Hero was on Disc.  That may have something to do with it but I doubt it.  Still sort of a bummer.

This reminds me of Adhoc Play in a way that was used for Monster Hunter.  Another thing I was wondering is if this could possibly be used with the Vita Platform.  Not sharing Vita games but allowing you to use a Vita as the quest.  That would be interesting.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:42:50 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 10:36:58 AM »
I would like to mention that I think Skylanders was the only Disc game we tried unless Marvel Super Hero was on Disc.  That may have something to do with it but I doubt it.  Still sort of a bummer.

Lego Marvel was a retail release, but my copy was digital. As for my connection, according to Speedtest.net it's 45.13 Mbps Download, 5.51 Mbps Upload.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:38:47 AM by broodwars »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 10:41:16 AM »

Lego Marvel was a retail release, but my copy was digital. As for my connection, according to Speedtest.net it's 45.13 Mbps Download, 5.51 Mbps Upload.
I figured as much.  So the difference boiled down to Lan vs Wifi.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 10:44:32 AM »

I figured as much.  So the difference boiled down to Lan vs Wifi.

Yeah, I'd prefer to be on Ethernet, but my consoles are just way too far away from my router for that to be remotely feasible. Maybe I'll be able to do that sometime in the future when I have my own place again.

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »
I am guessing this feature only works with PS4 and not PS3?
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 02:34:44 PM »
I am guessing this feature only works with PS4 and not PS3?

Yep. You're essentially Remote Playing your friend's PS4, and remote play never worked on the PS3.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 03:28:00 PM »
Yeah, the PS4 was obviously built around the idea of Remote Play at some level.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 03:34:55 PM »
This is almost exactly how I envisioned online play working on future systems, where it would be a system-wide feature instead of a game-specific feature, turning all games with multiplayer into online games. Looks like this is the start of that ideal even if it isn't quite the same, but it could be building towards it and I hope it continues from here. I imagine it would be easier on developers too, since then they wouldn't have to completely code the online themselves.

I look forward to Nintendo offering this feature in ten years. I would actually buy some VC games if they had netplay.

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 12:55:59 AM »
This is almost exactly how I envisioned online play working on future systems, where it would be a system-wide feature instead of a game-specific feature, turning all games with multiplayer into online games. Looks like this is the start of that ideal even if it isn't quite the same, but it could be building towards it and I hope it continues from here. I imagine it would be easier on developers too, since then they wouldn't have to completely code the online themselves.

I look forward to Nintendo offering this feature in ten years. I would actually buy some VC games if they had netplay.

Nintendo will be offering it in five years when they go 3rd party so hang in there. ;)
Trying to be a better person, honest.